Weak Windscreen?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Has anyone had any experience of cracks appearing on the windscreen without any appearing impact damage? I placed a suction cup for a small rear facing mirror and the screen has cracked! This seems like a fault to me as a nearly new car should not do this.

Will try and post a photo. Anyone had any joy out of Nissan UK ref similar situation?

Cheers

IMG_20160811_121233.jpg

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I went out one morning and found mine mysteriously cracked from the edge of the screen, under the edging, and there was no visible point of impact. The car was 9 months old and had just passed 5000 miles.

IMAG1930.jpg

Replacement fitter said they have been doing a lot of QQs and as there were several different windscreen types they had to be careful to turn up with the right one.

I've never had to replace a windscreen on a car before, and I've only ever had used cars before this one, so it does seem that the screen is on the weak side.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Many thanks for the info hound, will see what I can achieve through Nisaan...prob not much
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I suspect independent examinations would be required with the inconvenience and expense that would involve...though it may help to bring it to Nissan's attention how many QQ's are needing replacement windscreens. Hope you can reach a satisfactory outcome!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Could be an iffy batch of screens?

Discuss with your dealer who sold you the car and they will inspect and send a report to Nissan. However usually difficult to prove, what you need to look for is any sort or mark which suggests its been hit. If there is no impact mark and its just a straight crack than that will add weight to your claim.

If there is an impact mark on, or close to the crack, I would just go through your insurance and save yourself a while heap of bother.
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Got it booked in next week for local dealer to assess, the screen is mint and doesn't have a mark on it so hopefully I'll be successful, the crack is making it's way to the camera/sensor area on the screen now!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Once the glass brakes, it can carry on fracturing quite easily unless there is something in the way to stop it, or a force is removed.

Don't forget that windscreens have a big job to do and help stiffen up the upper part of the car.

I remember when I cracked the screen in the 200sx, whilst jacking it up I was able to watch the crack grow as extra twisting force was being applied to the chassis.
frootie-baby

Post by frootie-baby »

Picked up my 3 year old (14 plate) QQ 3 weeks ago, and just noticed what I would describe as a significant stress crack in the windscreen. There is no impact mark anywhere, but as the crack is covered by the wiper blades when they aren't on, and externally is below the level of the dashboard (so you can't see it at all from inside the car), I guess it didn't get noticed when I bought it. The trim that holds it is also distorted and popped out of place - and tellingly has a bit of algae in the 'gutter' indicating the crack had been there a while. I don't think it's impact though, as it looks like the crack is inside the glass if that makes sense - it's smooth to the touch externally with no external chipping or bashes. Quite odd. Thankfully the dealership agreed to replace this as a good will gesture, but it's a pain. Then this morning the car wouldn't start. Feeling pretty disappointed right now, to be honest. :cry:

screen closeup.jpg

cracked screen misfitting trim.jpg

1.2 petrol Tekna, Ink blue '14 plate :)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Today my windscreen has cracked all on its own after parking up at the gym and upon returning after about an hour. You can clearly see the area of damage on the chequered pattern that blocks out sunlight. There is no cracking on the external laminate, only on the inside where it looks like something hit it. My dashcam has a recording the car stopping with no crack and then getting into the car the crack is very evident. The car was locked & no one gained entry that we can tell. If I had not seen this damage with my own eyes I would assume somthing had hit the screen from the outside.

Has anyone else had the screen crack on its own from this area?

To reiterate, only the inside layer of glass is cracked.

20190708_204308.jpg

20190708_204421.jpg

20190708_204332.jpg

Summerjunk wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:53 am Has anyone had any experience of cracks appearing on the windscreen without any appearing impact damage? I placed a suction cup for a small rear facing mirror and the screen has cracked! This seems like a fault to me as a nearly new car should not do this.

Will try and post a photo. Anyone had any joy out of Nissan UK ref similar situation?

Cheers
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, read your problem out to the wife this morning and she mentioned could it be a temperature problem, hot day, blower on cold air etc. The wife then looked in an ADAC (RAC/) Report and a guy mentioned a similiar happening on a VW Passat with a Camera System similiar to the QQ. His cracks generated from around the Mirror / Camera internally and he measured the temperature in this area and found it to be 65*C and his opinion was on a motorway it could be as high as 100*C. Just a few suggestions which might help.
I also took a look on the web and found some articles which might be worth a read - Dave 🤨

My Windshield Cracked For No Reason : https://www.mrgoglass.com/2017/12/04/wi ... d-cracked/

Common Windshield Crack Types: Stress, Ding, Chip : http://www.carwindshields.info/windshield-crack-types

Five common causes of windscreen damage : https://www.autoglass.ie/five-common-ca ... en-damage/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken