Bike racks

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Thanks for all your comments but what I was really after was some feedback on the experience of using a Tow Bar Carrier with 2x e-Bikes.
Gel, our favorite shop good old Lidl has got a load of gear "On Line" this week under http://www.lidl.de/de/search
As it is in German if you are interested just enter "Fahrradtraeger" in the search area (attachment is just an example). It is in another language but it will give you an idea of what is available. Incidentally there was Test done recently out here and one of the Bikes that failed, broken frames, parts etc was from Aldi. So it looks like it pays to invest a little more especially regarding Safety issues - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

I've not used a towball carrier with e-bikes, but have with four MTB's (total weight of ~55kg) which falls below the permitted 75kg nose-weight and everything was fine and stable. The carrier I use is a MaxxRaxx hang-on rather than the more convenient (and expensive) rail versions. I also use a couple of webbing straps up to the roof-bars to prevent sideways movement.

The only thing I'd watch out for is that the towball carriers seem to be specified for ~15kg bikes, so a two-bike carrier is ok for 30kg but a five bike carrier is rated for 75kg. Considering this, I'd go for a four bike carrier and then mount just the two e-bikes onto it.

Another consideration is the type of towball you have (or plan to have). The swan-neck bar is more readily available (Nissan's own for instance is a bargain at £375) but does restrict the tow-ball carriers which are compatible. The flange style bar's are compatible with all carriers, but were much more expensive (around £500).
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

Yes - it works fine....
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Thanks for your quick replies all points have been noted - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Craig_Broadbent

Post by Craig_Broadbent »

Newly available for Qashqai (2014 onwards)
www.auxtail.com
No towbar required
No frame touch and easy to use.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/74t69FR7n-g[/youtube]
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Craig, thanks for that Post the QQ on your video looks very similiar to the one used on the website from Auxtail :lol:
I could not open the website you posted on my iPad by hitting the post so I re-searched it and the method of attachment is new to me, but interesting and does away with the need for the Tow Bar Fitting. It looks very much like a DIY installation I mean by a person with Hands On Skills. It appears all the Testing has been done and the favorite word out here "TÜV" has been mentioned, I am assuming this is the German TÜV as for Germany this is a "Must". 100kgs weight was mentioned during testing, do you know if a couple of E-Bikes have been tested at all. Sorry for all the questions just interested - Dave :)
Craig_Broadbent

Post by Craig_Broadbent »

HI Dave,

We tested at Millbrook with 2 x 25Kg just this week.
The TUV approval is a must in Germany as you say, and we have followed their guidelies regarding testing, although we haven't paid them to approve, as we are not marketing their yet.
We do not offer installation at the moment, but there is a video explaining to those with a few basic tools of how to do.
The removal of a rear bumper video may be useful for many Qashqai owners who like to service repair cosmetic issues themselves.
I take note that the links don't work and appreciate your feedback.
I hope to contribute to forum to aid other owners as an ex-Nissan employee I have designed and fitted quite a few bits.
Regards
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Craig, thanks for your reply. As you mentioned you are really buggered here without the TÜV Approval so at present that is a No Go. Next week is our QQ's Major 3 Service + TÜV (MOT) and it will be interesting to see if any negative comments come from the TÜV regarding our additions. I will inform our Dealer on your setup - Dave :)
PS: I think you should think about the TÜV here as this is getting even more to be the Land of the Bikes with the Emissions problem and the initial outlay to transport Bikes can be expensive.