Radio auto on/off

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

calnorth I've turned off after it happened yesterday 'auto turn up volume with vehicle speed' so will see if that fixes it.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Geordieman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:37 am calnorth I've turned off after it happened yesterday 'auto turn up volume with vehicle speed' so will see if that fixes it.
Not expecting it to really.
Importantly the ON/OFF switch is a press button (contactor thing) which means in your case that its being skirted. Thats one method of powering the headunit and I would expect to be the master control. I see a number of power inputs or triggers to the headunit from the ignition switch + battery...about 4. One of them I think is ACC which provides power when the engine is OFF. There are many others including IPDM and ECU....which complicate things and possibly not relevant?

I only have a diagnostic block schematic for the AV system...so headunit internals are anybody's guess.

If the Power button is OFF and the unit suddenly self switches ON I'd have to say the headunit is faulty. For me it would be a case of seeing what was physically wrong with that switch. Its a bit fishy...power and volume on the same physical control.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

The radio is still coming on randomly, sometimes twice on a journey. Today I noticed that if it is off by the centre press button and I then turn the outer volume ring on the knob it goes on. Can someone check their radio to see if it goes on by turning the outer ring only please?
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Arry

Post by Arry »

If it’s 2020 it’s under warranty get them to change head unit !
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

I intend to have it checked as it is under warranty but my question was for someone to check their radio to see if it is a fault.
Arry

Post by Arry »

If it helps ,,, Mine 1.6 petrol 2017 Nconnect radio only comes on if I push centre or push “Radio” just turning volume outer does nothing .
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

Arry. Thanks that is what I wanted confirming. Mine is definitely a faulty unit.
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

Now that I have a possible explanation for the fault in the car radio volume control can I ask the Forum what it will involve having it fixed? Will it mean replacing the whole of the radio unit? If so what sort of time would it take at the Dealer?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Geordieman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:40 am Now that I have a possible explanation for the fault in the car radio volume control can I ask the Forum what it will involve having it fixed? Will it mean replacing the whole of the radio unit? If so what sort of time would it take at the Dealer?
The item you suspect is a Digital Volume Control (calibrated clicks) and unlikely to be available anywhere. It incorporates the ON/OFF press button.

The dealers can't fix that unit and will ship to France for repair...posts on this site show many, many months of delay. Now add Covid as required. A replacement unit from the dealer is a massive expense anyway.

There maybe a 2nd hand unit on eBay (scrappies) which when fitted will need electronically registering (security) with the car...dealer simple job really.... :roll:
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Geordieman

Post by Geordieman »

Just as I thought. Will have to leave the volume set to low and leave it for now, thanks calnorth