Interior lights not working, please help!!!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
andymanone
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andymanone »

Hi guys need some help please. Was changing interior bulbs over to leds on my 66plate qashqai. I managed to change the three main centre ones ok but then tried to do the ones above rear doors. Without even thinking and being pretty stupid I tried to pry the bulb out with whatever was to hand. Yep a screwdriver, what a complete idiot!! anyway a little pop and all was dark. Also the main headlights do not turn off now. I presume I’ve popped a fuse but don’t even know where to start looking, is it in the glove bow, under steering wheel or under bonnet?. Helping this idiot could get me out of the wife’s doghouse. Thanks in advance,Andy.

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

The interior fusebox is behind the glovebox, which you're best off removing for decent access. Open it and dislodge the check strap by pulling it to the right. slightly close the glovebox, and pull it firmly towards you to release it. Useful video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2dcz2od8F4

Once you can see the fuses, check for blown ones - I'd suggest fuse #8 (5A, ILL) and fuse #22 (10A, ROOM LAMP) should be the first suspects. Also look at fuse #27 (10A, BCM).

IMG_4514.jpg

Ignore the coloured dots, they are from a previous enquiry about a different issue.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
andymanone

Post by andymanone »

Thank you very much for the info. I don’t know why they don’t put some sort of fuse diagram in the handbook. Been stressing about this for hours so again a big thanks.
andymanone

Post by andymanone »

Also meant to ask if you would know anything about the headlight situation. Is there an actual off switch on the stalk as I’ve tried all positions and the lights are always on. The last turn down I thought would be off ?
Hound

Post by Hound »

The headlights are only on when the switch is set to the last two positions, "on" or "auto". But even with the switch at "off", the DRLs will be on while the engine is running. If the BCM (Body Control Module - the QQ's electrical "brain") is throwing a bit of a wobbler because of the short, the lights might not know when to turn themselves off. Once you find the fuse that went pop, you might consider disconnecting the battery for half an hour to see whether systems reset themselves.
Hound

Post by Hound »

The descriptions of some of the functions are a bit mysterious, but here's the QQ's fuse layout for the fuses behind the glovebox. As a guide, the 20A Blower fuse is bottom left when you peer into the murky depths.

QQ_Fuses.jpg

andymanone

Post by andymanone »

All done so a massive thanks for all the info. One last question if anyone can help please. Changed the front interior bulbs but having trouble with the rear and boot light. These take the festoon bulbs but I’m unsure how to get the bulbs out as they seem like sealed units. I know they aren’t but can’t figure out how to open them up to get access. I don’t want to be trying to pry bits off as I’m sure I will break something. I can’t see any obvious clips although there are some tiny screws in the clear plastic part. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Boot light on mine was a W5W mini wedge type, same as the three up in front. You remove the lamp assembly (with a non-conductive tool), then remove the lens - it has several plastic pawls. With the lamp assembly out and the connector dislodged, it's easy to see where the plastic pawls are on the legs of the lens. Release the clip on the large one first and the lamp body will easily detach from the lens.

bootlamp.jpg

I replaced the bulb with an LED panel after trimming the panel slightly to fit (the wire terminates in a connector similar to the one on the original glass wedge bulb).

trunk.jpg

The two rear map lights are slightly more fiddly. Once you've got one out by compressing the upper and lower metal retaining clips and unplugging (depress plug from above with screwdriver blade), there's that little screw you spotted. Undo it and release the four pawls along the lens edges and this will release the lens (use thumbnail or slim pry tool between lens and lamp body to "pop" each pawl). It's still not easy to get at the festoon bulb with fingers, so I improvised with a small screwdriver to spring one end out of the plastic contacts, and tweezers to persuade the replacement bulb back in place (it may fall out during your first attempts).

rearlamp.jpg

I fitted a COB type festoon which was a mm or two longer than the original bulb, so had to bend the ears back a bit. Clip lens back in place; the pawls are really enough to hold it in without the screw but replace that if you want. Make sure retaining clips still protrude beyond edge of body, attach connector and replace lamp assembly.

20171001_130505.jpg

Last edited by Hound on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Did you find the blown fuse then?
andymanone

Post by andymanone »

Wow guys!! Thanks for all the help here. The info supplied is great. Thanks for taking the time out to help this newbie.