Diesel DPF Issues

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

There are some aspects of DPF's that can't be sorted by an "italian tune up".In fact the VAG book specifically advises not to rag the car to clear the filter.The mazda 6 is a classic example of how a badly designed DPF setup can cause some serious / long lasting and frankly devastating issues (for owners).The system they employ(ed) involved diesel getting sprayed onto the filter and igniting it.If the "regen" was stopped mid-cycle or quite often, even if it wasn't, the unburt diesel ended up in the sump.Basically it has a two fold impact.The oil for the engine is contaminated and isn't as good at it's job, putting early expiration on key parts.The oil level rises over time and it can cause the engine to lunch itself if the owner doesn't monitor it.The original Euro 5 QQ's had quite a few DPF issues i have read about, although i'll admit it appears the problems became lesser over time.If this is due to engineering fixes or sales advice, i'm unsure.The ambulance service has an utter mare with DPF's on their fast responder paramedic cars, as they sit idling a lot of the time, to power all the gear they carry.I imagine that Taxi drivers are going to run into similar issues as the older diesels die off.Whilst some of the above examples are at the extreme ends of the spectrum they are serious considerations for people, or should be, if they intend to run vehicles over short distances.
Nissan no more...

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Lol only our goverment can claim DPF actualy is greenYou will need a motorway hike and use more tyres etc lolRegeneration needs max temp running speed and at least 40mphYes MOT stations are now obliged to "check" on DPF, unless they have a xray machine they might actualy find that difficult, the emmisions do give a pointer but no one ever moans at cracks on windscreens (previously a non MOT essential) any moreYes for every horror story on DPF and I personaly dislike them give it time prices will fall down and dont forget these shouldnt just pounce on you, you get a warning light come up it needs to be driven in accordance to regenerateIn past 4 years with 27 fleet cars we not had a single problem that a motrway blast hasnt cured to be fairA friend of mine owns a taxi buisness 45 of there cars chugging around the city and the only comment hew has to say is the fuel economy when they regenerate (they backflush to help burn the soot out) Dealers do try and hard sell petrol engines (the 1.2 engine models seem to be avoiding the delays)When cat convertors came out horror storys just like this and notice these are not even heard of if you dont include the theft of them
korky

Post by korky »

You see I know the 1.5 was a wrong choice if the DPF goes wrong but I'll make sure I'll take the car from parents to give the car a motorway run around once a month...

If it becomes a real problem then will need to swap cars for a week or so allowing me to run it. I'm just hopeful in the grand scheme of it all with no tax and better efficiency it will actually save them money in the long term

Had I of known re the 1.6 petrol coming later this year I may have waitedkorky2014-03-19 22:39:22
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

[quote="korky"]You see I know the 1.5 was a wrong choice if the DPF goes wrong but I'll make sure I'll take the car from parents to give the car a motorway run around once a month...If it becomes a real problem then will need to swap cars for a week or so allowing me to run it. I'm just hopeful in the grand scheme of it all with no tax and better efficiency it will actually save them money in the long termHad I of known re the 1.6 petrol coming later this year I may have waited[/QUOTE]It's not the wrong choice if you go into it with your eyes open to the possibility.The problems arise from the fact most people don't know and aren't even made aware of the possibility of these issues, or it's tucked away in a book most people never read.You also can end up in a "rock and hard place" situation if you need to tow but only do a few k miles a year as the petrols are, not usually, up to the job or not available with the 4wd / gearbox choices people want.The technology is, as it stands, on the fly with the general public bearing the brunt of testing.Dual Mass Flywheels are another potential wallet crucifier but that's for another day :)
Nissan no more...
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Alleycat another perfect exampleCat convertors id overlooked dual mass flywheelsIm old enough to remember horror stories of both fuel injection and a box that distributes the engines electrics that of course would cost the earth when that lot went wrong Every time new tech comes out we all worry not putting down anyone whos had a DPF go down just saying normaly there is a warning and the key is to ensure the cars engine is as hot as it can be BEFORE hitting the motorway, speeds of 40mph constant are fine and there are garages already regenerating the DPF filters (basicly a good wash in fuel)Airflow sensors and crankshaft sensors all of the above most of us would of encountered at some pointAnd talking of MOT failings no one mentioned the tyre pressure sensors that are infamous on every Manufacture to fail are also fitted to the QQ and I bet other than our chinese friend who seems to be selling everything these wont be cheapNissan are not known to be a company to bash out unreliable vehicles, my wife still has a Micra thats old enough to drive itself soon
Contigo

Post by Contigo »

[quote="Marianda24"]What is WOT, Phil?[/QUOTE]
Wide Open Throttle....
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

TC3

Post by TC3 »

[quote="Contigo"][quote="Marianda24"]What is WOT, Phil?[/QUOTE]
Wide Open Throttle....[/QUOTE]
I thought we only used that term in the bike world.
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

Contigo

Post by Contigo »

I'm a Petrolhead so I use it alot
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

ivelina

Post by ivelina »

I just read this - http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/consume ... er.htmlCan anyone find any mention of a DPF in the New Qahsqai manual? Or a warning light on the dash? When mine got blocked, it only came up with the amber engine management light and that is when it was completely blocked, i.e. too late to go for a motorway run to let it self-clear.
New Qashqai, 1.6 DCI Tekna, registered March 2014, 22500 miles on the clock
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Ivelina:did you speak to Nissan CS about this in their statement:-"If an owner still finds they need DPF regeneration at the dealer, Nissan
will cover the first instance under warranty and will again seek to
educate the owner about the procedure so further work is unnecessary."You shouldn't be getting charged anything based on that surely?
Nissan no more...