Calling 1.2 Petrol Owners

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Mr_G
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Mr_G »

olafmol wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 am I believe the range of possibly affected VIN numbers was later extended to the *entire* series

Oh balls !!!!

If I went to see a car, how can I check if work has been dont to rectify previously??

Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

When we purchased the car back in March we had a few teething problems which have now all been rectified under warranty, however one issue was low oil showing on the dipstick and this was immediately after a pre purchase service?
Nissan took the car in for a check, oil sample was taken for analysis and came back gtg, oil topped up to the correct level and all has been fine so far.
If you're buying from a Nissan Dealership and have a car in mind I would ask them for As much information as possible, but if the car is around the 5 year old mark with no known issues I wouldn't hesitate buying it, best to get a Nissan extended warranty though just for peace of mind regarding the usual QQ faults, which luckily most of our crowd don't/haven't suffered.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
olafmol

Post by olafmol »

Mr_G wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:35 am
olafmol wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 am I believe the range of possibly affected VIN numbers was later extended to the *entire* series

Oh balls !!!!

If I went to see a car, how can I check if work has been dont to rectify previously??

you can check with a Nissan dealer in the maintenance database.

TBH, most 1.2 petrol QQ's are probably just fine, as posts on the internet will mostly be about problems, and thus give a very skewed and negative view. You can check in the maintenance DB, you can also check the exhaust for black dirt, check the oil level/consumption, and maybe check the engine chain(?).
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

I agree with Olafmol,
You tend to hear or read the negatives of any make/model of car.
I along with probably most on the Forum would tell you to go ahead, importantly though as most have said, check, check, check ✔ and if everything passes you're gtg.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
Mr_G
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Mr_G »

We're looking for a private sale, as you can have a sensible chat with the actual owner of the car, but private sales are few and far between. It may end up being an independant garage.

I will show the wife some cars and see what she thinks.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

See if this helps it’s been around some time so some have seen it already - Dave 🤫

6F2F6EEB-2F0D-4E37-9C46-12054C324FFE.jpeg

89038AAE-776F-49DC-BCE6-A22D0528928D.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Mr_G wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:45 pm We're looking for a private sale, as you can have a sensible chat with the actual owner of the car, but private sales are few and far between. It may end up being an independant garage.

I will show the wife some cars and see what she thinks.
A major repair or even replacement engine will be recorded in the car's history.
Don’t know if it will get into the service record but it should be accessible to a Nissan dealer.
Personally, I’d buy from a main dealer. It’s true that you won’t get to quiz the owner (who might or might not be truthful - or even a dodgy dealer masquerading as a private seller as I once learnt to my [enormous] cost) but the other benefits should be reassuring.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Wasnt the new 1.3 engine a revised cylinder head , and retained the bottom end - or vice versa , I cant recall
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Buffy, I think you will find that the 1,3L is a different animal to the 1,2L as there is such a range of improvements made to this Renault / Nissan / MB Motor. Here are a couple of comments on what you mentioned if of interest - Dave 😉

Cylinder head : The new engine's compact form allows for more room under the bonnet, as well as reducing overall vehicle weight. It features a new triangular-shaped ‘delta' cylinder head. The injectors are centrally installed for better combustion
The exhaust manifold is partially integrated into the cylinder head for more efficient cooling of exhaust gas and more efficient combustion, particularly at low engine speeds and high loads
A Gasoline Particulate Filter has been added. The filter destroys particles in the exhaust gases by trapping them in a microporous honeycomb structure that regenerates automatically at regular intervals

Bore spray coating : For the first time the Alliance is applying this technological innovation to a volume model's engine
Using a plasma torch, a fine film of very hard steel is sprayed on the shafts of the cylinders to enhance heat conductivity during combustion
Aside from creating significant savings in mass, this technique greatly decreases uncontrolled detonations (clicking) in the engine and increases the compression rate for greater efficiency
Bore spray coating is responsible for a 1% reduction in consumption and emissions
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
olafmol

Post by olafmol »

great info @DaveBerlin! To my cynical mind, the main reason for "upgrading" the engine probably has to do with the inherit design-mistakes in the 1.2 petrol engine. Of course, the 1.3 engine seems to be much improved (it's used in the Mercedes A-series if i'm not mistaken?).