Problems

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Gel"]
Will keep an eye in rear view mirror![/QUOTE]A picture tells a million words!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.

PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="ivelina"]Well, I am "someone with hardly any clue about engine designs" and this was my simplification of the following document (with apologies for those who have already read it on another thread), supplied by Nissan Customer Services in answer to me asking them to explain how the DPF on my car works, and why the DPF warning light had been removed on the new QQ: Customer Service Information BulletinOIL CHANGE SUPERVISORInformation Booklet. In normal use, the engine oil can be expected to last for this period without excessive degradation. However on OCS equipped vehicles the actual service interval is shown in the dashboard display in order to keep you informed. This information is provided each time the engine is started and will look like the picture below.Service in1250To ensure optimal engine performance and longevity, Nissan recommends that you adhere to this servicing indicator as well as the maintenance information provided within the Warranty Booklet.[/QUOTE]Having reread this again and linked it (in my mind) along with another thread relating to Service due in 'n' miles I wonder if this is really one and the same thing? Perhaps it's not a mistake and an incorrect entry by the garage - maybe it's the system telling us that the oil needs to be changed? Help!
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Yes, PeterL, that is correct. I got a message reading exactly "Oil Service due in 352 miles" (note, not just service but "oil service") and I ignored it, thinking that it was incorrectly set service interval (the manual did not suggest anything about the "variable" service interval). Which led to the deteriorated oil causing my EMS light to light up and the car to go into limp mode. With all these comments/complaints given to the garage, they still could not figure out what the problem was, blamed the blocked DPF on my driving, and were clueless as to how to make the EMS light go off and my car to go back into normal mode. Which was eventually done by "Nissan retracing the whole car software to fix the issue". I am still not sure what the problem was, as the garage colour all their communications in "customer friendly" speak, so had to build the picture from what I read on forums, and what I was told separately by Nissan Customer service. So yeah, if you get the Oil Service due in xxx miles message, PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE IT AND HAVE IT CHANGED as it is the OCS telling you that the oil needs changing due to it having gone through enough DPF regens.
New Qashqai, 1.6 DCI Tekna, registered March 2014, 22500 miles on the clock
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="ivelina"]Yes, PeterL, that is correct. I got a message reading exactly "Oil Service due in 352 miles" (note, not just service but "oil service") and I ignored it, thinking that it was incorrectly set service interval (the manual did not suggest anything about the "variable" service interval). Which led to the deteriorated oil causing my EMS light to light up and the car to go into limp mode. With all these comments/complaints given to the garage, they still could not figure out what the problem was, blamed the blocked DPF on my driving, and were clueless as to how to make the EMS light go off and my car to go back into normal mode. Which was eventually done by "Nissan retracing the whole car software to fix the issue". I am still not sure what the problem was, as the garage colour all their communications in "customer friendly" speak, so had to build the picture from what I read on forums, and what I was told separately by Nissan Customer service. So yeah, if you get the Oil Service due in xxx miles message, PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE IT AND HAVE IT CHANGED as it is the OCS telling you that the oil needs changing due to it having gone through enough DPF regens. [/QUOTE]
There is some issue there apart from the obvious. There is no way on earth that the engine would have gone through enough regen cycles with your milage unless there was a specific fault, possibly with a faulty injector, creating excessive sooty exhaust. Normally I would not expect an oil service to be necessary much within the first 15,000 miles or one year, even under unfavourable driving conditions. Obviously the 'one year' over-rides the mileage if annual milage is low and that will be reflected in the dash readout.
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Quacker, you lost me there! I do hope that the oil service will not be required every 6k miles or so but no other fault was reported by the "software", so the garage says that nothing else is wrong. I am sick of repeating (here and at the garage) that my driving is pretty average, I am a company car driver so I would not be given a car to use just for school and shopping runs, would I? Yet, I am starting to believe that QQ and I are not compatible, after the tyre shop also asked me "what sort of driving do you do" when I went to change my front tyres at 9.5k. So I do hope you are right and there is something else wrong with the car, though it is starting to be a bit too much even for a patient person such as me!
Lucia P

Post by Lucia P »

[quote="ivelina"]Hi Lucia, What problems did you have with the DPF? From my experience, and from what was confirmed directly by Nissan Customer Service, the DPF fitted on our engines should not require any revving up - the software on the cars initiates a cleaning cycle whenever required (regardless of driving style), and the only extra care that may be required is changing the oil (as it deteriorates faster when overheated frequently) - which is why the oil service interval is changed proactively by the car. My problems with the DPF were in that the dealer had no idea of the above, and blamed my driving for having a clogged up DPF, rather than realise that the software had a glitch that was not doing its job and did not clean it up when required. And finally, to keep my saga up-to-date, my "start/stop system fault" re-appeared over the weekend, after the errors were cleared by the garage last week. It sounds like it is another area where the dealer has not got a clue and are waiting on the diagnostic software to tell them what to do.I am not as disappointed with the car as I am with the dealer for not having the required training/expertise to fix issues. Mine was one of the first new QQs made, so I expected a bit of trouble but to have it all blamed on my driving, or that I am imagining things, and to be made to feel like an annoyance every time I ring them is really, really poor![/QUOTE]
hello, they told me that due to short journey I make daily (around 6 km to work and 6 km back home), the computer could not start the regeneration . They suggested that I have to take the car on the highway periodically in order to start the regeneration. First sign for me was the message to change the oil app after 8000 km. I called and asked about this and the service assured me that this must be a mistake and that probably somebody programed this by mistake. Second sign (in about 3 weeks after the first sign) was the start/stop system fault, which disappeared after I restarted the car, and finally the malfunction indicator light (orange), after other 3 weeks. I took the car to service and the oil was changed and the regeneration was performed. Not a problem since then, beginning of December and 2000 km plus (some on the highway!).
1.6 DCI 4×4 Tekna
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Hi Lucia P, Wow, that is spooky! I could have written your post myself - exactly what happened to me, the only difference being that the garage could not reset the orange light after the regen/oil change, so the car went back and stayed with them for a week while Nissan were patching up the software. But because my driving is quite a bit more on the motorway, they ended up saying that the whole thing had nothing to do with my driving style, and that, together with the customer services-provided information about the OCS software, left me clueless as to what really happened! I am only hoping it won't happen again!When they initially told me to rev up, I started driving a bit more forcefully, but because there is no indication of how the DPF is doing, I did not know whether I was revving enough, and I ended up driving like an idiot - hardly putting into 6th gear even on the motorway. That can't be how a modern car should be driven, can it? So I asked why they removed the DPF warning light (which I know is present on older models) - which is how they ended up providing the document saying that, actually, the engines on the new QQ do not require revving up as the DPF regen cycle is fully automatic and that is why there is no need of a warning light. May I ask, where you are, did you get charged for the DPF regen/oil change? As if it is genuinely required, I was told that it is not covered by warranty!
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

Apart from the odd hiccup this has proven (IMHO) to have been an important thread and is worth preserving somewhere? I suspect many of us will be confronted by a garage at some point in the future that 'we' have caused a fault with the Regen System because of the way we use the car (short journey's and the like) plainly not true and yet without ready access to the information on here hard to dispute I think?
Lucia P

Post by Lucia P »

[quote="ivelina"] Hi Lucia P,
May I ask, where you are, did you get charged for the DPF regen/oil change? As if it is genuinely required, I was told that it is not covered by warranty![/QUOTE]

Hi,
I'm from Bucharest, Romania. I paid only for oil change app 150 Euro, not for regeneration.
1.6 DCI 4×4 Tekna
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Lucia P, I think you were lucky not to be charged for the regen - here in the UK, the dealer (Pentagon) told me that warranty does not cover regeneration, so I had to pay for it all (regen plus oil change). It was only when I made a fuss directly with Nissan Customer Service that they agreed to refund the whole lot. PeterL, that is why I keep going on about this - hopefully, if/when this happens to someone else, they will come upon my posts and make sure that they don't get charged by the garage to "fix" the DPF issue, as it would cost nearly £200 for something that Nissan should have sorted under warranty!