1.5dci wheel size affects UK VED

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

When I purchased my 1.5dci Tekna in May 2014, the CO2 emissions were listed as 99g/km, however newer models are now sold as having emissions of 103g/km.
This is apparently down to your choice of wheels when the car is purchased.
If you stick with the standard Tekna 19inch alloys, then the first years VED is free and subsequent years are taxed at £20 per year.
However if you buy the car with 17inch alloys then the VED remains free every year.
Changing your wheels after purchase will not alter the VED position, but it will affect other running costs such as mpg, tyre price. Acceleration times would be affected by the smallest of amounts.
Im just wondering if Nissan had originally stretched the truth on emissions figures and have quickly implemented this to keep them away from all tge trouble that the VW group are now experiencing.

F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

This is true. I have just swapped my 19" wheel's for the 17" winter ones as per last year my mpg has improved by around 4 mpg .
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Wolf97

Post by Wolf97 »

Well this is not true, when I taxed mine(Tekna 64 plate September) for the second year it was free. I have original 19" wheels.
65 plate Tekna 1.5 diesel in Storm White
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

19" Tekna Model

Same here; I wonder if you downsize tyres (for those affected) if there's a mechanism for advising DVLA regards getting VED changed??

Al this is academic anyway, because of the changes announced in budget re future change to VED calculations so we Tekna 1.5dci's (with 19"!!)
will have to pay VED; make the most of the zero charge whilst you can :x
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

I thought the CO2 changes were due to euro VI engine modifications?
I can't see how it has anything to do with wheel sizes?

I was of the impression they'd sacrificed a few CO2's to improve NOx emissions?
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

AlleyCat wrote:I thought the CO2 changes were due to euro VI engine modifications?
I can't see how it has anything to do with wheel sizes?

I was of the impression they'd sacrificed a few CO2's to improve NOx emissions?
Its quite possible that EuroV had all tyre sizes falling under 100gms/km but that meeting EuroVI with increased EGR has very slightly increased fuel consumption and therefore CO2 emissions just that little bit, enough to put the wider tyres over the 100gm mark in the test.

Like Honda, Nissan/Renault have decided to achieve Euro6 with NOx storage catalyst rather than the more complex but more efficient SCR/Adblue route. This means a more competitively priced car and no purchase of Adblue, but at the cost of higher fuel consumption and CO2 emission than otherwise.

Personally I favour Adblue, because it results in far lower long term running costs. Peugeot/Citroen have gone down the SCR/Adblue route and the difference in fuel consumption between the old EuroV and new SCR/EuroVI engines is an improvement in 20mpg on the combined test cycle for the Peugeot 309.

The wide tyre option on the Qashqai has no practical effect on rolling circumference or overall gearing. The reason it effects fuel consumption is the increased air and rolling resistance due to width and contact area respectively.
I would have though that there would be more difference between tyre brands and due to chosen tyre pressure than the marginal increase in width from the two tyre choices concerned. But these are not variables that are considered during an official test, and nor should they be.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Wolf97, it is correct. Things have changed since we bought our vehicles. Check out Nissans website. The reason is down to the choice of wheel size.