DMF clutch vs solid flywheel

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Bennymalta
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Bennymalta »

Hi i have recently purchased a 2007 qashqai with 1.5 dci engine. The gearbox and clutch needs to be replaced and my mechanic suggested a single mass flywheel clutch. I am not familiar with mechanical parts etc and i just did a few research online and some people say its good and some dont.

What is your opinion on this? Should i convert to single mass flywheel?

Thrall

Post by Thrall »

There are those who suggest that the DMF is essential to keep shockwaves to the gearbox to a minimum, otherwise excessive bearing wear may result. Some feel no difference when driving with a solid flywheel, others feel vibration and suggest that there is a good reason for DMFs. The jury is out methinks...
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Dual mass flywheels are prone to failure
Certainly was a feature that was not desirable in diesel RAV4s and was a regular complaint on the forum to which I belonged.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Anything with moving parts can suffer from failures. Cars have lots of moving parts but that wont stop you from buying one. Im sure the new dmf's are manufactured to higher standards to when they first introduced them. Dmf failures are not commonly reported on here, so stick with what was originally on the car.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Just like the Condenser for the air-con that has no moving parts & was made from plasticine! So if you have no moving parts, if its badly manufactured or made from poor materials or its not designed well then it can break / fail.

I would prefer a little more vibration when using the clutch, than have a Dual Mass Flywheel that are inherently more complicated and more likely to fail. Or just get an automatic. I will retract that, Nissan use a terrible auto box, maybe stick with a manual.
gvmdaddy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:26 am Anything with moving parts can suffer from failures. Cars have lots of moving parts but that wont stop you from buying one. Im sure the new dmf's are manufactured to higher standards to when they first introduced them. Dmf failures are not commonly reported on here, so stick with what was originally on the car.