Cable Sleve Covering

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Dtwo

Post by Dtwo »

My wife purchase a new QQ a couple of months back and last week she started up as normal and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Although it started ok, there was a scrolling message displaying various system faults, in addition, several warning lights remained on, low tyre pressure, abs etc. So I booked it in for fiirst thing Next morning and left it with Nissan. Later in the morning my wife received a txt and a short video showing the off side rear abs cable was damaged. New abs cable needed, ordered and fitted next day, when I picked up the car, I asked how a cable on a new car could have been damaged and was told it looked like it has been chewed by an animal! I was a bit sceptical about this, but took it on the chin and drove the car home, no problems, except pocket is lighter by £135.

However, next morning wife starts QQ, same problem, warnings lights and system errors. This time I crawled under the car to check the new abs cable, this time it had been chewed right through! Looks like Nissan were right about the animal. Rang up Nissan, booked car in for the next morning and was told they would change the cable while I waited. This time Nissan only charged me £87 as a good will gesture.

While waiting for the second cable, I did some googling, turns out that cables being eaten in cars is not uncommon and that some of the sleeves are made of green materials including soya on some makes. There are a number of products that can be sprayed on the cables that are suppose to make them less attractive to animals, one of which is Grease, To help combat a reoccurrence, I asked Nissan to smear the cables where possible, I purchased a snake cable protectors on the way home and coiled these around the abs cables and applied more grease. I have also taken to putting garden netting under the car at night and moved an animal scarer from the back garden near to the car. I think the offender is a fox as my neighbors say they have had their internet cables chewed.

We have lived in the house for 30 years in a semi-rural area and not experienced cables on cars being chewed, except on the QQ. The car is parked on our driveway and I park my car (2016 X1) beside the QQ.

My question is; has anyone else has this on a new QQ or have any knowledge of the material used for cable sheaving on QQ's?
2016 Qashqai 1.2 cvt pano roof mag red

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Dtwo, out here there are always problems with the animal called a Marder (Marten) which as you mentioned has a habit of chewing cables which can be drastic. We have had one under our bonnet but no damage was found just a few bones, but the neighbours have had problems with their more expensive Audi's & MB's :D
There are a few tips mentioned in the writeup below, most effective seems to be the electrical way - Dave :)

http://www.living-in-germany.net/your-c ... he-marten/

IMG_1595.PNG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
switchback

Post by switchback »

Sounds the same as this...........................

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4402&p=40786&hilit=cable#p40786
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Dtwo

Post by Dtwo »

Thanks guy's for your answers, as mentioned, I have taken some of the recommended precautions with an ultrasound scarer, some netting, snake Sleve and grease. So far so good. Also called out a pest controller.

What I am annoyed about (apart from spending cash), is the the o/s rear abs cable is exposed and hangs down, I would have thought this would have been fixed or secured more closely to the underside in some way. Apart from making it an easy target for animals, these is a risk of this catching and breaking.
Cheers
2016 Qashqai 1.2 cvt pano roof mag red
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

I also suffered this - see my post 'System faults after 3 week holiday'.
Very interested to read about the attractiveness of these cables to animals - I guess I should add some grease...

I've still not managed to source a Nissan connector to repair the main car wiring loom :-(
I've tried many breakers to no avail.

Does anyone have access to a damaged Qashqai J11??
2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jerry1, have you given this place a try http://www.parts.loc8apart.co.uk - Dave ;)

IMG_1605.PNG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Jerry1

Post by Jerry1 »

Yes, I've tried that site - it only seems to link me to ebay ads and I've been searching ebay and contacting sellers for months.
I literally need a 6" piece of cable with the two pin connector that mates with the ABS sensor cable.
2015 Tekna 1.6dCi in Pearl Black (plus Brink/Thule detachable towbar)
Broonie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Broonie »

I have the same issue, don’t suppose you found the connector eventually jerry1?
:D
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

RH02FB is the connector name
Quexpo82
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Quexpo82 »

It is a design fault with Nissan Qashqai of what they use to make the cables for the wheel speed sensors with.

Foxes have chewed through ours 3 times now and twice in 2 months. They’ve also done next doors quasqai in same period.

We have to put wooden pallets underneath the car every every night. This is a pain. They have plastic spikes on them but even this doesn’t give the car 100% protection.

I have video footage of them doing this.

It costs for £200 each time for the garage to repair. 8 times this has happened to residents cars in 2022. Total effing joke. Some loon of a neighbour feeds the foxes. It’s a living hell.

Also, foxes tend to go for vehicles parked on driveways. If you park in the road or over a kerb, they tend to leave car along. The flashing red preditor and high frequency noise emitting devices are useless. Having the mechanic apply grease to the cabling had little affect. This time we’ve got him to apply silver duck tape. Might deter the foxes and also apparently they don’t like silver.