LED replacement exterior bulbs

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

So far i have only changed the interiour lights and the number plate lights with w5w LED bulbs (canbus because i already had them from my countryman). As you can from the hyper link below, many have resistors fitted to the bulb for canbus systems, but like many people have said in the forum, you only need canbus for the indicators, the rest can be standard w5w LEDs.

http://www.aliexpress.com/af/w5w-led.ht ... xt=w5w+led

The bulbs I purchased came from China Aliexpress & cost pennies - if you want to be a little different you can get orange, red, green, blue etc. for the interiour, im thinking of getting red / orange as it helps with night vision.

Side lights on many cars are w5w bulbs and you can get some nice bright 2- 5 watt LEDs for that DRL look, just don't choose to high a temperature as they will look blue. 4,000k is about right if u want bright white, 6,000k is starting to turn blue.

I could go on about fog / head lights, but u have to be very careful on what you purchase, as a lot of these lights need lenses to stop u blinding the drivers coming down the road towards you!!! I think most of us have seen the dazzling bright lights fitted to old cars, the light just scatters all over the place and is very ineffective when night driving as the light pattern cast on the road is usually very poor.

A common Brake light is a 21w bulb, so again if you want that led look, you could start here http://www.aliexpress.com/af/21w-led.ht ... xt=21w+led

Just make sure you check the bulbs type / colour in your car before you purchase. Some bulbs are coloured, some not, so take a look at yours first.
Hound wrote:With the indicators, LEDs have a much lower resistance than incandescent bulbs so unless the flasher relay is dual-purpose, the indicators will flash very fast (like when one of your normal indicator bulbs fail and the remaining flashes at double speed). That's what the resistors do - fool a standard flasher relay into thinking the LEDs have the same resistance as ordinary bulbs. Unfortunately that means there's little power saving because the resistors draw power to simulate load and "waste" it in heat. If Daewar's LED bulbs flash normally that suggests that the relay is LED-compatible and no resistors are needed. I'm sure he'll tell us!

craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Good info, thanks :)

I'm pretty sure for the Tekna, most exterior bulbs are LED, except the following:

Indicators
Reversing lights
Fog lights
number plate

From what I have seen, canbus is required for cars with bulb blown notification systems, however the QQ doesn't have this feature so canbus is a bit moot, although no harm in getting them.

As for Indicators, a load resister is still required to stop hyper flashing.

Is this correct?
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Talking of exterior led's

Can anyone recommend decent but not crazy priced number plate and reversing lights? I'm not having a great time with brightness :(
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
Deleted User 3871

Just buy some w5w bulbs for the number plate from aliexpress, cheap as chips. Dont need a new set of holders as they are direct replacements for your current bulbs.
craigstekna wrote:Talking of exterior led's

Can anyone recommend decent but not crazy priced number plate and reversing lights? I'm not having a great time with brightness :(
Deleted User 3871

The canbus type bulbs do the same as load resistor, that's what they have soldered onto the bulb. If you look at the links i provided you can see the resistors
craigstekna wrote:Good info, thanks :)
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Daewar wrote:The canbus type bulbs do the same as load resistor, that's what they have soldered onto the bulb. If you look at the links i provided you can see the resistors
Thanks for confirming, got some £4.69 so-called canbus 21W LED's coming for the indicators, hope they are ok. and another set in white for reversing.
Deleted User 3871

I take it you checked the colour of your bulbs with your eye or a good Web site before ordering?
craigstekna wrote:
Daewar wrote:The canbus type bulbs do the same as load resistor, that's what they have soldered onto the bulb. If you look at the links i provided you can see the resistors
Thanks for confirming, got some £4.69 so-called canbus 21W LED's coming for the indicators, hope they are ok. and another set in white for reversing.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Just in case people don't realise - a white LED behind a red or amber lens will lose a lot of light - it doesn't work like an incandescent bulb. The lens will filter the non-red or non-amber frequencies out. So, colour-match your LEDs and lenses.

Of course with a clear lens, colour of the LED bulb doesn't matter!

Captain Obvious signing out.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

i didn't know that! luckily I bought amber and white :)
Deleted User 3871

I'm probably not quite understanding your point, it to me it appears your incorrect.

For example, the mini countryman i used to own had the front indicators hidden behind a clear lens. The bulb has to flash orange for it to be the correct colour. So the colour of a bulb is critical to its operation behind a clear lens.
Hound wrote: Of course with a clear lens, colour of the LED bulb doesn't matter!