New Car Day!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Hi guys,

Will be swapping my 2012 Qashqai 1.5dCi Tekna for a 2016 Tekna 1.5dCi tomorrow, really looking forward to it, I didn't intend on going for another Tekna model due to the 19" wheels. I've found they made the ride on my current (J10) Tekna far too hard and bumpy and although the facelift models offer a much greater comfort they are still firmer than I would ideally like.

I actually went looking for an N Connecta model but the dealer also had a Tekna model there for just a few hundred more and was won over (again!) by the leather seats and extra goodies! I did test drive both cars and there is a noticeable difference in ride between the two models even though the connecta model has 18" wheels?

I hope this won't spoil my enjoyment of the new Qashqai, does anyone else have any views on the firm ride with 19" wheels? Do you think it's worth asking them if I can swap the wheels if I'm not happy with it, I've already voiced my concerns to the dealer over the issue.

Thanks.
J11-2016 Tekna 1.5dCi Bronze Metallic

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

No problem with mine; it could be down to different brand tyres more than that 1";
you could always try lowering by couple of pounds if it's an issue.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Hi Gel,

The cars I tried are both fairly low mileage (7,500 and 12,000 miles respectively) and are fitted with the original Continental tyres.
Bullyboy

Post by Bullyboy »

Good luck with pick up hope you enjoy it
All the best
Paul
NOW- Mini Clubman Cooper S ---- WAS a 16 plate Tekna 1.6 dig-t in Gunmetal with Pano Roof
Pure RedQ

Post by Pure RedQ »

I find the ride on my 19" inch on my Tekna a little firm especially on the potted poorly kept roads in some parts of London. In saying that, although firm, the ride is very smooth and bumps are absorbed extremely well. I try to stick to the right tyre pressures according to load, etc, as per Nissan and tyre manufacturers guidelines which I think helps in terms of ride quality. There is some leeway in terms of tyre pressure combination front and rear so it might be worth experimenting within specified parameters of course. Enjoy your Tekna. Good choice!
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Cheers guys.

Yeah, it's narking me a bit as I said I wouldn't go for a car with 19's again, not just for their firm ride but also their longevity and cost of replacement. The N Connecta I tried (which I think has 18's?) was noticeably more comfortable over poor road surfaces when I test drove both cars and the salesman agreed with me.

What the salesman also pointed out (and it's a fair point), is that it won't be just the tyres it's the seats as well. :o The cloth seats of the N Connecta model will give a bit more and let you sink into the sponge of the seats, whereas the leather seats of the Tekna model is a more rigid material and won't give as much so will not absorb the bumps as easy?

I don't know whether this is true, it sort of makes some sense?
Pure RedQ

Post by Pure RedQ »

My only doubt about the Tekna was the 19" wheels but it wasn't a deal breaker in the end. I do take the point about a firmer ride but I think it's down to whether it becomes a real annoyance, which it hasn't with me. On the up side, on the motorway they feel great! The seat thing is a good point definitely but again I prefer the firmer kind of support (back issues) that these seats give. Plus never having leather before means it's a bit of a treat for me. On the ride quality side, none of the family or friends that have been on some long runs with me have voiced negative opinions so that tells you something.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

I think had I only test driven the Tekna it wouldn't be as big an issue as it is far more comfortable than my present J10 Tekna, it's only because I tried the N Connecta with smaller wheels that I noticed that there still is an issue there.

Yeah, I love leather seats but the wife doesn't so I was a bit surprised how up for this particular Tekna she was! I think it was probably the overall package, it really does look superb!

Picking it up this afternoon, can't wait! 8-)

I still might ask them if for any chance I'm not happy with the tyres whether they would swap them for those on the N Connecta.

What are your thoughts on road noise? It didn't seem too bad as I recall but my J10 was a bit loud on some road surfaces.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Pure RedQ wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 am I find the ride on my 19" inch on my Tekna a little firm especially on the potted poorly kept roads in some parts of London. In saying that, although firm, the ride is very smooth and bumps are absorbed extremely well. I try to stick to the right tyre pressures according to load, etc, as per Nissan and tyre manufacturers guidelines which I think helps in terms of ride quality. There is some leeway in terms of tyre pressure combination front and rear so it might be worth experimenting within specified parameters of course. Enjoy your Tekna. Good choice!
Thanks for the reply and advice.
Baker69

Post by Baker69 »

Bullyboy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:02 pm Good luck with pick up hope you enjoy it
Thanks Paul, looking forward to getting it this afternoon.