LED replacement exterior bulbs

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I was responding to your comment "The "WY" means offset bayonet base ..."
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Ah it was a guess as it was only difference. Either way I've got half a set of led indicators which is still prettier than incandescent :)
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Soooooo

Got my front indicators fitted, soo much better than the originals and much brighter however, hyper flash there is regardless of the "canbus" "error-free" advertising from the seller.

Interestingly, hyper flash is only present when using one side at a time, its fine with the hazards, so I have some load resisters coming today to hopefully fix it.

Has anyone fitted these? Can I fit them in the front or the back? And if so which is easier? I presume I only needed 2 as the read indicators didn't hyper flash when the fronts were standard bulbs.

Thanks
-Craig
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

So, being a new J11 owner and trawling through pages & pages of threads playing catch up on here replacing what bulbs can be replaced is one of the things on my agenda.
As all these bulb fitments & the requirements of resistors or not is all a bit green to me I was wondering / suggesting if someone would be kind enough to perhaps put a list together of what fitments / bulbs would be required around the QQ both inside & out and maybe sources?
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Hound added the bulb specs, you can just choose your favourite supplier eBay/amazon etc. Everyone sells them now, internals are easy, as is the number plate.

The externals are a little more tricky in terms of access and whether you need load resistors or not, it turns out I need to fit some in the front, hazards work ok though, heres a tiny vid with results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbUgaaoPd70

Craig
Ben6279

Post by Ben6279 »

craigstekna wrote:Hound added the bulb specs, you can just choose your favourite supplier eBay/amazon etc. Everyone sells them now, internals are easy, as is the number plate.
Thanks for that, found Hound's sheet. Now to start on the "to do" list.
2015 (65) 1.2l Dig T Ink Blue Tekna. Extra's yet to come, give me a chance.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Even though the list came from Nissan's own service manual for the QQ, I suspect some bulbs are wrongly listed. Maybe Craig can do a real-world list now that he's inspected all the bulbs in his LED quest.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

you may need load resistors (50w 6RJ) on the front and back depending on the bulbs you buy, I found the rears were fine, but when I added the front I got hyper flash. Im going to add resistors to only the fronts and see if that resolves it. Even though the bulbs I bought were marked can bus and error free, this seemed to be an issue with the front.

So all the indicators are 21w amber colour
- Rears are offset bayonet type
- Fronts are T20 wedge type

Reverse lights are 21W T20 wedge type

Fog's are H8 60W (I'm not sure how affective they are but look much better)

Number plate lights are W5W T10 wedge

Interior Lights are:

2 x 31mm festoon type bulbs for the rear
3 x W5W T10 for the main front interior light
1 x W5W T10 for the boot, but I'm looking at putting in a LED strip as its a bit dark.

I couldn't be bothered with the glovebox as it was a bit of a PITA.

One thing to note, get 5000k bulbs, anything more than that has a blue tinge.

I bought all my exterior bulbs from AliExpress in China (took about 10 days to deliver)
The interiors came from a seller called "new xenon" on eBay which have a really pleasing white light

Hope this help.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I've been out and checked what type of bulbs the rear indicators are on my J11. They are PY21W and not WY21W as Nissan states (thanks a bunch, Nissan). That's a 15°-offset bayonet bulb with amber glass, also known as BAU15s. The LED version of this bulb is known as a 581 - you have to specify amber as these bulbs come in various colours).

The front ones, which are large glass "wedge" bulbs, are WY21W and not just W21W as Gloucester spotted and Craig has confirmed (WY is amber glass). This is also known as a T20 bulb and the LED version is a 7440 (again you'd need to specify amber colour).

If the reverse lights are also T20 as Craig says, you'd need white 7440 bulbs. If the rear foglight is also a T20 you'd need a red 7440. The owner's handbook shows them as bayonet bulbs though, which would likely be BA15s (not to be confused with the offset BAU15s) and their LED equivalent would be 1156. Without removing the tailgate inner panel, I don't know for sure whether these bulbs are glass wedge or bayonet types - hopefully Craig can confirm.

7443 bulbs look almost identical to 7440 but are dual filament (like a 5/21W tail/stop bulb). They can also be used instead of 7440 as long as you have the orientation correct.

The small glass wedge bulbs (W5W/T10) are 501 bulbs in the LED world. Again you specify the required colour.

H-type bulbs (H7, H8, H11 etc) retain the same name in LED form but the wattages are quite different - like with energy-saving household light bulbs.

I've edited Nissan's table to show what we've discovered so far. When all the bulbs have been properly identified and Nissan's errors corrected, I will replace the table and add the LED equivalent bulb types.

Just a reminder that what I'm trying to fully identify here is the bulbs used in the J11 QQ not the J10. I will look into those later.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

As soon as my reversing pair turn up this week, ill rip the back panel off and take some photos.

Craig