How to prevent the battery from going flat?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Konanastass
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Konanastass »

Hi everyone,

I own a 2016 Nissan Qashqai. We're planning to have long-term holidays (2 months) in the summer and I was wondering what I can do to prevent the battery from going flat. The car will be parked on the driveway outdoors and be susceptible to weather elements. The battery is of start/stop technology. Some ideas I have researched are:

1) Get a trickle charger / batter maintainer. Not really possible as the car will be outside and cannot connect to a mains - not going to be monitored, plus weather elements.
2) Get a solar charger. A bit better solution, but again, the car is not going to be monitored and leaving the cables under the hood for all this time is making me uneasy. Plugging it to the 12v car lighter could work, but I've read conflicting opinions so far, with some saying it actually drains the battery even faster (as far as I know the car lighter remains usable, even with the ignition off).
3) Getting a friend or a relative to come round and start the car normally, and keep the engine running for like 10-15 minutes. I don't want them to actually drive the car on their own as it's very risky. Again, not the ideal solution as the battery will not re-charge optimally while the car is idle.
4) Disconnect one or both battery poles. Is this optimal/safe for a Qashqai, including the fact that the battery is a start/stop one?
5) Leave it as it is and hope for the best upon return. Jump-start the car or recharge the battery with a charger in case it goes flat. The battery is still under warranty as well.

This issue is doing my head in, so any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Gel

Post by Gel »

I've had a solar charger on my wife's Estate for many a year; plugged into the trunk's lighter socket; it's permanently live.
Never had an issue with battery draining.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

Disconnect the battery. They are stored for months from manufacturer to fitting, so 2 months shouldn't make much difference.

Just make sure it's as fully charged as possible.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
RiveriaMan
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by RiveriaMan »

Hi
Option 6, you could put it back into extended storage mode, with the white fuse block in the glove box fuses. I think that this is mentioned in the owners manual.

F3FE9200-DFA5-44FC-8F03-3F204719BFE8.png

Qashqai J11 2017 1.5 dci N-Connecta - Upgraded Horn - Upgraded Boot Lights - Bonnet Gas Struts - Hard Wired Dash Cam (Front/Rear) Dynamic Turn Indicators (Front/Mirror), Twin Exhaust Muffler, LED Interior, Reverse, Glove Box, Footwell, Puddle Lights.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

According to Nissan diagnostics there is a procedure before disconnecting the Batt. I believe it ensures all power has been isolated from potentially damaging the vehicle electronics. "Stuff happens"...as somebody once said. I've never done it but did have an RAC man do it and I wasn't paying attention.

Our vehicles are primarily powered by the Batt but also include a Power Distribution system (IPDM). Its the IPDM unit that has to be effectively depleted of residual power and control when the ignition is OFF...hence the said procedure.

Stop/Start is about high rate/fast charging of such SS Batts compared to old Lead Acid types...nothing more

Personally I'd leave the Batt connected and get a friend/neighbour to watch out for the car...kicking off the alarm for instance.

The vehicle will consume some power under a Sleep Mode when Ign OFF and doors locked...however, that would not deplete a battery in 2 months. Its extremely small and keeps the security system.... monitoring. A good Batt won't be affected.

If your Batt is holding at about 12 to 12.5v over a couple of days I wouldn't worry.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Konanastass

Post by Konanastass »

Hi all, thanks for the responses, much appreciated. The shipping mode really intrigued me and, after googling it a bit, it does seem some like the most sensible option for my scenario. I won't disconnect the battery and I'll put the car into shipping mode just before we leave. And hope for the best!

Cheers all
iang

Post by iang »

Mine started OK after being in storage for four months
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Can you not buy a spare battery and jumper leads and attach the two battery's to start the car does not have to be stop start spare and you can charge before use
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car