Bike racks

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Gillyd88

Post by Gillyd88 »

Hello all

I was wondering what bike racks people are using with their qashqai's.

I normally stick my bike in the boot however I'm going on holiday with a mate and they are bringing their bike as well so there is not enough room for both along with our luggage. This means I'm going to have to purchase a bike rack.

I was looking at the roof bars as I have a tekna however it seems to be double the price of the rear mounted ones so I think I shall stick with the latter.

So any recommendations on which one to purchase or good and bad points on ones you have or have tried?

Cheers

Dan

Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

I'm a little OCD about my cars and couldn't use a rear mounted carrier as it can mark the paint. I had a tow bar fitted to our Qashqai for the sole purpose of mounting a bike rack to it. We've got a three cycle Thule carrier at the moment but have just bought a four cycle rack as I can't fit my daughters bike in the boot anymore (the Qashqai is a fair bit smaller than our previous Pathfinder). It's an expensive initial outlay but as long as you ensure the bike rack has a tilt function (to allow access to the boot when fitted) there are no real negatives to them. You're not height restricted with this arrangement, unlike the roof mounted options.
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

I was travelling behind a car with rear mounted bikes for a short distance last week. The rear lights were blocked and I could not see either brake or turn lights. Is there a legal requirement for such a bike carrier ?
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

Yes, you need to have your lights and number plate clearly visable. If they are obscured then a lighting board with a number plate should be fitted.
sporttourer

Post by sporttourer »

As far as I am aware there is not a suitable rear mounted rack available from any manufacturer for the Qashqai.
The only options are roof mounted or tow bar mounted.

As already said - tow bar racks are an expensive initial outlay but are the best option & you would get a good return on selling it at a later date as well.

Roof mounted racks are harder to use ( especially on taller cars like the Qashqai) and are less aerodynamic.
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

I ended up going for the roof rack monted bike racks, however, If your under 6ft tall, then you'll probably need something to stand on. It's OK if you are putting a road bike on the rook, but a heavy mountain bike is not easy.It was the cost of getting a towbar fitted and the new cycle carrier that made me opt for the roof rack, I aready had the bike holders from my previous car.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gillyd88, I do not know if this will help you but I have just found this in a German Mag from Atera does 4 Bikes & shows lights. The web info' is a Goggle Translation which sometimes is not the best.
I believe that Nissan do supply but only for 3 Bikes. I hope this is of some help Dave

http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... rev=search
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

That looks like a towbar mounted one.
rm0rgan

Post by rm0rgan »

I have one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/saris-bones-3-bike-rack/I used to use it on my Scirocco as it could be made to fit almost any car. That said, I've not yet fitted it to my QQ but will give it a go and post up the results - if you put a sock over the strap grips it will add a little more protection to the paint which is wafer thin on the QQ
El Brillante

Post by El Brillante »

Did you get the Saris Bones 3 to work on your car?