New Tyre steering problem!!!!!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

take it to kwick-fit or a local garage, and ask them to check the tracking for you (it don`t cost nothing to have it checked) then you`ll know if bristol street are not fobbing you off.. and check your tyre pressures in the morn when cold and see just how much air is in them

Tion

Post by Tion »

andy2019 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:59 pm take it to kwick-fit or a local garage, and ask them to check the tracking for you (it don`t cost nothing to have it checked) then you`ll know if bristol street are not fobbing you off.. and check your tyre pressures in the morn when cold and see just how much air is in them
Could be worth a shot, going to look for somewhere with hunter 4 wheel alignment close to me and see if I can get it checked free.
Not a fan of kwik fit as I don’t trust them due to previous experiences
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I wouldn't expect steering wheel angle to be an issue unless it put the ESP light on and disabled dynamic ABS adjustments for stability. Thats an MOT failure. Steering issues are steering/suspension geometry and front to back related..or bad tyres/wheels. And uncalibrated alignment equipment/operators.

Steering Angle is not checked/reset on tyre/wheel change...must be at alignment/tracking/repair though. Nissan Service documents show that as a 3 step procedure after mechanical changes. Angular error not to exceed +/- 3.5 degrees about centre (wheels straight ahead) and Angular memory zeroed.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Change the back wheels to the front, non matching tyres could be causing the problem, especially if different tread depths.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Tion

Post by Tion »

Thanks for above comments.

It’s interesting to think it could be just the tyres at fault.
Or it could be when the front passenger side tyre was changed the wheel alignment and steering angle sensor has not been done
Tion

Post by Tion »

Ok so here’s an update
Took car to Bristol Street Nissan in Darlington today.
They checked over the car and brakes as I asked them toZ
They agree there’s an issue and said it needed 4 wheel alignment. However they couldn’t do the alignment as didn’t have the equipment, they use a garage called store spot down the road.
I rang the Sunderland branch who agreed I would pay tyrespot and they would reimburse me.

So tyrespot explained they can only do front wheel alignment on Qashqai as rear is fixed.
So they straighten steering wheel and adjust front wheels.
Take it for a drive and said it’s spot on.
Took it back to Nissan and they reset steering angle sensor.

I asked them to drive it to ensure issue fixed, technician comes back and says still not right and still pulling to the right under acceleration.
They had it on the ramps and checked underneath and cannot see any damage or bent parts.

I spoke to Bristol street Sunderland who then say take it in and let them sort out. They will get there service manager to review it and take it from there.
So I mention I’m not happy and want to reject the car, they tell me I can’t and they have the right to fix it.
If they deem they can’t or it will cost too much they won’t fix it. Then we take next step but he didnt say what.

I explained I’ve only had the car 11 days and have the right to reject it but once again he states I can’t.

I got home and looked at service book, contacted previous owner who advised it was mobility car and had it 3 years. It passed mot and no issues. Drove perfect, asked about steering issues etc and they said none.
Asked why p/s tyre was changed and they said puncture and not repairable.

Where do I go from here ? I need advice
Thanks
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

I would certainly not consider a steering problem a minor issue and you have already given the dealer an opportunity to fix the car
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

This is what I remember about Consumer Law: (see Which link above for the 3 options)

Important time limits on faulty car claims
"I’ve owned the car for less than 30 days The Consumer Rights Act gives you an initial 30 days to reject it, if it is faulty, and claim a full refund from the dealer that sold it to you. You can also ask for it to be repaired or replaced"
"After those first 30 days you have to give the dealer a chance to repair or replace the car".

I have a different tread tyre on my 67 QQ N-Connecta driver side front wheel (Damaged rim) and the car steers and accelerates perfectly. Thats not unlawful so I couldn't really reject on that.

You appear to be within 30 days ownership and been in discussion with the seller about the problem. It appears that they've assessed the car and tried to repair. And failed.

The next step for you I'd say is local Trading Standards (TS) and you need to give the seller written notice. Its best to speak to TS first. There is an option if things get sticky for an RAC mechanical test...at cost.

I suspect the dealer is working on the fact that you didn't spot the problem before you purchased the car but that does not relieve him. He has to prove that a problem is/was not present based on your claim. So far it says little about the quality of their engineering skill...this is just a car that they should be fully familiar with.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Tion

Post by Tion »

calnorth wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:28 am This is what I remember about Consumer Law: (see Which link above for the 3 options)

Important time limits on faulty car claims
"I’ve owned the car for less than 30 days The Consumer Rights Act gives you an initial 30 days to reject it, if it is faulty, and claim a full refund from the dealer that sold it to you. You can also ask for it to be repaired or replaced"
"After those first 30 days you have to give the dealer a chance to repair or replace the car".

I have a different tread tyre on my 67 QQ N-Connecta driver side front wheel (Damaged rim) and the car steers and accelerates perfectly. Thats not unlawful so I couldn't really reject on that.

You appear to be within 30 days ownership and been in discussion with the seller about the problem. It appears that they've assessed the car and tried to repair. And failed.

The next step for you I'd say is local Trading Standards (TS) and you need to give the seller written notice. Its best to speak to TS first. There is an option if things get sticky for an RAC mechanical test...at cost.

I suspect the dealer is working on the fact that you didn't spot the problem before you purchased the car but that does not relieve him. He has to prove that a problem is/was not present based on your claim. So far it says little about the quality of their engineering skill...this is just a car that they should be fully familiar with.

I’ve spoken to Santander my finance company this morning and explained the issues.
They have logged a formal complaint and I’ll hear from their complaint handler within next 4-7 working days.
I’ve said I am not happy with this car, even if it was repaired it may never drive correctly and I want a replacement.

Santander said give the dealer 1 chance to repair it and if they can’t or not done satisfactory then I can get a like for like replacement as long as dealer accepts the car back. But Santander confirmed if it gets into a dispute and we have proof it doesn’t drive correctly (independent report from assessor which Santander can help with) then they can push for like for like car and dealer to accept faulty car back.

I’ve also spoken to the boss at Bristol Street motors this morning and explained the situation which they were unaware of, I’ve previously dealt with salesman and his manager. Now I’m dealing with higher up.
I stated car isn’t safe to drive. I don’t feel safe and explained wanted to reject car and get replacement.
She’s arranged a hire car for me, I’ve dropped Qashqai off today. They are going to check it over and if necessary send to a Nissan dealer for further investigation.
I told them I’ll give them until next Wednesday to have it checked and provide an update.
If no further forward I will not be happy and will pushing to reject it basing it on the fact I’m paying for a car I can’t use and I deem not fit for purpose.
If I accelerate and car pulls to the right and I cause an accident they dealer won’t be liable or pay for costs. That will be my problem and I’m not comfortable with that.
Car should not be pulling in any direction upon acceleration in my opinion. Drove a number of cars including other Qashqais and this hasn’t happened.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

You should also follow up all of the above in an email to The Boss at Bristol Street Motors. just set the main points out and refer to your earlier conversation.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.