Cleaning the panoramic roof and the wheels

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

So today, just a week after getting my 16 plate ink blue Tekna, I thought it was looking a little dusty so gave it a clean. Firstly I got to work on the wheels. I used this brush; http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-an ... d_581.html after lots of research as I didn't want a brush that scratched the wheels. But now I'm worried I've scratched them. After cleaning them there seemed to be something that looked like scratches on the black parts of the wheels. I tried scraping them with my nails and it seemed to come off a little bit but not very easily....could it be oil or brake dust or something?! I was using autoglym custom wheel cleaner but it didn't shift it and I didn't want to try too hard with the brush incase it was scratching them! What does everyone use to clean their wheels? Also if they are scratches is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

Secondly, how on earth do people clean the panoramic roof?! I can't reach it! I'm going to have to get a step ladder! I spent 2 and a half hours cleaning the QQ, it looked beautiful apart from the potential wheel scratches. I reversed the car back into the car port and all the water on the roof that I wasn't able to reach dribbled down my sparkling windscreen and bonnet....doh!

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Your wheel brush wont be a problem. It will just be excess grease/lubricant holding on to break dust. A little time and effort now will get the marks off. If you let it sit on the wheels too long the brake dust will eat into the alloy and the black finish. There are loads of 'wheel specific' protection products ot there, but they are all much the same. Use whatever you are using on the rest of the car but take the time to put on 3 or 4 extra coats on the wheels each time. Removing the marks is easy. In the past ive used autoglym tar remover, and more recently a product from Costco called 'Oil Eater'. Whatever you use, just dont let it sit on the wheels for too long. As soon as the marks soften tgen firmly wipe off. Ive even used WD40 to good effect, but not as easy or as quick as the previous two.
Cleaning the roof is easy, even if you're a short arse! Dont mess about with steps, just buy yourself a cheap 'bathroom/toilet step', like you would buy for young children to reach the toilet and hand basin in a bathroom. Cheap, light, and keep it in the boot upside down...store small items in it to stop them going all over the boot.
When you wash your car, before you attempt to dry it, take it round thegblock for 5 minutes thengdry it. That should stop water running down the side from the roof.
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

Thank you for reassuring me that I haven't scratched them, I do hope you're right! Will autoglym custom wheel cleaner be strong enough to get the grease off (if I put a bit more effort in) or should I get something stronger?

I work in a school....why didn't I think of a little step?! What a good idea. I could even use an upturned bucket!

I thought when washing a car you were supposed to dry it quickly otherwise it goes all streaky? So surely driving it around the block when it's all covered in droplets will make it go streaky? I'm knew to all this so bear with me if I'm talking nonsense!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

ImoT, if you take a look at "Nissan Stepladder" / Main Qashqai Discussions" you will see some facts that might help you. The ladder I bought from Lidl and it does the job of cleaning the Pano Roof. What I would recommend is to buy some "Rain-X" Glass Cleaner / Treatment as this forms a coat over the glass and the rain beads and flies off. It is used on all our windows and during the frost we have found it easier to clean the side windows also, you do need to use it at every wash.
I am not a tight A _ _ _ but I usually buy "Lidl" Alloy Wheel Cleaner sprayed on, soft brushed off, washed / hosed and then polished and or use a Nano polish. I have been using this stuff on all our Alloys and found it not to be aggressive and attack the Alloys or surface finish. Naturally there is a vast range of products on the market and people have their preferences - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

As per DaveBerlin's recommendations above, get yourself some Rain-ex. There are different varients of it avaliable and I think Dave has only been abke to get the 'weaker' of the ones available. The one Dave mentions is a multi purpose cleaner and repellent. The one I use is 'Rain-ex Rain Repellent'. It is less commonly available in car accessory shops and is a little more expensive, but does last substantially longer between applications. On the side windows a good application will least a good 6 to 12 months, and on the windscreen and back window its usefulness becomes less after 3 to 4 months. You can also buy it as a screenwash to keep your windscreen repellent topped up but ive never used this. It really is that good, so much so that I apply it to my windows at home once a year in summer, then when it rains whatever dust etc is clinging to the glass is simply rinsed off. No need to wash tge windows either, just wet and wipe dry, its saved me loads of time and effort.
Dave also swears by Lidl carcare products, something I have yet to try, but only because every time I shop there they dont seem to have any left. Others have said how good their products are as well, so thats good enough for me. Enjoy your car.
Last edited by gvmdaddy on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonTheFish

Post by MonTheFish »

old bit of claybar will lift it if you can pick it off with your finger nail.
aussiebob

Post by aussiebob »

I bucket wash and can't reach the roof either. Instead of a step I usually just open the door grab the roofrail and stand on the door sill. Doing this one door at a time I can cover the whole roof.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, I started using Rain-X about 20 years when I bought some in the US and then with the QQ Pano Roof I decided to give it another Go and yes you are correct it is Rain-X 2 in 1 Window Cleaner and it does the job.
Regarding the Lidl (W5) Products I am no cheap skate but just find when they are available convenient to top up the stock. I have these products from Lidl : Cockpit Spray (Silicon Free), Plastic Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, Bird S _ _ _ Remover, Tyre Cleaner, Wheel Cleaner. I have never had a problem of any type with these products and I am a little particular (quote from the wife :D ). Also I am not an employe ! :). It could well be that out here we get a wider range of products also. What I use on the bodywork though is Mequiars Products.
aussiebob, that is an easy way, but what I found is you get scratches on the St.Stl / Chrome Door Trims or Sills and I added addition Clear Foil Strips also - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ImoT

Post by ImoT »

I have autoglym life shine on the car and the water does bead nicely. Do you still suggest I use rain ex every few months? I've got autoglym fast glass so was going to use that each time I wash it.

Do you think autoglym tar remover would get the wheel grease off, or would clay work better?
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

gvmdaddy, you mention them and they appear, next week the Lidl Auto Products are out again over here. Take a look at the attachment for what is available just for interest.
Cockpit Cleaner Tissues / Leather Tissues / Window Cleaner Tissues / Paper Roll (oversize Toliet Roll but worth having) / Hand Cleaner / Leather €7,99 / Wheel Cleaner / Insect Remover €1,99 / Tyre Cleaner Protector €2,99.
It would be interesting to know if these become available in the UK or on their Website - Dave ;)

image.png