Wind whistling sound is it normal ?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Kashkai

Post by Kashkai »

Picked up our new QQ yesterday and we did our first trip in it today from Somerset to Ambleside in the lake district and we've noticed like a wind whistling noise from 50mph and above and at first I thought it could be the roof rails or large mirrors but then we realised the sound was only coming from the passenger side and had it been the rails or mirrors then I would gave expected to hear it both sides, it almost sounds like a window is slightly open, is this a normal QQ sound or do I need to get the garage to take a look?
1.5DCi N Tec+ Metallic Bronze delivered 23/04/15 as expected

Qash

Post by Qash »

I dont know is it normal but i have same noise on my QQ and i dont like it. Nissan say that is normal.
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Some have said they can hear lots of noise from the wind off the mirrors, personally I cant hear a thing! I know my hearing isnt the greatest but even my 14 year old daughter cant hear any wind noise at all, and she can hear almost anything!
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

No whistle on mine. Just a slight wind noise and road noise on some surfaces. My hearing is fine and my wife's is uncannily good when it suits her.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Whistle noise was coming from under the mirrors. Qash have you had campaign done on yours? There was Nissan fix to address the issue. I doubt the same thing is present on new cars, but if so, it should be inspected by dealer and fixed. I posted last year the whole procedure, which I can't find here due to poor search capabilities of the forum. Maybe someone has the link...
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Kashkai

Post by Kashkai »

[quote="duncho"] Whistle noise was coming from under the mirrors. Qash have you had campaign done on yours? There was Nissan fix to address the issue. I doubt the same thing is present on new cars, but if so, it should be inspected by dealer and fixed. I posted last year the whole procedure, which I can't find here due to poor search capabilities of the forum. Maybe someone has the link...A [/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean by "campaign done", the car is brand new, delivered to the dealers 1 week ago and we've had it for 3 days. When the rain stops today I will have a look to make sure there's nothing loose or obvious missing trim.
1.5DCi N Tec+ Metallic Bronze delivered 23/04/15 as expected
Qash

Post by Qash »

Dealer fix mirrors but i didnt hear any improvment in windnoise, same as before in my case.
QQ BUSINESS+ (Tekna 17")1,5 dci
duncho

Post by duncho »

Kashkai,our cars were also new and we had this annoyance from day one. Ask your dealer to check the seals under the mirror body and refer to technical bulletin TB BT 14/03 from June 23, 2014. Qash,it's hard to argue with you, I only can say on behalf of me, that whistling noise has 100% gone when I fixed the mirror gaps myself. Details I posted together with photo documentation what needs to be done and how. I don't want to say that your dealer did not do it properly, but on the other hand, car as well as mirrors are the same on both our cars. My car was produced in April 2014.I found the article, please have a look: http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/is-any-o ... 14386.html

duncho2015-04-25 11:00:53
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Atif

Post by Atif »

Today I followed that procedure in duncho's post and tomorrow will see if that cures the whistling problem.
Qashqai 1.6 CVT 2014
jet

Post by jet »

The bulletin you refer to says "Claims to be on a customer complaint basis only", that is probably why the issue was not addressed during PDI. I doubt any dealer would test drive a vehicle before handover in order to test wind noise I had that annoying noise since day one and it was so intrusive, I could not even hear the radio! I had the campaign done a few weeks later. Certainly, there is an improvement, but there is still some noise coming from the mirrors, especially in windy conditions (side winds mainly), even though not so embarrassing and whistling. I assume some noise can be expected from such large mirrors anyway?
jet2015-04-26 18:56:31
1.5 dCi MT Premium