Driver Attention Alert

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
duncho

Post by duncho »

Nissan marketing material says: "No risk of nodding off or losing focus: the system judges your concentration levels and fatigue state according to your driving input and warns you if you need a break with an audible and visible signal." My real life experience is that the only thing it does is displaying a cup of coffee with a message instructing driver to take a brake after preset timer elapse. What a nice marketing lie again! I almost fell a sleep behind the steering wheel on highway during driving from an airport after long haul flight from Japan. And how it really works? I will be most likely resting in peace if the car starts drifting at 130km/h.FUNCTION DESCRIPTION:Operates when the vehicle speed is 60 km/h (37 MPH) or higher.Detects the steering status and judges the attentiveness of the driver. The driver's attentiveness is shown on the vehicle information display in eight stages (level indicator).When it is judged from the degree of minor swerving in the steering operation that the vehicle is drifting, the driver is prompted to exert caution by the drift warning, which displays on the combination meter, and by a buzzer sound.When the engine is stopped, the system is reset.When the level indicator on the drift warning display becomes 1, the system warns the driver with a buzzer sound.OPERATION DESCRIPTION:The DAA (Driver Attention Alert) is controlled by the Around View Monitor control unit.ON/OFF of the Driver Attention Alert is performed by using the combination meter.The steering angle sensor detects the degree of swerving in the steering operation.When the Around View Monitor control unit judges that the steering operation is drifting (when the level indicator in the drift warning display becomes 1), the following control is performed and the driver is warned.Transmits the buzzer output signal to the combination meter and sounds the buzzer.OPERATION CONDITION:Driver Attention Alert: ONVehicle speed approximately 60 km/h (37 MPH) or moreNOTE:Drift warning can be set to ON/OFF using the combination meter.When the engine is stopped, the system is reset.
duncho2015-03-06 16:25:10
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Qash

Post by Qash »

I got driver alert message 2 times on a one day on Monday, only after 30 minutes of driving. I don't think I was that tired
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
duncho

Post by duncho »

Qash, check in the settings, maybe you have set give you the alert in short time. This timer works for me as well, but nothing else.

Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

This "feature" is a nonsense. Another one to add to the list things that don't work as advertised or expected.
There has been a few times i think i should have had a warning from the system but nothing. Whenever i have had the warning it has always been at times where all has been well and i had no intention or need to stop. I once had a warning in a contraflow where there were very narrow lanes for a good few miles. In these situations i find myself very concious (and wide awak) of where i am between barriers or other vehicles and there are many very minor corrections. Maybe this is a trigger.... Albeit false.
5 1/2hr trip each way this weekend to Yarmouth. No warning.
These extras are not free - they should work better.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Couldn't agree more.....unless someone can tell us how thus system actually works.... Anyone out there really know the answer?
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

I can make my driver alert go off within a few miles if I want to (cross white line, sudden short sharp movements on the steering etc)I ignore the feature, I know when I'm tired, I don't need my car to tell me.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

After reading duncho's explannation of this system I just tried to follow up with a few findings on this subject, I tried to find a write up on the workings of this system but had no luck, but for those that do not have it here are some comments - Sorry about the pic quality - Dave

If you take a look on the "Nissan Qashqai Drivers Guide App" you will find the following stated :

DRIVER ATTENTION ALERT

The Driver Attention Alert system learns your driving style during the first 20 minutes of your journey. After this, the system monitors your steering behavior and alerts you if it detects a reduced level of attention. The Driver Attention Alert system can be activated or deactivated through the (Settings) menu.
Normal level of attention
Reduced level of attention
Dangerous level of attention
I found this comment with regard to the MB System : Mercedes' Attention Assist system technology alerts drivers when they are driving and helps to avoid one of the most dangerous driving behaviors: Driving drowsy !. Once the system "knows" how you drive by collecting data in the on-board computer, it can tell when you've started behaving a little erratically. If you are driving between 50 mph and 112 mph, it can notify you when you've begun behaving like you're tired.

Saab has a driver attention warning system, which uses cameras to detect eye, eyelid and head movement. Other automakers offer lane departure warning systems that alert drivers when they are swerving out of their lanes.
And there is a device drivers can mount on their dash to let them know when they are getting sleepy. Danish company ASP makes the Anti-Sleep Pilot, which uses a questionnaire to determine your risk profile, then monitors your driving using sensors measuring 26 different factors. It also requires drivers to tap the top of the sensor every 10 or 15 minutes, and judges your reaction time. If you don't react quickly enough, it turns red, alerting you it's time for a break.
Bottom Line is: Drivers are often too busy or short-sighted to stop driving when they are drowsy. But, given the huge numbers of people killed or hurt every year from sleepiness behind the wheel, technology that prompts us to get off the road seems like a good idea.
Of course at the end of the Day it is up to the Driver whether he feels the system is needed or not or even annoying a€“ Option is then "Turn it Off"
For those who have not got this system on their QQ's as I believe it is part of the "Safety Shield" Package or option on the Tekna there are some other options or Apps available if required for example :
There is a device drivers can mount on their dash to let them know when they are getting sleepy. Danish company ASP makes the Anti-Sleep Pilot, which uses a questionnaire to determine your risk profile, then monitors your driving using sensors measuring 26 different factors. It also requires drivers to tap the top of the sensor every 10 or 15 minutes, and judges your reaction time. If you don't react quickly enough, it turns red, alerting you it's time for a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-PU0DEDFI
http://www.iphoneappsreviewonline.com/n ... pp-review/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Great write up Dave and perhaps it will help people understand how it works, but to most it seems simple enough. Finally, as you say, if you can't get on with it, a simple solution, like most of the safety features on the QQ is to turn it off
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
duncho

Post by duncho »

Hi Dave,thank you for details. One question though, have you taken these photos on display of your car? Because I don't get any colorful bars as shown on your photos. Basically I have achieved two states of the message, only. Full bars or coffee cup with the message saying to take a brake. Nothing like concentration shown and both in white.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi duncho, I took the pics off my ipad using the iphone, so could this be another Nissan difference ?. As I mentioned the pics were from the Nissan QQ App Drivers Guide - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken