Weak Windscreen?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I worked in the Middle East for 10 years. I had Chevrolet, Nissan Patrols, Land Cruisers and various Mazdas. Not that many Range/Land Rovers around and most pick ups mainly Toyota. 20 odd year old Mercs everywhere.

I usually kept a towel over the steering wheel (still do) to stop burning my hands. Locals would cover the whole interiors in some fluffy materials to stop the plastics cooking.

Never had a busted windscreen...but the locals had plenty and largely due to a Don't Care/ Won't Pay, Lawless societies....remote anyway! Not due to Temp but likely hit or general neglect..gunfire?

Nissan has a Quality Assurance problem apart from QC.

Just wonder if the bodies are flexing where the windscreen is supposed to be structurally integral?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, did you have a Camera in your Windscreen in Middle East ? 🤫 When you look at the surface area this Camera System occupies in the Screen, could this be a weakness and just to throw a Spanner in the Works could the Panoramic Glass Roof also play a part in the problem ? - Dave 🤨

07D26682-8457-4F3A-8E90-C6A3C57D6D50.jpeg

This is a view of our LHD QQ :

A18F4415-1FCD-4F52-A589-0933B74267A9.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

No cameras Dave...just the constant raging sun, high humidity. The Aircon was called just that (not climate bollox) and no heaters fitted. Thats raw cold...no frills. Windows always shut. Glass not busting on wide temp differential across screen.

I used to bounce a Chevrolet Impala along a deeply rutted track to get to the Red Sea. No busted glass or anything else for that matter. Vehicles always being pulled out of sand....no busted glass. But busted a gearstick getting a 4wd Subaru out of shallow sand in a Town?

Don't think roof glass is an issue for cars. Only thing about it all is structural integrity, Can it tolerate the various forces? Laminate layer cracking?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Thanks Dave, will take a look
DaveBerlin wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:22 am Daewar, read your problem out to the wife this morning and she mentioned could it be a temperature problem, hot day, blower on cold air etc. The wife then looked in an ADAC (RAC/) Report and a guy mentioned a similiar happening on a VW Passat with a Camera System similiar to the QQ. His cracks generated from around the Mirror / Camera internally and he measured the temperature in this area and found it to be 65*C and his opinion was on a motorway it could be as high as 100*C. Just a few suggestions which might help.
I also took a look on the web and found some articles which might be worth a read - Dave 🤨

My Windshield Cracked For No Reason : https://www.mrgoglass.com/2017/12/04/wi ... d-cracked/

Common Windshield Crack Types: Stress, Ding, Chip : http://www.carwindshields.info/windshield-crack-types

Five common causes of windscreen damage : https://www.autoglass.ie/five-common-ca ... en-damage/
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, This is a comment from Nissan on Replacement Windscreens but is the initial installation up to snuff - Dave 🧐

That’s the view of Nissan’s aftersales experts, who say at least one in five windscreen repairs across the industry requires secondary remedial work. The reason is poorly executed fixes or inaccurate calibration of safety technology in the glazed area. Most mobile operators are unable to accurately calibrate windscreens at the roadside following windscreen repair or replacement.

6F96EFD1-7747-41E8-8008-F2082B293852.jpeg

Substandard windscreen repairs to rise as built-in technology surges, Nissan warns :

https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/rel ... ssan-warns
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Guys, forgot about this until now. A few days after the damage to done to my QQ windscreen, my Wife & I went back to the Gym and even parked close to where the car was when the screen was damaged. Anyways, to keep the story short, we found a golf ball in the gravel walking back to the car, two days later. Looks like someone was playing golf nearby (illegally) and managed to put one into my windscreen. The kinetic energy looks like it may have transferred through the screen when it hit, and damaged the inside of the screen only.