Diesel cars - Govt change of direction

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
crewmeal

Post by crewmeal »

Recent comments by the government regarding diesel vehicles is worrying especially if you've recently purchased one. Does this mean depreciation of my 2015 Qashqai 1.6dci will drop through the floor? Also it seems various councils are planning their own diesel charges when driving into their city. Yet again an example of stupid politicians who one minute say diesels are the best for the environment, now they say not.

AFAIC the 1.2 petrol version doesn't do it for me. It lacks the performance and power of the 1.6.
Unsure which Red - 2015 1.6dci - N-Tec + usual extras including panoramic sun roof.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

You should have no need to worry as your car is Euro6 compliant.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/diesel-ca ... uk-drivers

"The diesel charges announced so far don't affect all vehicles. The most recent diesels, which were registered since September 2015 and have cleaner engines, will avoid some charges. Drivers of these cars won't have to pay more than petrol car owners to drive them in London.

Those with older vehicles won't be so lucky. London's Mayor has announced that diesel charges to drive in the capital will be introduced sooner than expected. Owners with older diesel cars will have to pay £21.50 to use their car in the centre of the capital when the T-Charge begins. From 2019, that will go up to £24 a day, and will also apply to newer cars - some which are currently less than three years old."
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
David Soren
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by David Soren »

You got exactly the right point, politicians and the media control it all. You can't be so sure which one is correct. Cause which ever news got more media cover, automatically becomes the truth. One minute petrol is poison and diesel is a friend, other minute diesel is the most alarming threat in the world even larger than global warming and all.

When I first read this https://motorway.co.uk/guides/diesel-car-toxin-tax
I was so afraid about my future and my family's future. Where is this earth is heading? But now, doubts started to grow in my mind.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I feel for you. The anti-diesel rhetoric spooked me and after many years of owning diesels I plumped for a 1.6 petrol with my new N-Connecta. What bugs me is all the talk of switching to electric. We've been told time and time again that we must conserve energy, so where is all the electricity going to come from for these new electric marvels? Build more power stations? I'll be happy with my petrol engine - until someone in power decides petrol motors are crap, too. I'm not holding my breath.
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK
brookie

Post by brookie »

The prob is that even if the diesel engines are cleaner, the reputation is damaged and I have to think of resale/depreciation.
TerryH wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:24 pm I feel for you. The anti-diesel rhetoric spooked me and after many years of owning diesels I plumped for a 1.6 petrol with my new N-Connecta.
Did you test drive both 1.2 and 1.6? I am having trouble finding a 1.6 to test drive, but it looks like a good option. More expensive obviously, but economy pretty similar. Is the 1.6 a newer design?
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Yes, I drove the 1.2, which was OK but lacked something for me, which was why I plumped for the 1.6. Considerably more oomph, not least on long drags and in acceleration. After I'd ordered the car three separate salesman at the dealership each told me privately that I did right to go for the 1.6 as it was the better choice. They always plump for 1.6 test cars for themselves if they can, they said. As for economy, I got 61.2mpg on a 25-mile motorway run the other day, which I consider brilliant. Nowhere near that in town, of course. Seems easy to get nearly 50mpg out of town with no problem. I've only done 850 miles so far, so I anticipate things should improve further. Yes, my 1.6 is the new facelifted version. Very, very pleased with it. The 1.6 costs a little bit more but well worth it, I reckon. I'd much rather have the bigger engine than a 'glass' roof or leather seats, neither of which I"m a fan of. If you thought the 1.2 was OK, I am sure you will be even more pleased with the 1.6. Go for it!
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:30 pm The debate rumbles on.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42666596
Yes, there's a huge amount of hype, much of It mistakenly aimed against diesel cars. If you compare the permitted levels in the latest current Euro6 standards, there is very little difference between petrol and diesel. As the article mentions, as petrol engines become more economical, with direct injection and so on, their particulate emissions can exceed that of most modern diesels which are all fitted with particulate filters. Filters which are indeed impressively effective. I can wipe my fingers around the inside of the diesel Qashqai's exhaust tip and it is very clean indeed. Like new in fact. Indistinguishable from a petrol car's.

Yes NOx emissions can exceed the lab figures in real conditions, but that is missing the point, which is that NOx emissions have always done so and that what really matters is that each successive regulatory generation of engines produces significantly less pollution than the last, both in the lab and on the road. That way the national, and indeed the international fleet of cars on the road produce less emissions each year as the older, more polluting models, are scrapped at the end of their economic life cycle. The more newer cars on the roads in proportion to older ones, the cleaner the aggregate of all exhaust emissions becomes. That is true for both petrol and Diesel engines.