Rattle from passenger side of dash on startup - FIX

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Gary-Dublin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Gary-Dublin »

Hi all,

I just thought I would share this fix, as I have not seen it mentioned in various different posts with the same problem.

It sounded like there was a rattle coming from the passenger air vent in my 2017 Nissan Qashqai. I left it back to Nissan 4-5 times under warranty trying to get it sorted, but each time it came back with the same rattle. In the end I decided to investigate myself, so I removed the end cap on the passenger side of the dash and placed some padding inside, along with padded tape all along the edges. This removed one of the rattles, but still it sounded like there was a rattle inside the dash. I removed the plastic trim that goes from the radio to the passenger air vent, one of the white plastic clips that clips into the dash was loose, I put some hockey tape on the white plastic clip that rattled, then attached it back to the dash. I heard no rattle, until the following morning again when it was cold starting up, again it sounded like it was coming from inside the dashboard, just above the glovebox. When I was down on my knee trying to look up inside the dash from behind the glovebox, I noticed the plastic cover on the centre console (where the gear stick and cup holders are in the middle of the car) on the passenger side was loosely fitted. I placed my fingers in behind the plastic part closest to where the footrest is, there is a plastic tube/wire in behind with a cable tie holding it, the cable tie is cut so it must have been hitting off the inside of the plastic. I placed some foam in behind the plastic on the passenger side and hey presto.... not a single rattle from the car now for over a week. The rattle was driving me crazy, as it only really happened when the car was cold. It went away after the car was driving for a few minutes, making it hard to pinpoint where exactly it was coming from. I hope this fix is helpful to someone else.

The photo added is where I placed the foam to fix the rattle.

1.jpg

lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Hi Gary

I think it will be quite useful!
I have the same kind of annoying rattle coming from the dash; on my LHD car however.
The noise is situated right between the most right airvent in front of the passenger and that little vent just on top. Just under the A-style.
It is particularly present when driving on bad roads (almost all roads down here :lol: ) and indeed it is driving me crazy as well.

Quite hard to troubleshoot though as you should have someone driving while searching yourself...
Mentioned it to the dealership recently when the car was in for the accident repair and he told me "these kind of noises aren't covered by the warranty" ?? :roll:

Anyway, I already saw a video of that Italian channel were he covers about the whole back of the air vent with tape and claims it helps.
However, when I opened the side panel of the dash the air vent seems to be quite well attached.
I figured that maybe something was hitting on top of the glove box panel, there were the little light is installed as well.
Will have a look at your idea as well. Never would have figured that a noise from down there would rattle high up there?

Kr
Niek
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

Luckily I've managed to fix/cure all of the rattles in our QQ. Took lots of time and effort but well worth it. Only one that I couldn't trace is the annoying metallic squeak/chirping sound coming from behind the radio and aircon/heating facia but as I type this the car is back with the Dealership for the third time to hopefully have this sorted out. Thankfully this time they allowed the Technician to accompany me on a test drive so that he could hear the sound for himself. He agreed that the sound was there and during the drive put it down to the air conditioning pipes behind the dash vibrating together. They have had the car now since Monday and we have a brand new Juke as a courtesy car, cannot fault the service team at all trying to cure this, they have been exemplary.
Anyhow back to rattles, one persistent one that took ages to pin point and cure was the removable panel at the rear of the glove box, it is the one behind the black elastic stap.
Whilst my glove box was removed if you tapped it with your finger it rattled, I used black electricians tape to hold it down behind the panel, still rattled, so I took it apart, put tiny strips of adhesive felt tape in the channels where it clips into the glove box, took a wee while having to place, replace in different spots until it fit correctly, taped it back up on the rear (don't think I'll be removing it in the future) and it's now completely silent. Unfortunately I didn't think to take photos of my fixes so I've borrowed a few from the internet and added text so hopefully they may be of help.

s-l1600 (2)_kindlephoto-131228767.jpg

I too did something very similar to what Gary did, I cut up several old yellow car wash sponges and filled the voids and no more noises. The dash end panels had felt applied to their retaining clips, removed the passenger side air vent, took out the Philips head screw and pulled out the vent, applied strips of the felt tape to the metal spring tabs, electricians tape over the white tabs and re-fitted.

s-l1600 (4)_kindlephoto-134079697.jpg

For the two tiny vents on each side of the dash top I tried to remove them but to no avail, so I cut very thin strips of the felt tape and using the trim removal tool (a very small screw driver could be used) I pushed the strips into the gaps on all sides, you cannot see the strips and the vents are tight and no movement.

The piano black plastic trim that goes from the left air vent to the radio also rattled, using a trim tool I carefully took it off and put thin strips of adhesive felt tape over the expanding securing clips that hold it in place, pushed it back into position and now silent, I also did this with the four black plastic door trims.
I did the same with the double central air vents securing tabs, these are small metal spring types, put electrician's tape over the white retaining clips that hold the silver trim to the vent, wrapped electrician's tape over the foam padding, just two layers and not too thick and replaced the vent, again totally silent and rock solid.

s-l1600 (2)_kindlephoto-129484223.jpg

I replaced all the door cards and whilst re-fitting I replaced the white securing clips with new ones that have neoprene type material washers to help stop vibrations. I had an annoying squeak on the drivers door panel if you used the armrest or pushed on the plastic parts, again all door panels are solid with no noise.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

I appreciate that all cars have different rattles/squeaks and not all owners have the ability to take the panels apart and take the time to find and cure the relevant noises but for me it is worth the time spent.
I hope that this may be of help to someone.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

I definitely will check on that glove box part as it clearly comes from somewhere there. Thanks!
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

As with all our Qashqai's it's just a matter of taking the time and effort to find where the noises are coming from and hopefully eliminating them.
Lapalmeraie, with your car being left hand drive is your passenger air vent similar to the right hand drive car? Being that it has to be removed differently than the the opposite side, with my drivers side vent, I have to pry off the silver trim carefully and then try and unclip the Air vent housing from inside the dash, I remember seeing this done on YouTube somewhere and thought that it looked extremely fidly, as my drivers side vent is rock solid and rattle free I've not tried to remove it.

Had the car back from the Dealership yesterday.
They finally diagnosed the persistent metallic squeak/rattle behind the dash board, traced it to 'a fault to heater matrix pipes resonating under certain circumstances. Realigned heater matrix pipes'
I can now say that the car has no squeaks, creaks, rattles, or knocking whatsoever and is a total pleasure to drive and be driven in.
I cannot praise the Service team enough at the Dealership, they have definitely looked after us since purchasing the car.

Next on my list is to source a spare wheel and associated parts and ditch the foam spray.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

I finally could locate mine as well and fixed it