Outdated Sat Nav Mapping

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Don't know what makes you believe that.
Read the statements made by Nissan. Use the search function!
Alternatively you could use the existing map and your brain and retain £200 in your wallet. Your choice.
I choose an integrated navigation system with recent maps.

As said before, maps are a servicing part of the car. So new maps are normal and it's a bit strange you seem to find it normal to jump through al kinds of hoops to get the info your navigation should deliver.
Just like not replacing worn tires because you can choose to walk and save the money ;)
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

QQ013 wrote:
Don't know what makes you believe that.
Read the statements made by Nissan. Use the search function!
Alternatively you could use the existing map and your brain and retain £200 in your wallet. Your choice.
I choose an integrated navigation system with recent maps.

As said before, maps are a servicing part of the car. So new maps are normal and it's a bit strange you seem to find it normal to jump through al kinds of hoops to get the info your navigation should deliver.
Just like not replacing worn tires because you can choose to walk and save the money ;)
I choose the option of using the Nissan map and my brain. I gave several options and you jump to the wrong conclusion once more. I drove the Audi Q7 for six years and never once had the urge to waste money on a map update. The Garmin I had was used in the Land Cruiser until I bought a double-DIN Pioneer touchscreen head unit for it and I haven't updated the map on that either. Never got me lost yet.
The Nissan ConnectII map seems to be only a year's data behind the 2016 update for the Disco4 as far as I can see and very little indeed will have changed in that time and what has, such as the junction at the bottom of the M6, should be obvious and well signposted.
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Not sure for UK but the QQ is sold on the mainland to ;)
Whole of europe is on that map. And i drive a lot .
There are lots of missing motorways in France, the Netherlands, Germany, and more that i do not know of.(yet)
2 years of roadworks results in lots of changes. So the need for a new map is urgent.
Btw, it's not " getting lost", but arriving on the right destination on time ;)
That's why i invested in a navigation system. Alle my recent cars had one but none of them with outdated maps.
Opel: every year new ( btw: same supplier!!!)
Peugeot, navteq, every year new. Wifes car tomtom, 4 x year new maps ( if you want it, for free!)
My windows phone: here maps, at least 4 times a year mapupdates OTA. Same supplier as Nissan!
Maybe is am a bit spoiled by other car brands.. possible. But i like to get where i paid good money for. I am even willing to pay the excessive fee Nissan asks.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
Deleted User 1571

QQ013 wrote:Not sure for UK but the QQ is sold on the mainland to ;)
Whole of europe is on that map. And i drive a lot .
There are lots of missing motorways in France, the Netherlands, Germany, and more that i do not know of.(yet)
2 years of roadworks results in lots of changes. So the need for a new map is urgent.
Btw, it's not " getting lost", but arriving on the right destination on time ;)
That's why i invested in a navigation system. Alle my recent cars had one but none of them with outdated maps.
Opel: every year new ( btw: same supplier!!!)
Peugeot, navteq, every year new. Wifes car tomtom, 4 x year new maps ( if you want it, for free!)
My windows phone: here maps, at least 4 times a year mapupdates OTA. Same supplier as Nissan!
Maybe is am a bit spoiled by other car brands.. possible. But i like to get where i paid good money for. I am even willing to pay the excessive fee Nissan asks.
Since you give this a high priority and have to live with what is and not what should be, I suggest that you use the money you would have spent on a map update on the TomTom regardless. Or not. Your choice.
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

Not having the updates does not cause me a problem, but reading this thread I do not think that is the issue. What people are saying the technology for updating maps quickly and cheaply is available. Tom Tom being just one. Nissan together with other car manufacturers choose to mislead customers by supplying an expensive option which they then decide they will not update
I don't care who supplies their mapping system. If the buying power of the likes of Nissan and Toyota mean they cannot negotiate what is now standard technology then they should sack those dealing with this aspect of their design and employ people who can.
My previous cars Toyota had the same issues so I expected it and decided still to buy. This does. Not mean I think Nissan etc behaviour in this is any more acceptable
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade
Deleted User 1571

You will probably, almost certainly, find that the map will be updated, just as the Connect1 has been, even to Sept this year. What they don't do is update every few months to suit the more expectant among us. It will still cost £180 or so, which means that I will not be in the queue for it. Maybe the update after next? Maybe not.

I've just bought and fitted a couple of dash cams and one has gone in the Nissan. While that was my priority, others seem to want and be willing to pay for revised maps even though nothing substantial seems to change very often. Fair enough. If they can't wait they can purchase a TomTom and use the car's system for its other features. The TomTom need only be used and fitted when travelling long distances on unfamiliar roads that have recently been substantially revised, rare as they are. It has to be the TomTom live with Sim card and data plus free lifetime updates though, because it would be no good to these people with an out of date map. ;-)
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

You go to great length to repeat your story... again and again..
Trying to convince.. yourself?

Accept there are people who bought a navigation system and use it daily. Accept there are lots of changes ( according to Nissan 30% eacht year)
If you like the old fashoned way. Be my guest.
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
Deleted User 1571

QQ013 wrote:You go to great length to repeat your story... again and again..
Trying to convince.. yourself?

Accept there are people who bought a navigation system and use it daily. Accept there are lots of changes ( according to Nissan 30% eacht year)
If you like the old fashoned way. Be my guest.
You cannot seriously believe that 30% each year nonsense? If that were the case I would be perpetually lost. I can assure you that I seldom get lost and when I do it is not the sat-nav's fault, unless a junction is confusing or its too slow to tell me to turn at the junction.

What old fashioned way are you on about? I advised you, since you live in the real world as it is, and wish to have the very latest possible maps, to invest in a TomTom live GO which will cost you no more than one map update from Here for Nissan Connect.

You repeat that this is your priority and a necessity and I've told you how to get the latest and keep the latest. It is on the shelf at upper local store tomorrow.
But it doesn't seem to be that high a priority after all, does it.
Tony Steele

Post by Tony Steele »

Hi Quacker and QQ13 I have been following your views on the Sat nav subject with interest and your very divergent views.
I did start the original thread some time ago and it's been very interesting to read and learn from people's experience's and knowledge on the subject, excellent! Just what a good forum should do.
My original question was I think , having bought a brand new car for about £25 K all I would expect as part of the sale would be an up to date as possible version of the mapping and that's about it. In my opinion the sat nav is an integral part of the car and a very useful feature used by many.
In short all I want is good customer service .
Tony.
Kev1nDonn
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kev1nDonn »

This post seems to keep going off track.

I blame the out of date maps.
Tekna 1.5 dci in Metallic Grey with Full Leather (Black) and Driver Assist Pack.