MPG lower than expected!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
idge2003

Post by idge2003 »

Just filled the Qashqai up and its worked out at only 40mpg its the 1.5dci which is quoted at 74mpg.

I understand I won't get that to start with as it needs to loosen up a bit but with a combination of town/carriageway driving about 5050 hoped for better!

What are you guys getting? Thinking I need to change my driving style a bit.

Brett

Donkey

Post by Donkey »

How many miles you got on it mate?These engines dont bed in until 4k normaly, ive always said for years on every new car ive had there juicy and were just running them in for next owners lolMy brother in law has last years model and he didnt get over 50mpg until 8k as it goes before that he was low 40s im hoping the new one will be betterThe demo car we tried had 2k on it and the avg showed 58mpg
idge2003

Post by idge2003 »

Only about 6-700 miles so far just in my head I still hoped for about 2/3's ish of the quoted figure.

Still alot better than my V8 Lexus was so that's the main thing I guess.

Brett
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

A good thrash up n down the rev range mate helps as long as your not on one speed if you on motorway 5 minutes change speed helps run these inYou wont find anyone checks the consumption realy for a couple K simply as its almost erratic drivingThis is why often its better to buy a second hand rep mobile than an old ladys car, especialy with diesal engines they realy need to loosen upYears ago when rebuilding engines if you compression tested a new build you would find no 2 cylinders were the sameI remember thin oil for first 500 miles (motorbikes still do that as it goes) to help them bed in but with people wanting low maintanence cars you pick a brand spanking car up and it doesnt see a oil change for 18K crazy ehNot suggesting you thin the oil to bed in faster as your warranty goes bye bye but it helps explain why the engines take so long to bed in and work as intended74mpg would be great but realisticly im hoping to see mid 60s from mine on motorway
TC3

Post by TC3 »

We have 400 miles on our 1.5. Today driving just in town averaged 57.8 mpg while yesterday which was 60% A road and 40 in town we averaged 61.5. No complaints from me...
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

idge2003

Post by idge2003 »

That's good I'd be happy with that maybe I need to drive more like a vicar. I think I'm just getting used to a manual again as had an auto for a while also need to get used to the lack of power and drive more smoothly.

Brett
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I'm at about 150 miles now. Had a 35 mile run down motorway and B road this morning and achieved 53MPG. Going to work for the past 2 days - very heavy urban traffic - just 6 miles there and back - I was at about 34 MPG.

Another blast up the motorway tomorrow of about 45 miles which should ease it up a bit again.

Update

Up M1 With majority at 50 mph in fifth gear - about 1,600 rpm. Up achieved 59 mpg , back got 63.5. Mpg since delivered is now 44. It's getting there :-)

Rob_S2014-03-30 15:59:12
Now 1.3 petrol Tekna + Gunmetal (Oct-2022)
Was 1.5dci Tekna+ Gunmetal (March 2018)
Was 1.5dci Acenta Premium Magnetic Red (March 2014)
TC3

Post by TC3 »

[quote="idge2003"]That's good I'd be happy with that maybe I need to drive more like a vicar. I think I'm just getting used to a manual again as had an auto for a while also need to get used to the lack of power and drive more smoothly.Brett[/QUOTE]
I just driving it like I did my corsa 1.4 which never got past 39 mpg. The hand book says to not put your foot to floor while running in. I dont really need to anyway as if you change gear and use the torque that is there low down it pulls pretty well. We were cruising between 70 and 85 on the A1m so not holding anyone up.
Tony ... 1.5 Acenta Premium in Gunmetal

kramrolyat70

Post by kramrolyat70 »

I'm getting an average of 44.5 but that is mainly around town...Just to add...have never paid attention to the comments about engines not being rev'd when new...never had an issue and to be honest they are made in such a way that ypu'd be hard pushed to damage them
Driving a 1.5DCi Tekna in Blade Silver since 14/02/2014
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I agrea Kramrolyat all this keep revs low is to cover up the fact they dont retighten anything anymore or even check which in iteself is crazy realy considering they enforce a rule were to recheck wheel nuts after 50 miles on a tyre change yet they can build a complete car and wont look at it again for 18kAll diesels since time began are a thrash engine, they need the RPM kept up even with the new turbos Problem is so many of us buy the oil burners for the fuel savings (to be honest not much of a saving any more) and drive them like a petrolMy wife changes gear at 1500 rpm or soon as she hears the engine and times I tell her no let it get going change gear so revs are kept up nothing worse than changing a gear and revs sitting on 1k Looking at the spec of the car I do think high 60 mpg is acheivable and considering this car is not exactly aerodynamic its a fantastic achievement