Outdated Sat Nav Mapping

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
johnbull

Post by johnbull »

:cry: Hi,
Did you realise your maps are out of date ??
Look at the dates on the data files on your SD card ( read on a computer ) and you will find they are from 2013 but Nissan decides that is fine. Here Maps who supply the mapping say they update their data every three months ,
but Nissan decide not to translate the said data into usable data for the connect system so we are left with maps
at least 2 years out of date . Unacceptable .
Drive carefully, Live longer

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

and cost when they do come out, is very expensive from NISSAN.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Yep, well known 'issue' with the map data being at least 1 year older than the date on the card.

Nothing new, and Nissan blame the map supplier for extortionate cost. You will find the extortionate cost of map data is not limited to Nissan.

Information about this has been knocking around for a while though since the Connect 1 system also has the same lag so if people researched fully before buying their car, they would already know this and either live with the cost, look for cheaper alternatives, use alternatives, or not buy the car!
Gel

Post by Gel »

..or dig out their old Garmin/ TomTom etc which have 1/4ly map updates at fraction of cost.
Of course on many recent Satnavs they include free lifetime map updates.
Noticeable in many police progs., the upmarket Beemers/Volvos they drive often have a Tom Tom on dashboard, supplementing the expensive OEM system.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

"Nissan complaining about extortionate cost"!!! Don't make me laugh. If with ther buying power they c ant negotiate a contract like Tom Tom etc then they need new people it's just another way of making money. Doesn't really bother me as roads don't change enough to cause a problem. Nissan is no different to any othe business these days I.e to extract max money for minimum effort.
In my early days, a long time ago, prices were based on cost plus (( an acceptable profit). Now it's what the market will bear.
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade
Tony Steele

Post by Tony Steele »

Just been trying to find this out. Just got a new Tekna 1.2 and was initially delighted to see an SD card instead of a cd as in my last car a Honda CR-V . With Honda they produce a new disc every 2 years for £180! Not sure but it sounds like my maps are already 2 years old?! Is a new update due? In this day and age how come you can't take the SD card to the dealer and have it updated on their system for a 'reasonable' fee. Yeh I know there are copyright issues, loads of money etc. But come on someone Nissan ? Map supplier ?we've just spent a lot of our hard earned on your products, well that's my nieve rant over, but would like still like to know if paying for the thing an update is due now/soon and how much? Might even try Nissans customer service (you never know)...
Tony.
Kev1nDonn

Post by Kev1nDonn »

Are Nissan telling porkies if they complain of extortionate costs? I have a portable Garmin which cost £100 and for a further £80 (ish) I have lifetime map updates. The maps are supplied by Here and are updated every 3 months. Nissan's maps are also supplied by Here so why aren't their maps updated every three months and why can't I get lifetime updates for £80 (ish)?
Is it possible that the chap in charge of VW's emission systems moonlights for Nissan's sat nav maps?
Tekna 1.5 dci in Metallic Grey with Full Leather (Black) and Driver Assist Pack.
bike kid

Post by bike kid »

i bought a 13 plate tekna from one of the steelers in hull and mentioned the sat nav to the sales man he said it updates itself automaticly but have my doubts.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The Connect and Connect 2 do not update the maps over the air. It will tell you automatically to 'visit your dealer' when it thinks an update is available.

The Connect 2 however does have the ability to update your route depending upon traffic information it receives... but that's about it!
Tony Steele

Post by Tony Steele »

Hi SplanK,
Just reading your post on updating the Sat Nav maps. You mention the Connect and Connect 2 . What vehicles do they refer to ? I have a 65 plate Tekna and my handbooks have the 'Connect' system on them ( not connect 2) wondered if they refer to other vehicle types or has there been an upgrade?
Regards Tony.