Stop/Start System Failure.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Hi, newbie to the forum so please be gentle!

I have been driving my Nissan QQ 2014 plate for a couple of months and I get the stop start error a couple of times a week. As the car is under warranty I took it into the dealers. They said this problem is either the battery or driver error (??) They said the battery was a bit flat and charged it up - I collected the car and a few days later the error appeared.

Took it back in last week and was told battery is fine and then was asked how I drive the car. For 30 years or so I've been driving with my left foot resting on the clutch whilst cruising in the higher gears. Apparently this can cause the stop start system error. They said it causes a fault in the system as you are going over bumps in the road and after 10 times this causes the error to occur. Is this correct? Looking at the complaints on this thread it seems to be there may be some inherent design problems with the stop start function and that dealers have an easy way out by blaming "user error". Has anyone else overcome this problem by changing their driving habits - interestingly a lot people I ask drive in the same way as me!

This error always occurs when I'm braking at a junction (clutch in) . I don't use the stop start function at all and would gladly have it permanently switched off. My understanding is you can switch this off every time the car is started but it won't get rid of the error.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

When stationery keep all your feet well away from the pedals, or I find, in stop mode even briefest /light touch of any pedal will restart engine.
Never the less even doing this, it will sometimes start again, which presumably the car's ECU (BCM in Nissan speak) is telling it to do.
I find mine is more active since last service / s/ware update, and more akin to a previous Beemer I had.
One member here is doing a device you can wire in to have it permanently off, but as you surmise, turning off yourself will only work for that journey. Next time you start up, it'll be back.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

To be honest. I'm not bothered about using it the S/S function and it rarely activates as I tend not to go into neutral when I'm waiting at the lights. My problem is the error itself and if my driving habits are actually causing this error or if it would have occurred anyway. The Nissan dealership advised me to move my seat back a notch and keep my foot off the clutch when not changing gear. If that's the cause then fair enough but I think a lot of people drive like this and it seems strange that this error could be produced so easily .

Is it true that turning it off for the journey will not prevent the error?
switchback

Post by switchback »

As Gel says, keep your foot away from the clutch, only the slightest touch will restart the car or in your case prevent the system working. The SS system works really well if you let it do what it wants. I can't really see why people want to turn it off as it looks after itself and doesn't interfere with driving in any way. Once you're used to it, you forget it's even there.................................Driving with your foot resting on the clutch can sometimes cause premature failure of the release bearing as does sitting at the lights with the clutch depressed, although it sounds like you've been OK for the last 30 years. I would agree with the dealer and say that user error is the most likely cause.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm agreeing here 100%, paying particular attention to the keeping your foot off the clutch when cruising.

switchback wrote:As Gel says, keep your foot away from the clutch, only the slightest touch will restart the car or in your case prevent the system working. The SS system works really well if you let it do what it wants. I can't really see why people want to turn it off as it looks after itself and doesn't interfere with driving in any way. Once you're used to it, you forget it's even there.................................Driving with your foot resting on the clutch can sometimes cause premature failure of the release bearing as does sitting at the lights with the clutch depressed, although it sounds like you've been OK for the last 30 years. I would agree with the dealer and say that user error is the most likely cause.
Deleted User 3871

The SS function activates when the car is in neutral & stationary (Does not need park applied), so if its not working then there is a fault somewhere.

I find when the air-con is running it will usually prevent the S/S from stopping the engine.

You should not be getting an error even if u do rest your foot on the clutch.
Moribund wrote:To be honest. I'm not bothered about using it the S/S function and it rarely activates as I tend not to go into neutral when I'm waiting at the lights. My problem is the error itself and if my driving habits are actually causing this error or if it would have occurred anyway. The Nissan dealership advised me to move my seat back a notch and keep my foot off the clutch when not changing gear. If that's the cause then fair enough but I think a lot of people drive like this and it seems strange that this error could be produced so easily .

Is it true that turning it off for the journey will not prevent the error?
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Many thanks for the responses on here.

Just to clarify that if I stop and release both clutch and brake with car in neutral the Stop Start does work. It's just that usually I'm stopping with the clutch depressed and stay that way until pulling away. My problem is that I keep getting the system error whilst driving and once this occurs (with the Auto flashing) it sometimes clears after 5 minutes but sometimes remains until I restart the car.

I'm doing my best to stop riding the clutch and once in top gear put my left foot to the side. I'm hoping that this will resolve the issue. I guess that not understanding how my driving is causing the error makes it harder to rectify the problem.
Deleted User 3871

The car has a fault. Take it to the dealer or approved garage & ask them to kindly fix it. Chances are its a faulty clutch switch. Maybe a passenger could video the fault as it happens as proof? May add some weight to your argument.

Try to let the clutch off when stationary, the car will deal deal with everything & start the engine before you have put it into gear & eased the clutch up. The environment will also love you for helping keep down your CO2 emissions. I think my QQ is reporting a saving of 3KG of CO2 using S/S and I've only covered 7000 miles.
Moribund wrote:Many thanks for the responses on here.
My problem is that I keep getting the system error whilst driving and once this occurs (with the Auto flashing) it sometimes clears after 5 minutes but sometimes remains until I restart the car.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

I suspect you're right Daewar - Problem is I know next to nothing about cars. The Nissan dealer is telling me that this a common fault caused by either the battery or by people who drive in the way I do. I can easily prove the fault is occurring by taking a photo or video but this will only show the error on the dashboard display after the error has occurred . So unless Someone from Nissan discounted their theory I'm not sure how to move forward on this other than trying to adjust the way I drive and see if it cures the problem. Is there any way of contacting Nissan and asking for advice?
Deleted User 3871

Google Search "contact Nissan"

It's a few lines down from the top, but to save u the trouble here it is:

Nissan Customer Services
Tel: 0330 123 1231

Oh, one other thing, don't mention leaving your foot on or now off the clutch when driving. Only if they ask you about your driving style, and ask about what you do with the clutch, say u remove it every time between gear changes.
Moribund wrote:I suspect you're right Daewar - Problem is I know next to nothing about cars. The Nissan dealer is telling me that this a common fault caused by either the battery or by people who drive in the way I do. I can easily prove the fault is occurring by taking a photo or video but this will only show the error on the dashboard display after the error has occurred . So unless Someone from Nissan discounted their theory I'm not sure how to move forward on this other than trying to adjust the way I drive and see if it cures the problem. Is there any way of contacting Nissan and asking for advice?