Red Engine warning light!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
SMorleyQash
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by SMorleyQash »

Hi All,

New to the forum!

I have an 08 plate Qashqai and a few months back, while taking my lad to football when I turned the engine off after parking, I noticed the fan had kicked in! I thought after a few minutes it would cut out. after an hour on the field I came back to the fan still going, the battery flat and unable to do anything!

So I took advantage of my green flag, after waiting 40mins a mechanic came out, fiddled with my cooler fan relay and almost instantly the fan cut out. he said the relay was no good and needed changing,

I tried everywhere to get one with no luck, but weirdly enough it didn't happen again, you could say out of sight out of mind, as it didn't happen again I forgot all about it! until a few weeks ago I stopped and again the cooling fan had kicked in, so I moved the relay about myself and once again it had stopped! the last few days my red engine warning light has been coming on and when it does my Qashqai goes into limp mode, if I pull over and fiddle with the relay everything is fine. so I found a replacement relay online, swapped it thinking that would be the end of it.

but today again now with the new relay my red engine light came on, fiddled the new relay about and it went off!

any advice what could be wrong and how I could get this fixed:?

Thanks.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

It looks like you have an intermittant fault with the wiring or earth. You would need to check resistances & do a visual check of the associated wiring. A slim chance it could be the fuse.
SMorleyQash wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:53 pm Hi All,

New to the forum!

I have an 08 plate Qashqai and a few months back, while taking my lad to football when I turned the engine off after parking, I noticed the fan had kicked in! I thought after a few minutes it would cut out. after an hour on the field I came back to the fan still going, the battery flat and unable to do anything!

So I took advantage of my green flag, after waiting 40mins a mechanic came out, fiddled with my cooler fan relay and almost instantly the fan cut out. he said the relay was no good and needed changing,

I tried everywhere to get one with no luck, but weirdly enough it didn't happen again, you could say out of sight out of mind, as it didn't happen again I forgot all about it! until a few weeks ago I stopped and again the cooling fan had kicked in, so I moved the relay about myself and once again it had stopped! the last few days my red engine warning light has been coming on and when it does my Qashqai goes into limp mode, if I pull over and fiddle with the relay everything is fine. so I found a replacement relay online, swapped it thinking that would be the end of it.

but today again now with the new relay my red engine light came on, fiddled the new relay about and it went off!

any advice what could be wrong and how I could get this fixed:?

Thanks.
Mtw231
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Mtw231 »

Hi
Have just the same problem !
Same conditions you mentioned first fan! Tapped on relay box and stopped , now today performance went down and after a while a red engine check light came up !
How did you solve the problem??
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum - the original poster never returned...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
conrail
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by conrail »

had same problem with previous car, a ford c-max, the way around it I found was to unlock the car, restart the engine, shut down and no fan so give it a try, hope this helps