Outdated Sat Nav Mapping

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Looking at the traffic works there are olots of new or changed roads.
Not sure if 30% is realistic but the current nav seems to miss lots of them.
Especially roundabouts , a hype on the mainland europe, are missing. Of course you'r brain always kicks in when needed. But nav systems are there to support you and not to annoy you.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna

Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

My last three cars have had built in satnav. All have been kept at least three years. None have ever been updated. Never had an issue navigating round UK. Occasional new roundabout or road, no major diversions or emissive mileage
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

robertdownie1944 wrote:What's the point of buying a car with a sat nav and because the sd card isn't up to date you stick a phone on the window. Defeats the purpose. Sorry.
That's life. Ideally the next generation of car will be fully connected and utilise real-time maps from someone like Google, Apple or Microsoft which will update itself automatically and instantly. But we are not quite there yet with the cars. But your phone and tablet is there.

So you could look at your statement another way and ask 'What is the point of buying a car with sat-nav when I already have a better system on my five inch phone or ten inch tablet already, and it is always up to date?'
All you really need is a holder and it will look just like the latest factory BMW Mercedes and Audi cars with what-looks-like a tablet sticking up at the top of the dash.
BWA

Post by BWA »

Quacker wrote:
robertdownie1944 wrote:What's the point of buying a car with a sat nav and because the sd card isn't up to date you stick a phone on the window. Defeats the purpose. Sorry.
That's life. Ideally the next generation of car will be fully connected and utilise real-time maps from someone like Google, Apple or Microsoft which will update itself automatically and instantly. But we are not quite there yet with the cars. But your phone and tablet is there.

So you could look at your statement another way and ask 'What is the point of buying a car with sat-nav when I already have a better system on my five inch phone or ten inch tablet already, and it is always up to date?'
All you really need is a holder and it will look just like the latest factory BMW Mercedes and Audi cars with what-looks-like a tablet sticking up at the top of the dash.
Adding nothing to the debate other than that's a good and valid point. Aesthetically though those mercs, audis and bmw's that have that tablet look are horrid to look at. It put me off looking at them anyway
65 plate Tekna 1.5 DCI with panoramic roof, magnetic red, space saver spare wheel kit
Pjonah

Post by Pjonah »

I have to admit to not relying so heavily on the sat nav, I haven't found any problems with Nissan's system yet, it's pretty good actually. The Honda Accord sat nav I had previously was dire in comparison, it was basic and way out of date. I liked the send to car feature when it worked but alas Google don't look to give a fig about Audi or Nissan that had this feature.

Thus far in nine months of ownership the Nissan system and maps have been bang up to date.
QQ1.5dCi Tekna Thermonuclear Panoramic intercontinental Ballistic Missile Chrome Mirrors
aqualung

Post by aqualung »

Earlier in the year I spent a week in Pembrokeshire. I don't know what Nissan has got against the Welsh, but many of the place names were missing off the satnav search (I.e Pendine Sands and village), I overcame this inconvenience by using Nissan Connect/Google to navigate. All the places missing on the satnav could be found by using this system.

My car is a 2014 limited edition Tekna Premier, It's been a shocker, the worst car for faults I have owned in 50years of motoring, so bad that Nissan gave me an extra years warranty by way of compensation. It's going in tomorrow for a fault on a seatbelt warning light to be rectified.
dyawlak

Post by dyawlak »

Pjonah wrote:I have to admit to not relying so heavily on the sat nav, I haven't found any problems with Nissan's system yet, it's pretty good actually. The Honda Accord sat nav I had previously was dire in comparison, it was basic and way out of date. I liked the send to car feature when it worked but alas Google don't look to give a fig about Audi or Nissan that had this feature.

Thus far in nine months of ownership the Nissan system and maps have been bang up to date.
Send to car works - you just need a Google email account less than 7months (from Sept 2015) old. I created a brand new account just for QQ and works perfect.
big_boz

Post by big_boz »

johnbull wrote:for bigboz,
From Nissan Map update site , going by this we have at least 30% outdated maps

Why update your car's navigation system?

Did you know that:
15% of the road network is updated every year. New street names, sign posts, roundabouts and more are modified or added to the map database.
Thousands of Points of Interest are added or modified: petrol stations, restaurants, hotels, ATMs, and many more…

Get the freshest map to make sure your vehicle and navigation system perform at their best and enjoy multiple benefits:

Save time

An updated map enables you to:
Calculate a route that takes into account latest road network changes. Forget route recalculations and dead ends!
Always choose the best – fastest or shortest- route to your destination
Better estimate your time of arrival

Reduce your carbon footprint

Lower fuel consumption results in lower CO2 emissions

Gain comfort, smart and safe driving experience

Routes planned in advance mean stress and hassle free journeys

Save Fuel… And Money

A fresh map is must have to optimize your road trip. Drive less kilometers and reduce your fuel consumption.
I trust this illuminates the problem
I am sorry but really....get a life.

Sat nav goes out of date.....other posters raining praise on Tom Tom's......err no you are wrong. I had a 2008 Toyota with built in tom tom nav...my mum still has the car as I gave it to her. She asked me to update the maps, no issue I thought worth paying the update fee...but wait no I have to update every quarter since last update...that's ludicrous! Its the Gillette effect...should I update my maps or just buy a new unit.....you get the idea I am sure.

The "2/3 year old maps" WILL get you to your intended journey most of the time

If you are so reliant on the electronic screen telling you where to go and are incapable of finding your own way really you have a problem with you...not the car.

Sorry this is a bit ranty but really if something so trivial gets you're back up so much I suggest getting a hobby...perhaps the study of maps might be a good start. I drive 30k+ miles per year, I use the nav in my 2015 vw or the nav in the QQ, plus G maps on my phone, or road signs, or an actual map, or the internet or some combination of the above and I never get lost.

Ok so the nav in your car isn't the greatest form of navigation ever conceived...did you expect it would be? Are you also equally angered by the fact that you are not getting close to the claimed MPG figures, that is making a bigger difference to the amount of fuel you use, opposedto the maps that might add a couple of miles/minutes to your journey.

For goodness sakes!!

Rant over!
65 Plate Quashqi 1.5DCI Ntec+, 15 Plate Passat GT, 1972 Vw Beetle, 02 Plate Alfa 147
johnbull

Post by johnbull »

you seem to have missed the point, New car should equate to up to date mapping, are you telling me you have never been driving across fields according to your sat nav, If so you must be driving very locally, even locally I have new roads and housing estates not on the sat nav at all and they have been there for over three years. MPG is a given as they have never lived up to manufacturers figures . At least with tomtom they get you up to date when you initially buy the machine, even updating maps only takes minutes ,I update my speed cameras regularly that also takes minutes , just copy onto a USB drive and bobs your uncle. Glad to hear you are so perfect you never get lost though , I bet a different story if I asked your wife though .lol
Drive carefully, Live longer
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

I think Big-boz takes care for every journey. He buys new maps at least every year, updates his phone maps monthly , refreshes his map reading skills on a regular basis and takes of..
Easy ... who needs a integrated navigation system ....
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna