DRL dimming - Qashqai's indicators visibility

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

Duncho - Sorry to hear about you car..
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver

duncho

Post by duncho »

Thank you Jstallan, the car is at a dealer now, I just hope they will fix it nicely. I was really fed up when I found my car damaged in that morning...

Anyway, today I installed DRL module in MODE 2 (the module supports two modes):
DRL OFF - https://youtu.be/2Oi5kLBKU1o
DRL DIM - https://youtu.be/OcEu36sZUpQ

Unfortunately video with dimmed DRL is not as perfect as in real. Difference between DIMMED and FULL DRL luminance is much bigger in reality.
Which one do you prefer more?
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Dan - is the mode selectable by user or is it chosen at build and then heat-shrunk?
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
duncho

Post by duncho »

Nick, it is selectable by user. The module is designed to support both modes by default.

RVW

Post by RVW »

Dan is your email address working ? I sent you a question in reply to your group email and as yet not had a reply.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
duncho

Post by duncho »

RVW wrote:Dan is your email address working ? I sent you a question in reply to your group email and as yet not had a reply.
Ray, yes it is. I received your email 3 times and reply twice the same :) It seems you haven't received my reply. Please check your SPAM folder.
Please let me know.

PS
I can ship it later to ensure you get it in required date.

RVW

Post by RVW »

duncho wrote:
RVW wrote:Dan is your email address working ? I sent you a question in reply to your group email and as yet not had a reply.
Ray, yes it is. I received your email 3 times and reply twice the same :) It seems you haven't received my reply. Please check your SPAM folder.
Please let me know.

PS
I can ship it later to ensure you get it in required date.
Gremlins must be at work? Checked all my boxes and nothing.
Will send payment for DRL's via PayPal that should give you my address. Will also send you my address just in case.
Can you ship after the 9th August
Thanks
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
Hound

Post by Hound »

duncho wrote:Nick, it is selectable by user. The module is designed to support both modes by default.
Thanks Dan!

I'm quite surprised that there haven't been more complaints to Nissan about this issue. Their likely defense is the repeaters in the mirrors, which are pretty feeble during the day so they don't help much. Out of interest, I have looked at their construction but they are glued/sonic-welded together; without some potentially destructive disassembly, I can't see how to add an SMD strip behind the refractive tube. Nothing stopping anybody sticking one on the mirror casing itself I suppose.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

(Photos "borrowed" from eBay)
duncho

Post by duncho »

Nick, it's a shame that they are sealed. I thought of replacing LED with one with higher power output. I think LED strip wouldn't help much as the clear plastic part is basically a light guide.

Hound

Post by Hound »

Yes, apparently not even the LED is accessible without cutting into plastic and Nissan suggests replacing the entire assembly if the LED dies.

The clear part refracts the light from the LED along its length and it works fine at night, but on a bright day I think it's barely visible. I considered that an SMD strip or electroluminescent strip behind it (which switches off with the headlights) might have enhanced the visibility, even though the plastic isn't a proper lens or reflector.

If the car was mine and not a Motability lease car, I would probably remove the repeater, drill a line of holes behind it and fit straw hat LEDs all along! :)