Recall and air con issues

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
zenthi

Post by zenthi »

Hi everyone

First time poster and Nissan owner, so please bear with me. I have read a couple of the other forum pages on here and they were really helpful but I thought I would start a new post to see if anyone had some updates.

I have taken my Nissan 1.2 Acenta Premium 2014 in to Nissan a couple of times last year and one of them was related to the air con as it kept cutting out after a while. I was basically told that the Condenser is TOO efficient and that once it gets to a certain temperature it cuts out as it can't go any lower and to stop any freezing occuring. Now I don't really know much about cars I took that answer as correct and off I went.

Today however the air con is no longer getting cold and I have noticed quite a loud wooshing/hissing noise as the car starts and it then continues for quite a while after you start driving. I now wonder if I have the dreaded leaking compressor issue that I keep reading about. I took it to local garage to get it re-gassed as I thought that might be the problem considering it is almost 3 years old, however they told me it takes the new type of gas which they couldn't do at the garage and that also they wouldn't have thought it would need gassing yet as that new type of gas is meant to run much longer (90k miles I was told!).

I also got a letter a couple of days ago about a brake hose defect, so I need to take the car in to my local Nissan garage and so I think I will get them to check the air con out as well. Do you guys think it could be the leaky compressor issue I am describing? If so is there still a massive backlog for the orders of the compressors and will this be under warranty considering mine runs out in June?

Any help any of you have would be grateful, I just want to head in to the Nissan garage armed with all the facts so I can get it sorted properly and make any claims or complaints if needs be.

1.2 Qashqai Acenta Premium 2014 model (July) || Bought in April 2015, 2nd hand from Nissan dealership

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Get booked in asap. If it is the condenser and it needs replacing, it should be replaced even beyond the warrant period as long as the job is authorised before the warrant expiry date.
smartn

Post by smartn »

My Qashqai (2015 Tekna 1.5Dci) has been in to Nissan today for two problems.

1) Glove Box rattle. This issue is ongoing and not resolved, the latest 'fix' appears to have been to stick a bit of foam padding on the glovebox lid.

2) Air con no longer producing cold air. The problem has been resolved however they charged me £120 for a re-gas on a car that is under 2 years old. I'm sure there is something more wrong with it and will have to wait and see.

In addition to a breakdown due to a faulty battery I am now sick and tired of Nissan and the dealers. It's not a cheap car but the quality and the support are atrocious. Shame, as I had a new Primera and my father has owned an Almera, both very reliable. Nissan - NOT IMPRESSED.

Qashqai foam.jpg

beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Yeah my used QQ (1 year old) I bought last week, I found a number of bodywork issues after collecting. So much for the "Cared4" ethos. Citroen was so helpful when I had problems or needed help.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
zenthi

Post by zenthi »

So I took my Qashqai in to Nissan for the recall and for them to look at the air con. Recall wasn't a problem and that was done without a hitch. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the air con that they could see and that it probably needed a re-gas. My partner and I agued the toss with Nissan for quite some time that it should not need a re-gas after almost 3 years and that they couldn't check the air con properly without putting in a dye to see if here was a leak. So basically all the did was look at the compressor (which was fine apparently) and the pipes to see if there were any visible cracks.

So we have booked it in tomorrow for them to do 1st MOT and then re-gas with dye so that the air con system can be checked fully. I shall have to see how we get on as we have an email saying they will do this under warranty but I guarantee they will try and back track on this when I get in tomorrow.

However I just got a call from another Nissan branch (the one it was serviced at before - we recently moved so its booked in at another one for tomorrow) and they have just told me it has another recall!! I haven't had a letter about it, but this one is for the Engine Control Module! She couldn't give me any more details as she didn't have them to hand. Has anyone else had a recall for this? We have a 14 plate Qashqai 1.2 Acenta Premium.
1.2 Qashqai Acenta Premium 2014 model (July) || Bought in April 2015, 2nd hand from Nissan dealership
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Zenthi, be careful with this Re-Gassing if they charge you it will cost a bomb. If you still have a Guarantee as gvmdaddy has mentioned and there is a fault then it should not be charged. I have paid nothing here for the checks, re-gassing and a New Condenser.
With regard to the so called "Recalls" there are the official Government ones like the DVLA & KBA in Germany and then there are the Nissan ones. Here Nissan have to inform the DBA who then inform the present owner.
I think you will find information on the "Recalls" if you enter for example "Nissan Recalls" in the Forum "Search" Area, there is a lot of reading there - Dave ;)
These are just the examples of the DVLA & KBA (in German) :

IMG_2060.PNG

IMG_2061.PNG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Iandee

Post by Iandee »

zenthi wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:05 pm So I took my Qashqai in to Nissan for the recall and for them to look at the air con. Recall wasn't a problem and that was done without a hitch. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the air con that they could see and that it probably needed a re-gas. My partner and I agued the toss with Nissan for quite some time that it should not need a re-gas after almost 3 years and that they couldn't check the air con properly without putting in a dye to see if here was a leak. So basically all the did was look at the compressor (which was fine apparently) and the pipes to see if there were any visible cracks.

So we have booked it in tomorrow for them to do 1st MOT and then re-gas with dye so that the air con system can be checked fully. I shall have to see how we get on as we have an email saying they will do this under warranty but I guarantee they will try and back track on this when I get in tomorrow.

However I just got a call from another Nissan branch (the one it was serviced at before - we recently moved so its booked in at another one for tomorrow) and they have just told me it has another recall!! I haven't had a letter about it, but this one is for the Engine Control Module! She couldn't give me any more details as she didn't have them to hand. Has anyone else had a recall for this? We have a 14 plate Qashqai 1.2 Acenta Premium.
I had a few things done under warranty, including the new air con.condenser. The only official recall letter I had direct from Nissan was the bracket problem re a hose. This was done on the second service and when I produced the letter they just said that they knew about it and i dint need to give them the letter. I have not had a letter nor heard that there is an official recall re the Engine Control Module; we seem to have a car produced about the same time.
Ian Dee
1.2 petrol manual Acenta Premium Dig-T Reg May 2014, Magnetic Red. bought Feb 2015.
zenthi

Post by zenthi »

So I gave the Nissan branch I'm going to tomorrow a call about this supposed Engine Control Module recall as I couldn't find any information about it on any of the websites. Turns out it's not a recall it's a software upgrade. I wouldn't have got a letter because it's not a safety matter it's just to get better engine management and it turns out they had already done it when it went in for the recall for the brake hose. So that was nothing to worry about although I wish they had told me they had done it and also the other branch shouldn't have said it was a recall when it wasn't! Right now to get this air con sorted! I shall certainly be aiming to get it all done under warranty because there is no way that gas should have run out and I won't be leaving until they've done a proper check for cracks leaks and anything else I can think of!
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I know its a bit naughty, but why don't u carefully slacken off 1 of the air con pipes so there is definitely a leak. Have to be careful so they cant see new marks on any nut etc. But u will know for sure you wont pick up the tab.
zenthi wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:05 pm So I took my Qashqai in to Nissan for the recall and for them to look at the air con. Recall wasn't a problem and that was done without a hitch. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the air con that they could see and that it probably needed a re-gas. My partner and I agued the toss with Nissan for quite some time that it should not need a re-gas after almost 3 years and that they couldn't check the air con properly without putting in a dye to see if here was a leak. So basically all the did was look at the compressor (which was fine apparently) and the pipes to see if there were any visible cracks.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

What I have found is that I have to sign a document when either a Service (I get a copy with the Bill) or a Guarantee / Upgrade / Recall is done but I never receive a copy of this document. What I do is to note the work and stick it in the Service Book. Is this the same with you ? - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken