Cannot get reverse!!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gudge76

Post by gudge76 »

I have just got into my acenta premium 1.5dci to go for a drive and can't get reverse anybody any ideas or had same problem. The cars just over 3 months old. Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

All this is based on the assumption that you have a manual gear box rather than xtronic....As reverse gear has no syncro, this can sometimes result in the reverse gear being "out of place". Often sticking it in first, then selecting reverse often sorts it.... You should not have to drive it forward, or even pull up the clutch, just the action of sticking it in first should do it most times!If that does not fix it, try moving the car forward in 1st a tiny bit then re-try. If that does not work, then does the pull up collar on the gear selector feel normal or looser than normal? Do the reverse lights and rear camera come on at any point? Any gear crunching? If the engine was switched off are you able to get it into reverse?
gudge76

Post by gudge76 »

Hi thanks for reply.

Yes car is manual.

Have tried all of the above and none of them work.

Reverse lights or camera don't come on at any point but to be honest it doesn't feel as though I'm anywhere near actually getting it in to reverse.
Deleted User 759

I am guessing since you have had the car 3 months, it has worked at some point... and that you are aware that you need to lift a collar on the gear stick before you pop it into reverse (sorry if you already know this, but not always obvious to some people!!). Does it go into 1st and drive forward? Are you in a position to drive 'down the road' and re-try? Any odd noises? How does the clutch feel, same biting point as before?
gudge76

Post by gudge76 »

Hi Splank,

Thanks again for the reply.

Just had the RAC out to look at it who have found a 10mm bolt stuck behind the linkage.

Car was in the garage last week and they obvious misplaced a bolt that somehow found its way to just the right spot.

Can't actually believe it!!
biggster

Post by biggster »

Sheesh - glad they found the problem and everything is OK now.
Pearl Black 1.5dci Tekna - Chrome Mirrors, Chrome Door Strips, Chrome Front lip finisher, Chrome Lower Boot Strip, Mats...
Deleted User 759

geez! Glad it was something simple and the problem happened where it did.... imagine the fault occurring part way through a 3 point turn!
Jonnyqq

Post by Jonnyqq »

Hi Gudge76'
I don't want to alarm you, but do they know where the ( misplaced ) bolt came from
Goodoldqq
gudge76

Post by gudge76 »

Hi Jonnyqq,We spent about 40 minutes last night looking and can't find any missing. Although it will be going to the garage today for them to check.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

Don't worry a few of us have found them lying about, I've found two in my boot so far!.
Goodbye Qashqai, Hello Ford Kuga, much quieter ride and a decent sound system :)