Car wouldn't start

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I went to start the car yesterday and it was completely dead. I had been driving it on and off most of the day and had no problems. Only the door unlocks would work. I had the 'press clutch and start' display on the dash but that was all. Also the brake pedal felt very hard, it didn't depress as far as it normally does. I tried holding the fob against the start button but no joy. After faffing around for a few minutes I called the AA. After waiting for an hour (they were going to be 2 hours) I tried it again out of desperation. It started perfectly normally with no warning lights on the dash. It's been fine since. There was a momentary yellow flash on the screen of something like' Key not functioning' or it could have said 'recognised' it went very quickly and didn't reappear. Surely the fob can't be dead after 14 months? And if it's dead why does it work now?

I can't get it into Nissan for a check for another two weeks (not impressed by that!) as they 'are busy with new registrations' and said if it happens again just get the AA to tow it to them. Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence when I need the car for work. Anyone any ideas what it could be?
2016 1.6D Tekna in Storm White, chrome pack, mudflaps and glass roof.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Did you try the 2nd fob; did it work. :?:

Best to use Nissan breakdown service (RAC) as will then get logged on system;
if battery dodgy RAC can validate & replace- no need for dealer involvement.
Last edited by Gel on Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes both fobs work fine. Didn't have time to wait for RAC to come out (would have had to of course if car didn't start) Surely the battery wouldn't be dodgy after a year?
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

Similar problem last week posted about it here somewhere. Deffo battery by the sounds of it. RAC would have tested and found faulty no doubt. Mine was 16 months old.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

A good test for your battery is your stop start if it works ok then battery ok....I now use mine every few days.
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Stop start is fine. When you say you use it every few days what do you mean?
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Only let it work when I want it to...too many short runs for me ...had a mini countryman SD and I never used it .....most of my runs are 10 mins to 20mins so needs to heat up
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car