Air Conditioning issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
crazyapple
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by crazyapple »

Hi All,

I was wondering if it's only me facing this issue. Last summer my 2017 Qashqai air conditioner stopped working, so I went to the dealer. He told me the condenser was damaged, possibly due to debris, and needs replacing. Wasn't covered under warranty. I argued with Nissan it should, they gave be a discount of a couple hundred quid and I bit the bullet and got the repairs done.

Come this summer, I'm facing the same issue again. I'm worried the dealer is going to tell me the same story. I have read in this forum and elsewhere about the condenser being in a vulnerable position to easily cause this damage.

The car isn't even running that much. It shouldn't need gas charge in a year, right?

Any suggestion? Anyone else facing similar issue with the air conditioning?

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sorry this might seem a bit vague, but this problem seems to still be haunting many QQ Owners, most likely some have just accepted the problem and lived with it, but when the Heat Like now here @ 37*C comes you really feel it.
The original problem was related to a Bad Batch of Condensers and in our case the Black Marks that appeared were the evidence of the Gas Leak and our Dealer installed a New Condenser and it worked for around 4 years until we sold it. Most of the feedback from Dealers appears to be regarding Checking, Re-gassing etc and this all costs, but the problem still appears to be there.
Attached is just one of many Posts that can be found and read in "Search" which is well worth a read to get the Facts especially if you want to question Nissan.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10865&p=84020&hili ... old#p84020
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Yep...they'll leak via the poor quality Condenser pipe work fitted to 2017 vehicles at production. As Dave says above.

My Condenser failed at the edges (pipe joins)...not seen stone hits. I think they fail anywhere within the structure really.

I used a mobile A/C guy who applied a mesh over the new Condenser he fitted as his standard. He said he replaced many QQ Condensers evidenced by 3 more he carried on the van. He had the the front of my car off in a flash so was well familiar with this game. No hang ups/guessing there.

The procedure for changing components in the A/C system is not difficult but requires care and correct tools/materials. Inadequacy here could allow the system to contaminate/leak. You won't know until sometime later and particularly if a slow leak. My Condenser failed with four oily edge leaks, slowly over time last winter. Likely sequential behaviour.

The dealers will always quote annual A/C checks within scheduled service periods...and that requires very expensive gas, perhaps more if seals have failed?

This expensive A/C gas game is controlled by Honeywell...sole licence. At the price point of this gas I would not be expecting annual top ups. Perhaps 3 years and I'd be somewhat narked then.
Last edited by calnorth on Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
crazyapple

Post by crazyapple »

DaveBerlin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:43 am
calnorth wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 am
Wow, this helps a lot both of you. I am going to involve Dealer and Nissan customer care as they both were involved in fixing this last year. Let's see what happens. Will try to find an independent A/C guy like what calnorth suggested as well. Will post an update soon.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Mobile A/C man: Nationwide

www.coolcaraircon.co.uk

Condenser complete change was £320 and took approx 3hrs on the drive. Done 3 months back and good. Man was very competent in South Brum Area

I don't use my 2017 QQ much but that don't matter as regards this Condenser failure
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta