Diesel cars - Govt change of direction

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
tophat57
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by tophat57 »

As usual, government policy is shaped by the media and the need to secure funds through taxation. For years petrol was the only way forward for passenger vehicles. Then the smaller and more efficient diesels came along, and then became the saviour of humanity. Offering reduced costs of fuel (due to governments wanting to push people into diesels), and better economy. Then as time has gone by, the price differential has switched, and diesel fuel is now more expensive, and provides a greater revenue to the treasury. In the mean time, the media pushes an agenda of fear and scaremongering in global warming and pollution. Which whilst this is valid, is fed to consumers in a way that is designed to instill fear and guilt. Fear for the future of our planet (and rightly so, we only have the one), and guilt that we are the ones solely responsible. These combine with the government approach to have us searching for the next thing to try to absolve our guilt. Our guilt in needing to get to work, or to do the shopping, or take the kids out, or any number of other things that we do day to day.

And then we come to electric vehicles. These are mediocre at best. The technology for the battery packs is no where near mature enough to make them practical for anything other than mainly local journeys, with the occasional longer distance trip, when longer stops can be planned for charging. And let's not forget where that electricity comes from. From fossil fuel power stations. And until fusion power can finally be harnessed properly, that is the way it will stay. Renewables are a contributor to the grid, but cannot be relied on for the charging required. And on that point, we as a nation live very closely to the limit of total production capacity. That is to say that of all the generating capacity that we have available in the UK, we are constantly on the verge of a capacity overload, or a shortfall in the amount of electricity to fuel our lives at this point in our time. So what if we all jumped straight into the electric revolution and all had one. Where does all that extra power come from? The simple answer is that it can't be done. And no one really wants a nuclear power station in every city, town, and village to produce that power.

And then there's the small print with those batteries. Most if not all are a lease from their manufacturer, or something similar. Meaning that there is an additional cost that is required to be paid, usually monthly, for the use of their battery pack in your vehicle. Combined with the fact that these holy grail fast charging stations reduce the lifespan of batteries considerably. So you can expect to have the batteries replaced more often to compensate for this minor inconvenience.

Now I'll be open about my comments, I'm no tree hugger, far from it. I've been in the oil and gas business for a LONG tiime, so have a good idea of where fossil fuels are going and how quickly. That does not mean that I am anti renewables or against electric cars per se, but I am realistic about the current possibilities and the realities of their current applications. I'm also not a conspiracy nutter. I'm not into 9/11 theories, the JFK fantasy or little green men. But from my perspective there seems to be a constantly shifting goal for our government (current and previous), which consists of trying to scare us into a position of guilt and then offering a solution that, will inevitably, lead us to the next position of guilt. All the while slowly increasing to cost of that plant saving philosophy slowly and quietly.

Some may agree and some won't, but If it's a reason to pause for thought, I hope you'll reach you own conclusions.
Facelift J11b N-connecta 1.6 x-tonic in vivid blue. And a dual accelerator for my dodgy foot..........

dafman

Post by dafman »

Well said Tophat57 am 100% with you on that one.
2014 QQ J11 pearl black 1.5dci accenta premium
2018 QQ J11B magnetic red 1.2dig-t n connecta
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Nissan stopped leasing batteries separately from the cars a couple of years ago. Far too complex when the car was traded in and resold.
I am looking forward very much to electric cars. The new Leaf looks very promising and may be an ideal local-journey and city car. Possibly a second car for many people, mainly those with parking in a drive or garage by their house or even office.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

tophat57 said it all really, but might I add to his comments about the big push for electric vehicles.
I’m intrigued to know the main reason why one would purchase an electric vehicle? If it’s because you think you are helping to save the planet then you are mistaken. As already well covered by tophat57 that the energy from renewables would never be enough to power them all, what about the batteries in these vehicles and the damage they cause in the way they are produced and how they are disposed of?
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
Deleted User 1571

I welcome electric cars. Maximum torque from zero revs and silent running, plus zero gearboxes and no regular garage oil changes and much reduced servicing generally, has a whole lot going for it.
We are at the dawn of a new era where fossil fuel use and reliance on unstable producer countries will be much reduced. There’s no turning back and much development and preparation to do over the next twenty to thirty years.
MrRed

Post by MrRed »

There is also the issue of....How do you charge your car overnight when you live in a couple of hundred yards of terraces houses with no driveway. Maybe clandestine plugging into the street light. If not the neighbours would have to take up skipping lessons with all of the wires trailing across the pavement?

The other issue is that matter can neither be created nor destroyed so the pollution will still be out there.
1.5 Dci Acenta Premium, Magnetic Red, Towbar and 7 Pin Electrics, Spare Wheel, ALA Gap Insurance, Poor out of date expensive £109 Maps from Nissan
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mr.Red, I had the same conversation again yesterday with our Sales Guy on the new Leaf. He is going to Barcelona soon for a Nissan Training Seminar on the new Product and we discussed just what you have mentioned. They have now just installed two new charging points at the Dealership (20 Kms away) there is also another one 5 Kms away. I told him it is great you are selling E-Cars successfully but how does the “Normal” person as you mentioned who lives in a Terraced House or a High Raise Appt. charge his car, throw a cable out of the window ! - No comment. Or do I have to drive to the Charging Point, cycle home and do the reverse the next day, naturally people with Detached Properties can instal Charging Points but for the general public a solution still needs implementing although things are happening - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 1571

DaveBerlin wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:00 am Mr.Red, I had the same conversation again yesterday with our Sales Guy on the new Leaf. He is going to Barcelona soon for a Nissan Training Seminar on the new Product and we discussed just what you have mentioned. They have now just installed two new charging points at the Dealership (20 Kms away) there is also another one 5 Kms away. I told him it is great you are selling E-Cars successfully but how does the “Normal” person as you mentioned who lives in a Terraced House or a High Raise Appt. charge his car, throw a cable out of the window ! - No comment. Or do I have to drive to the Charging Point, cycle home and do the reverse the next day, naturally people with Detached Properties can instal Charging Points but for the general public a solution still needs implementing although things are happening - Dave :)
Simple. You buy a non-plug-in hybrid. Pure electric cars only suit a proportion of people. If it doesn’t suit you, don’t worry about it and buy what does. ‘‘Tis not rocket-science.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Quacker, it is simple and have done it, funny you should mention this as there are not that many Hybrids around at present. But I have already dug in as one of the Family here has ordered a Lexus SUV and I took a look at it at the Dealer over Xmas, a Lexus NX-300h E-Four Launch Model. I checked with Lexus Berlin and then in the South of Germany and was offered €6000 off. Here are a couple of pics of a Sport in the Showroom and a Video if interested - Dave :D

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/nx/#hero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMX6m9q5jTY
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

I think this article brings to light the problems now of purchasing E-Cars (Charging) - Dave

In many streets there are not many owners of an electric car - because there are no driveways on which to charge them. It is the big cities which are mostly affected by the lack of driveways, and which have a high proportion of flat-dwellers. But it is precisely these areas where electric cars are an effective means to reduce pollution.
Nearly a third of car-owners in the UK have no off-street parking, as they live in an apartment or flat. One option is to ask your local authority to install a charge point in your street. The government's Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) has set aside £4.5m to support such applications over the next two years. OLEV will pay up to 75% of the costs of installation, to a maximum of £7,500. That leaves councils having to find just 25% of the costs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42944523