Headlights

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Cscars
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Cscars »

Hi all
I have a 2018 qashqai and have just upgraded the headlights and main beam to led
The high beam works but not the low beam

Is there anything I have done wrong or are they just plug and play

I know on some cars you have to lock and unlock cars to reset lights

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

The unfortunate news is that you've wasted your time and money. The MoT regulations have recently been updated to ban LED bulbs in headlights designed for halogen bulbs:

Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... tion-4-1-1

Note it's also a MAJOR fail:

Light source and lamp not compatible - Major
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Besides form the legal discussion. Try simply the turn the connector around. I guess you just mixed op + and - and then LED doesn't work.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

It's a strange world is it not.
Government just announced a ban on halogen bulbs sales and promotes the use of LED at home and business to save energy, but bans Led in cars meant for halogen which will increase energy and produce an inferior light source, although some may feel differently, it is a weird world when it comes to energy policy.
The biggest issue with LED conversions is people using the wrong beam pattern bulbs and causing excessive light scatter to other road users.
mrugby
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

It is. But I never had issues with the pattern nor had complaints of other drivers about them while I drove almost 4 years with them all over Western Europe.
It’s more the Xenon lights that causes the blinding effect with their super blueish light imho.

This said, original LED headlight units also have an autolevel function in order to compensate the weight distribution in the car. You don’t have the manual switch on the dashboard as would have a halogene car.
Not sure what adjusting this level manually would do to the aftermarket installed LED bulbs…
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS