1st Nissan initial thoughts and findings

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Lfcevans
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Lfcevans »

Hi again. Just to finish this

Car went into a Nissan Dealers at 8.30 prompt on Monday and they let me use a courtesy car (Nissan Juke automatic) I told them about the system update etc to see if it was a problem they had had before and they said they had never experienced it on any Nissan before.

I asked how long it would take to run the diagnostics and they said a few hours it will be done by the end of the day.

Got the car back end of play Tuesday to be told the battery just needed a really good charge as it was most probably sitting on the garage forecourt for a while.
They said they had run lots of diagnostics on it and couldn't find anything that was draining the battery. They also had time to do a 25 point health check and send me a video of them checking the tyres and brakes on the Monday.
So it seems to me it was the infotainment system update that caused the problem and the AA man was correct that it was causing a drain on the battery, Now the update has been done there is no drain on the battery.

It could also have been that the battery wasn't fully charged when I received the car and thats why the small drain trying to update caused it to go flat overnight. If it was fully charged when I got it, it may have still had enough power in the battery the next morning to start the car.
I can't say 100% that the battery needed a good charge and that was the problem all along or that the software update was the sole reason causing it. But there was a small drain on the battery (according to AA man) and now its gone.

Hopefully this problem will not happen again

This may help someone with a similar problem in the future

phatboy

Post by phatboy »

Thanks.
I wonder how they got the update to apply, as mine just fails continuously!
2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160
Lfcevans

Post by Lfcevans »

phatboy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:11 am Thanks.
I wonder how they got the update to apply, as mine just fails continuously!

IHi.
I applied the software update myself as soon as the AA man told me about it. there was a message on the screen prompting me to do it. 20-25 mins and 2 updates done
Lfcevans

Post by Lfcevans »

OK so had the car nearly 6 mths now and thought I would give an update

Had 2 issues with the emergency brake assist system, The 1st was when overtaking a parked car and the brakes slammed on caused car to skid a little in the middle of the road (only happened the once a few months ago) the 2nd was in fog last week the EBA fault light was flashing but car was working normally. assumed the fog was the cause as no issues since.

Car seemed to be taking longer and longer to start over the past couple of weeks until this morning when it wouldn't start and flattened the battery. Battery is charging as I post this with a "smart" charger so will see if the battery is faulty or just the cold weather affecting it. Its got the Renault logo on the battery so assume its not the original one

My 1st car with a rear parking camera but its pretty much useless in the winter on dark wet nights as it has moisture on it and can't make out what the picture is on the screen.

Local town driving getting 50mpg and longer distances getting around 70mpg

All in all comfortable to drive, good fuel economy, but just having issues with the electrical extras. not sure if this is just a Nissan problem or a general problem affecting these devices on all cars
Lfcevans

Post by Lfcevans »

Just to add that the auto wiper setting is very hit and miss as well. Very slow to react to rain and either to slow in heavy rain or to fast in slight drizzle compared to my old pug one

Battery is fine after a charge so will take her for a long run this morning
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

The wipers are like that - not as good as BMW in terms of sensitivity
Lfcevans

Post by Lfcevans »

Just an update on the battery

I fully charged it yesterday evening ready for cold temp last night. Started no issues this morning. Left for 8 hrs in work and wouldn't start
Called the AA which took 30 mins to get through but thats another issue. Connected power pack to battery and nothing, coming up with no "adblue" fault. He left to get some. He came back an hour later and topped it up. He connected power pack again and it started but adblue fault still showing. He tried to erase it with his computer but couldn't so assumed it was the adblue pump at fault.
Once running he checked the battery and said it was faulty. £216 for a new one fitted. I declined his offer.

As I drove away the adblue fault went away and didn't come back on. Its been sitting for 3 hrs after a 10 minute journey home and just been out to see if it will start. Started 1st time, so took it for a 30 min jaunt on the bypass and parked it up.

I asked why the battery was so expensive and his reply was "better technology" but won't last as long as old batteries.

I was told by dealership adblue was topped up and should last about 12000 miles. Aa man said adblue full tank will last 2500-3000 miles. He added 7 ltrs and charged £32.
So, If it was topped up by dealers, I have done about 3000 miles, that would make sense, but I didn't get any warning at all of low adblue levels. The only time I saw it was when the battery was flat

I have no idea, but will read the manual tomorrow when I get some time to see fluid levels etc
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

when did adblue come in - my J11 didnt have it on a 66 plate
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Buffy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:04 pm when did adblue come in - my J11 didnt have it on a 66 plate
Something like 2018/19 so that coincides with J11B.
When I bought my 2019 Tekna I could have had a diesel within a week but not only was I reducing the mileage I covered but also felt cautious around the introduction of the system. Additionally I wanted to switch to an automatic and therefore it had to be petrol
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)