Hybrid battery weight

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
TerryH
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TerryH »

Just a thought about hybrids. I recently read a review of a plug-in hybrid Skoda, who I reckon make pretty decent cars. The reviewer said the Skoda battery weighs 200kg. Having just lugged into the house six 1.25 litre plastic bottles of drink, I found them pretty heavy. Now, as 1 litre of liquid weighs 1kg, I had just carried 7.5kg. Hope you are following my maths. That 200kg Skoda battery is the weight of 160 of my 1.25 litre bottles. 200kg is 31.5 stone. That is a hell of a lot of extra weight to put in a car - about the equivalent of three average weight people (or two heavy drinkers!). So the car is humping that lot around before anyone actually gets in the vehicle. The reviewer said the Skoda was sluggish in driving off and he said he was aware of the battery weight. Also, of course, the battery reduced the size of the boot considerably - by 150 litres.

My point is this... I recently decided to buy a Qashqai N-Motion (my second Qq) rather than wait for the Qashqai hybrid. If these are the kind of problems I might encounter with a hybrid, I'm glad I stuck to non-hybrid petrol. I just hope Nissan get it right. Skoda clearly have not.

A link to the review is below...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/moto ... w-23286788
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, I do not think this will be the same problem on the new QQ, this is an old Autocar comment which might help - Dave 😊

The first, more conventional offering is an updated version of the 1.3-litre turbo engine found in many current Nissan, Renault and Mercedes models. All versions feature a 12V mild-hybrid system, selected for being more affordable than a 48V set-up, mated to a small lithium ion battery to offer torque assist and improved stop-start functionality. Adding 22kg to the powertrain kerb weight, the mild-hybrid system also offers fuel economy improvements and a claimed 4g/km reduction in CO2, although homologation figures have yet to be provided.

The more advanced offering is a new ePower hybrid system, which isn’t a plug-in but differs from parallel hybrids because the engine isn’t directly connected to the wheels. Instead, it charges a battery, which in turn powers an electric motor to drive the wheels. The system has proved hugely popular in Japan, thrusting the relatively old Note supermini into the biggest seller in its segment. Nissan claims it has been “significantly upgraded” for European customers, however, with a 47%-larger electric motor and a more powerful combustion engine.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
TerryH
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TerryH »

Interestingly, Nissan have announced they will be making all their batteries in Sunderland. Good news for the workers there. Just hope they don't weigh a ton.
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

My brother's Tesla 3 (1,726 to 1,847 kg) weighs nearly twice as much as my Ignis (895 to 940 kg) - but inside it's not that much different in size inside. Goes a bit quicker!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)