My car seat won't fit - seat belt not long enough

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Of all our things we can moan about to be fair this is an accesory not cars faultI once bought a Volvo and the only phone that wouldnt pair up easily with it was my iphone, it was a big thing but just as expensiveAnnoying yes isofix isnt a new thing and most chairs either have them or do a base to fitAs for correctly fitting a seat belt on a chair I wathed a news programe where they stopped cars to check and the figures were terrible for incorrect fittings making isofix a sensible optionCouple hundred quid for a safe base to be fair isnt that much considering what it does, in fact speaking to friends who now have grandchildren couple hundred quid doesnt go that far at all considering cost of chairs and buggys

Contigo

Post by Contigo »

We were told to avoid system car seats as they were not up to the job and as safe as a dedicated car seat. Do yourself a favour and buy something like a Maxi Cosi car seat with isofix.
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

korky

Post by korky »

Interesting thread - I never realised rear belts are not a standard length. That said we bought an isofix base in December from Kiddicare when they had 20% off...best bit was they agreed to price match it (from £149 to £109) and then the till took a further 20% off

Wish I'd have bought a second one!

That said isofix is most definitely the way forward - so straightforward and safer than belt.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Even if ISOFIX is used, you might find seatbelt short. There are 2 types of ISOFIX seats and one of them uses also seatbelt (example). I have the same problem on my old QQ.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
korky

Post by korky »

[quote="duncho"] Even if ISOFIX is used, you might find seatbelt short. There are 2 types of ISOFIX seats and one of them uses also seatbelt (example).A <span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4;">I have the same problem on my old QQ.A </span>[/QUOTE]

Good shout - I didn't realise that
duncho

Post by duncho »

The problem appears only when you have a seat with the padding, because it goes more around the kids belly and padding. It is not a case of straps based seats (which are claimed as not good as those with padding). I read a lot about this issue on "children related" forums and it appears that car makers have different seat belt lengths. For example, owners of Audi and Renault did not report this issue.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!