Noise from under car when braking

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Nissan UK asked my dealer to look at my car again and they did a technical report to Nissan. After this visit to the dealer the noise stopped....I know exactly what they've done and that's grease all the pads again. Had this done before and it solves the problem temporarily. The dealer even admitted finding the fault on other QQ's since I brought the problem up. I've closed my case with Nissan Uk for now but will raise it again if the problem comes back which it will. I don't take the line 'its normal' especially when I've payed alot of money for the car. I've had 20 plus cars and none have ever made this noise while braking.

ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Surely, agree with you.
Could you pls help me with how you are getting Nissan & the dealer to collaborate on your particular case? I just want to be sure I am doing things correctly.
At least we know there is a solution even if only temporary.

Summerjunk wrote:Nissan UK asked my dealer to look at my car again and they did a technical report to Nissan. After this visit to the dealer the noise stopped....I know exactly what they've done and that's grease all the pads again. Had this done before and it solves the problem temporarily. The dealer even admitted finding the fault on other QQ's since I brought the problem up. I've closed my case with Nissan Uk for now but will raise it again if the problem comes back which it will. I don't take the line 'its normal' especially when I've payed alot of money for the car. I've had 20 plus cars and none have ever made this noise while braking.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

I emailed Nissan UK and after a few days I was allocated someone to take the case on. I then just communicated with them directly.
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Anyone get a final fix for this? Nissan Technical are happy saying this is a 'characteristic' and not a fault!
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Was reading the user manual (soft-copy) posted on the forum (can be found using the Search) and looks like the clunk sound is characteristic.

From the manual,

"SELF-TEST FEATURE
The ABS includes electronic sensors, electric
pumps, hydraulic solenoids and a computer. The
computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests
the system each time you start the engine and move
the vehicle at a low speed in forward or reverse.
When the self-test occurs, you may hear a “clunk”
noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This
is normal and does not indicate a malfunction. If the
computer senses a malfunction, it switches the ABS
off and illuminates the ABS warning light on the
instrument panel. The brake system then operates
normally, but without anti-lock assistance.
"

Section - Starting and driving. Page 5-59
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I've driven my QQ over 10k miles now & never felt this.
ThreeSixty wrote:Was reading the user manual (soft-copy) posted on the forum (can be found using the Search) and looks like the clunk sound is characteristic.

From the manual,

"SELF-TEST FEATURE
The ABS includes electronic sensors, electric
pumps, hydraulic solenoids and a computer. The
computer has a built-in diagnostic feature that tests
the system each time you start the engine and move
the vehicle at a low speed in forward or reverse.
When the self-test occurs, you may hear a “clunk”
noise and/or feel a pulsation in the brake pedal. This
is normal and does not indicate a malfunction. If the
computer senses a malfunction, it switches the ABS
off and illuminates the ABS warning light on the
instrument panel. The brake system then operates
normally, but without anti-lock assistance.
"

Section - Starting and driving. Page 5-59
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

It's definitely pad related as when they greased them the cracking sound went away, they've admitted in the past the pads are moving slightly in the caliper but aren't willing to replace them. I've given up getting it sorted and just learning to live with it until I decide on a new car.
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

Keeping with the comment above, i had learnt to live with it as well. Although I did mention it at my last service. They say they've fixed it. The sound has stopped when I initially move the vehicle. But it occurs every time I brake at slow speeds for eg. in stop&go traffic or at when I need to only gently dab the brakes. The noise also comes up when I go over cracks and irregular bumps on the road, its like two loosely attached metal plates striking against each other.

Wonder if this a new operating characteristic? :!:

I've just had enough of taking it in for the same issue having it resurface again after a few days. :x
rock786
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by rock786 »

Hi All,

Did anybody managed to get this problem solved.

Did anybody got rid of this noise permanently?

thanks in advance !
Joshs03
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Joshs03 »

Need help, had rear brake pads fitted (been told no problems with them) O/S suspension arm fitted (been told no problem with that) and ever since I reverse backwards and brake and then forward and brake and then the clonk noise appears, anyone heard of this before?