1st time buyer advice?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
CCG
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by CCG »

Hi everyone

I am looking forward to buy the new QQ (hopefully Tekna, if not N-Connecta at least to have the Wireless Apple CarPlay feature) but I there a lot of things that come to mind that I would rather have honest people advising than just a random seller at the dealer.

Don't get me wrong here, I am sure there are people out there that do a great job and try to match their customers' needs but as I am new both to the brand (owned a VW Polo 😅) and the country (moved in a few months ago) hence my request ;)

What things should I consider having on my new car besides the usual customization?

Currently I am completely lost around:

- Insurance: confused.com?
- Nissan Extended Warranty & Service Plan?
- Delivery dates after order fulfilled?

Any other things to take into account would be fantastic! The idea is to use this car only for entertainment as driving in London seems unnecessary!

Thank you !

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

CCG, firstly welcome to the Forum !. Hopefully this is not a Boring question but you mention “New” but do you actually mean New or a New to you “Used” QQ. Also are you referring to the J11B QQ’s presently on the Market or the Very New J12 which has been launched but yet to be seen except for the Launch Models - Dave 😉

You mention orders and delivery dates, the J11B is I believe no longer produced but is still around and in Stock and the J12 is in production.
Before you confirm, we have had the J11 & now the J11B Tekna Models and IMHO if you can stretch your budget, then the Top Models are the way to go with all the “Bells & Whistles” which should meet your needs.
I cannot really help you on your 3 questions as I live in Berlin and there are sometimes Country Differences.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I have a J11B, it does not have wireless Apple play, you have to connect with a cable via the USB port in the armrest cubby between the front seats.
I went for the 1.3 with the automatic gearbox and it’s a Tekna and worth the extra money.
I also paid for the Nissan service plan, it was cheaper (comparing published prices) overall and it spreads the cost of servicing.
Delivery was about 7 weeks, because I was very specific about colour, engine and gearbox.
For example I could have had a grey diesel Tekna almost immediately.
Insurance - phone around or check out comparison websites.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I generally use gocompare.com for insurances (house, bike, car) but don't always buy through the site sometimes going direct particularly if it gets me a better offer. Since you seem to have come from abroad (assuming you don't mean you've moved from Scotland to England for example) you may find it expensive if your past (no) claims record isn't valid here.

Since you appear to want to buy new, then extended warranty won't be required to be taken out until shortly before the car's third birthday. I didn't buy a service plan since only a two-year one was offered and it was the same virtually as the two separate services combined in cost. I have one with my present car though since it was much cheaper taking a Suzuki service contract rather than the dealer I'm using. So you need to check what you're offered.

DaveBerlin has summarised the position regarding production presently.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

If you're only using a car for "entertainment" and not work or day-to-day living as you suggest, then do you actually NEED a car?

Wouldn't it be more logical to simply rent one whenever you have a reason?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
CCG

Post by CCG »

Hey thanks a lot for your prompt answers to both (Mike&Dave).

With regards to new, I mean that I never owned a Qashqai, only a VW Polo since 2009 back in Europe!

I am quite keen to get the Tekna J12 version as long as insurance does not go through the roof! It does have a lot of convenient perks.. And even though I am used to manual cars I would definitely take an automatic one this time!

The service plan seems to be quite comfortable in terms of spreading the cost and specially since I do not have a trusted mechanic I might go for that as well..

Insurance - maybe someone knows which companies are good/bad? E.g I have heard AVIVA on TV commercials but that is all!

Also I have stumbled across carwow and it looks like you can get some discounts (£900 for the Premiere edition for instance). Maybe this could be something to use to make my dealer level up?
Last edited by CCG on Sun May 16, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCG

Post by CCG »

gloucester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 pm If you're only using a car for "entertainment" and not work or day-to-day living as you suggest, then do you actually NEED a car?

Wouldn't it be more logical to simply rent one whenever you have a reason?
I just saw your 2 posts after sending my last reply.

To answer this one first, the idea is to use it for entertainment to start with given that we work from home but I am definitely going to use much more in the future (for work and also for finding my future place to live 😊).

I actually thought about renting in the meantime, thanks a lot anyways for raising this point
CCG

Post by CCG »

gloucester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:42 pm Welcome to this forum.

I generally use gocompare.com for insurances (house, bike, car) but don't always buy through the site sometimes going direct particularly if it gets me a better offer. Since you seem to have come from abroad (assuming you don't mean you've moved from Scotland to England for example) you may find it expensive if your past (no) claims record isn't valid here.

Since you appear to want to buy new, then extended warranty won't be required to be taken out until shortly before the car's third birthday. I didn't buy a service plan since only a two-year one was offered and it was the same virtually as the two separate services combined in cost. I have one with my present car though since it was much cheaper taking a Suzuki service contract rather than the dealer I'm using. So you need to check what you're offered.

DaveBerlin has summarised the position regarding production presently.
Thank you for help! Very useful 😊 so basically the warranty is 3 years from what I have understood.. that seems to give a peace of mind. Is the Nissan Qashqai a reliable car or it does give headaches from time to time?

Regarding insurance I am going to try to see if I can talk with the company to accept my NCB from my current EU insurance company. I know that they don't have to, but maybe they can take it into account. I will run simulations/quotes online without NCB anyways to be on the safe side!
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I thought I'd just check the feasibility of my suggestion and, yes, it does seem fine - here's an example for a three day weekend with unlimited mileage. OK there is "Collision Damage Waiver with £1,500 excess" but when I've travelled abroad I've taken out annual CDW Excess Insurance to cover that (albeit never had to use it).

weekend away.JPG

Are you looking to buy outright or via a monthly payment finance deal of some kind?

For example bearing in mind the interest rate on this deal - the first I've found: https://www.buyacar.co.uk/nissan/qashqa ... ceType=PCP - isn't the lowest at 7.9%, and the car is only an N-Connecta (almost certainly J11B not J12) - and you're paying £429 per month on a zero deposit over 48 months. And you'll have road tax and insurance on top of that.
CCG

Post by CCG »

gloucester wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:12 pm I thought I'd just check the feasibility of my suggestion and, yes, it does seem fine - here's an example for a three day weekend with unlimited mileage. OK there is "Collision Damage Waiver with £1,500 excess" but when I've travelled abroad I've taken out annual CDW Excess Insurance to cover that (albeit never had to use it).

weekend away.JPG

Are you looking to buy outright or via a monthly payment finance deal of some kind?

For example bearing in mind the interest rate on this deal - the first I've found: https://www.buyacar.co.uk/nissan/qashqa ... ceType=PCP - isn't the lowest at 7.9%, and the car is only an N-Connecta (almost certainly J11B not J12) - and you're paying £429 per month on a zero deposit over 48 months. And you'll have road tax and insurance on top of that.
Definitely I am keeping that in mind, I might need/want to suddenly have a ride somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I do value your POV but I know that I am going to need the car pretty soon once COVID is over.

My idea is to pay upfront, unless the finance was really low. I am doing careful planning with regards to running costs that I already have.

The insurance might be a problem if they don't accept my previous NCB and it goes into thousands of £. I do understand that it is not the same driving in one country vs another but definitely it should be worth.