Starting in the Cold

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
firestarteruk

Post by firestarteruk »

I'm new to my Qash had it about 5 months. Its a 14 plate so the new shape. 1.6 Diesel.

Cold starting in the mornings after a frost is proving a struggle. I have the push buttion start model, Manual gears.

I assumed that when I pushed the button that the car would wait and heat via glowplugs before turning over.

I seems the car tries to start right away and tries about 3 cycles before firing.

Am I doing something wrong?

ovation99

Post by ovation99 »

Yes you are !
Push the Start button WITHOUT touching the clutch or brake pedals, then wait for the "coil" warning light go out.
Then start as normal
firestarteruk

Post by firestarteruk »

Wow that's great, ill try that next time. Is that in the manual as the preferred method?
ovation99

Post by ovation99 »

Don't know about that, as I don't have a diesel anymore, but thats what I used to do when I did have a Tekna 1.5 dci.
It makes sense that you have to have the coil at enough temperature to ignite the fuel and obviously this takes a little longer in cold weather.
Brill

Post by Brill »

We have the diesel automatic model and I always get in, press the start button, then while I am putting my seatbelt on and adjusting seat, mirror etc (because the wife has been driving it) it starts.
1.6 DCI CVT Acenta Premium September 2014
duncho

Post by duncho »

Brill wrote:We have the diesel automatic model and I always get in, press the start button, then while I am putting my seatbelt on and adjusting seat, mirror etc (because the wife has been driving it) it starts.
I don't know how about the manual but CVT does the job itself after you attempt to start the car Brake + Start button (during engine start delay glow plugs are engaged). Starting ignition prior engine start is useless.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Im a 1.5dci, the car sorts itself out just starting as normal. As duncho says, I cant see hitting the start button twice making any difference as the car is not programmed to start unless certain parameters are met.
BWA

Post by BWA »

I have a 1.5dci tekna and don't have to do the double start thing??? When I press clutch and start button my car waits itself until the coil warming light goes out before firing the engine.
On a warm day engine fires almost straight away, on a cold day it takes a few seconds until the car fires the engine
65 plate Tekna 1.5 DCI with panoramic roof, magnetic red, space saver spare wheel kit
duncho

Post by duncho »

BWA wrote:I have a 1.5dci tekna and don't have to do the double start thing??? When I press clutch and start button my car waits itself until the coil warming light goes out before firing the engine.
On a warm day engine fires almost straight away, on a cold day it takes a few seconds until the car fires the engine
Correct. In general it may feel more rough starting engine in the winter time, however, if you feel it's really struggling better have it checked. The best is if you could compare your car to the same model of someone else, or if you record short video and ask someone to do the same so you can see it yourself ;)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

I think everyone has covered this already but just to confirm - our 1.5 dCi starts fine. I just press the start button as normal and there is a short delay then the engine fires up first time every time.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze