less peppy at lower speeds?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
jsajeba

Post by jsajeba »

in the site http://carwitter.com/2014/01/10/2014-ni ... eview/they say that "We also tested the 1.5 dCi diesel, it has 5 less horses than the 1.2
petrol but 260 Nm of torque. This helps with the motorway in gear
acceleration, but was less peppy at lower speeds. It also felt slightly
heavier up front. Emissions are lower than the 1.2 though, at a class
leading 99 g/km.""what do they mean that the qashqai is less peppy at lower speeds...please can someone explain through your experience with the new car?Thanks

korky

Post by korky »

Can't describe what they describe as peppy, but having driven both, personally found the 1.2 very smooth and had the right amount of power with city driving but it needed hard work at higher motorway speeds where it just seemed to lack the power.

On the 1.5d it's heavier and loses some of the advantages of the 1.2 but in gear acceleration and motorway was more comfortable in this.

People may disagree with the above so it really is my individual thoughts...drive both and see which you prefer
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I think it depends what kind of driver you are as well.If you're wanting to pull away from the lights quickly I'm seriously doubting any of the current engines is going to light up your tyres and catapult you forward like the warp drive on the USS Enterprise :-)But if you are going to drive a, less face it, "sensible car" sensibly, then I'm sure all of the current engines will do a more than adequate job.If you have doubts the advice to drive as many variants as possible is a good one. From the reviews I've scoured through I'm happy that the 1.5DCi is the one to go for. It gives a good combination of fuel economy and power...My understanding being it's better "overall" than the 1.2 petrol and although the 1.6 is more powerful it is more fuel heavy and not as smooth as the 1.5.I'd also add that I was strongly recommended to go for the 1.6 is choosing the CVT gearbox. I stuck with the manual, hence the 1.5.I think there is a 2.0 diesel due in the summer isn't there?
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
korky

Post by korky »

There's definitely a turbo charged petrol coming in the summer - possibly a nismo variant?
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

[quote="kramrolyat70"]I think it depends what kind of driver you are as well.If you're wanting to pull away from the lights quickly I'm seriously doubting any of the current engines is going to light up your tyres and catapult you forward like the warp drive on the USS Enterprise :-)But if you are going to drive a, less face it, "sensible car" sensibly, then I'm sure all of the current engines will do a more than adequate job.If you have doubts the advice to drive as many variants as possible is a good one. From the reviews I've scoured through I'm happy that the 1.5DCi is the one to go for. It gives a good combination of fuel economy and power...My understanding being it's better "overall" than the 1.2 petrol and although the 1.6 is more powerful it is more fuel heavy and not as smooth as the 1.5.I'd also add that I was strongly recommended to go for the 1.6 is choosing the CVT gearbox. I stuck with the manual, hence the 1.5.I think there is a 2.0 diesel due in the summer isn't there?[/QUOTE]
What you need to remember is, if your driving is mainly town and suburbs and lots of short journeys the diesels having a DPF Filter are not a good idea. I was looking at the 1.5 diesel but was advised because I only do approx. 9k miles per year mainly on short runs then a petrol is recommended.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

Interesting. I tend to do a mix of runs..mainly short but relatively regular longer runs.My Merc diesel that has just gone back only did 5k miles in the last year...and a total of 16k in two years...never had an issue with that.Not sure if they'd be different or not.
korky

Post by korky »

DPFs have become more popular in a lot of diesel cars over the last 3 years to help reduce emissions. It could even be standard legal fitting now no idea.

If you do lots of short journeys then you will need to try and take the QQ for a blast down the motorway probably once a month or so? This should help clear the DPF.

What I am not sure of is if the DPF gets clogged up will under warranty it be replaced?
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

Good question on the Warranty side of things.To add some info my Merc was a 62 plate so literally 2 years old last week so probably had the same filter.To be fair as with the QQ it was leased so they either fix it or don't lol.
jsajeba

Post by jsajeba »

thanks for all the repliesUnfortunately here in Malta to test the 1.5 diesel and the 1.2 petrol it will take me a long time and then more time to wait for the order to arrive so i am trying to settle this through reviews. Malta has no high ways and it is a whole big city...do not kwon if somebody heard about it.Currently I own a Subaru Vivio so I think I will see a big difference between my car and the new qashqai so I think i will be safe to go for the 1.5 dci diesel.For me i do not need a sports car to be fast on the traffic light but for sure i do not want to press on the gas paddle and the car does not move, kind of as if one is starting to drive on the 3rd gear instead of the 1st gear.also apart from the 1.5 diesel consumes less i am afraid that the 1.2 turbo petrol engine will need a good maintenance after a few years being used with such a big car.
jsajeba2014-02-12 15:33:28
kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I think it's really difficult to say unless you have driven them. The problem I've found is once you've read, watched, or listened to enough reviews you can seem to find different view points on everything...they are after all just opinions.I found a couple of reviews from people I trusted as car reviewers on-line and went with that as my guide.If you can't drive them I'm not sure what else you could do.Good luck.