Service today on 3 yr.old QQ.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

Minor service carried out today by local main dealer. Car now 3yrs. and 3 months old, will very small mileage, 25,000 km ( 15,625 miles approx )
Car is 1.5 diesel.

Dealers say Nissan recommend changing brake fluid and coolant, but I passed on this , readers will probably disagree with my decision.

Dealers e-mailed me a short video of the underside of the car, commenting on tyre depth, state of suspension etc. Probably a good customer relations idea.

I am very likely to receive adverse comments on the low mileage use on a diesel car.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I thought coolant and brake fluid was a 2 year thing not 3..... however I have 'got away' with it for much longer in previous cars (although does not make it right!!)

Brake fluid is quite critical to performance of the brakes as it can absorb moisture. This can make the brakes feel spongy, as well as cause brake fade if you are using your brakes heavily. In addition, let it go too far beyond its normal service life and you run the risk of corrosion of the brake system from the inside out.

Saying that about trying to keep on top of swapping out things when its come up fro service life, I need to swap the spark plugs on my Micra which have gone 5000 miles beyond their suggested service life.... !!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

No adverse comments at all about the low mileage for a diesel from me. The car manages the state of the dpf by itself. Too many people are worrying about nothing. Old dpf's presented problems, but Nissan really do seem to overcome those problems on newer vehicles. Ok, so you will have paid more initially for your diesel car, but if you intend on keeping it for a decade or so then it will easily pay its way. Take any negative comments with a pinch of salt.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

IIRC the issue with brake fluid is that it is hygroscopic and clearly that could cause a significant problem
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Yes, brake fluid is hygroscopic.

What u need to think about is how water is going to get into a correctly working brake system. The only way is through the vent on the reservoir, past a diaphram, drop down past the master cylinder & only then if it gets near the calliper will it be subjected to heat. This would be almost impossible in a servicable unit. I've had cars over 10 years old that have performed perfectly on the original brake fluid.

Essentially, on a correctly operating brake system you should not need to change the brake fluid unless the car is used for activities that go beyond driving the car on a road, driving outside the law or other extreme situations.

Changing brake fluid is a money maker for the garage such as charging for topping up washer fluid, charging wheels/ tyres with nitrogen and adding an air freshener.

MikeGC wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 pm IIRC the issue with brake fluid is that it is hygroscopic and clearly that could cause a significant problem
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

According to our Nissan Service Book the Brake Fluid Change recommendation is every 24 months or 40,000 kms. We had this Service carried out on our QQ last August and this included the Brake Fluid Change, cost was as folllows :
Brake Fluid Change (Labour) = €27,96 & Brake Fluid €11,76 so a total of €39,72 (£34) which to me ain't that expensive - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Don't forget brake fluid is also the clutch fluid on a QQ. We've heard about the affects on brakes (sponginess), but not sure what it would do to the clutch.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I would hazard a guess that the brake fluid reservoir cap isn't and can never be an air/water vapour tight fit. Therefore, over time, water vapour Will be absorbed by the brake fluid. Whether that is in sufficiently significant amounts to cause a problem is another matter and a subject for Ines own conscience
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
StewartP

Post by StewartP »

I see others have already touched on possible issues,including internal corrosion which if it caused problems with the ABS unit would be less than cheap....not suggesting going a year or two past recommended interval will automatically mean some sort of catastrophe but from changing bike brake fluid even at only two years I've been surprised how much darker-due to moisture loading- the old fluid has been relative to the new stuff.

Purely personal but tyres and brakes have always been the two areas I prefer to use precautionary principle on, I suppose though one mans caution is anothers over reaction !
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
CJS

Post by CJS »

Well done for being courageous here. I am sure many fluids are changed needlessly these days putting increased burden on our pockets and on production and disposal systems. It must be said though that moisture absorption depends on so many factors not just mileage so for your own peace of mind why not have the fluid tested. Check out brake fluid testers on YouTube.
Qashqai J11 1.6D Tekna automatic