Another Nissan? No Chance!

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
mccarthm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mccarthm »

Another Nissan? No chance!

It is by far the biggest one-off purchase I have ever made. And for a while I was proud to be one of the thousands of Nissan Qashqai owners around the world.

Despite the makes truly international mix (Japanese firm, French engine etc) it also felt good to support the British workers who put my vehicle together.

But sorry fellow owners after 16 months of driving my Qashqai - I’ve had enough. Why?

Well because I don’t expect the legs to fall off a brand new sofa after such a short period. I don’t expect the components that help keep my fridge cool to pack in after less than a year and a half. So why do Nissan suggest I should take responsibility for the fact that the clutch/flywheel on my Qashqai should give up the ghost after such a short span of time?

I know, I know. It’s regular practise among manufacturers to put the failure down to “wear and tear” or even “driving style” (even though in my case I’d only reached 25,000 miles and am hardly a boy racer!)

And I’m aware that warranties mean little when the manufacturer relies on the old “wear and tear” excuse. By the way - I certainly feel worn and torn after dealing with Nissan complaints dept.

But would the sofa manufacturer tell me: “Sorry sir - it’s the way you’ve been sitting on it!” Or would the makers of my fridge try to tell me: “I’m afraid you’ve been putting in the wrong kind of food?”

So after being charged £1,800 by Nissan my questions to the company are these: “Isn’t it about time you stopped leaving people like me high and dry? Do you think my driving style changed the minute I got into my Qashqai? (I’ve been driving many different makes and models over many years without clutch problems.) and When you can’t prove what caused the clutch to fail why do you expect the customer to foot the bill?

Sure - the mechanic called it “wear and tear”. I call it a cop out.

PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Just so we understand this correctly the clutch and flywheel failed on a QQ you have owned, from new, for only 16 months?
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I understand your frustration, but it would be better to give a little more detail of your problem. Ok the clutch has failed, but how exactly? Have the friction plates worn, disintegrated, springs failed etc etc?
You appear to be higher than average mileage for only 16 months. Have you been towing at all or transporting heavy loads in the back? Is it petrol or diesel, what engine size or model? Did the clutch fail suddenly or was it over time? Did you approach Nissan directly or just your dealer?
Dealers are notorious at just passing the book, whereas dealing through Nissan directly can often yield better results.
mccarthm

Post by mccarthm »

PJB729 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:18 pm Just so we understand this correctly the clutch and flywheel failed on a QQ you have owned, from new, for only 16 months?
Correct!
mccarthm

Post by mccarthm »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 pm I understand your frustration, but it would be better to give a little more detail of your problem. Ok the clutch has failed, but how exactly? Have the friction plates worn, disintegrated, springs failed etc etc?
You appear to be higher than average mileage for only 16 months. Have you been towing at all or transporting heavy loads in the back? Is it petrol or diesel, what engine size or model? Did the clutch fail suddenly or was it over time? Did you approach Nissan directly or just your dealer?
Dealers are notorious at just passing the book, whereas dealing through Nissan directly can often yield better results.
PJB729 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:18 pm Just so we understand this correctly the clutch and flywheel failed on a QQ you have owned, from new, for only 16 months?
gvmdaddy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I understand your frustration, but it would be better to give a little more detail of your problem. Ok the clutch has failed, but how exactly? Have the friction plates worn, disintegrated, springs failed etc etc?
To answer your questions: friction plates have worn. I appreciate its higher than average mileage but certainly not excessive. It’s petrol and the car has not been used for anything other than regular driving - no towing, heavy loads. 1.6 Tekna. Sudden clutch failure. No slippage.have approached Nissan directly and Nissan dealer. Dealer was supportive - Nissan were not.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

It doesn’t seem reasonable that a clutch should fail in 25 k in normal driving conditions.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
switchback

Post by switchback »

How long did the clutches last in your previous cars?
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
Aanonymoss

Post by Aanonymoss »

160k km. I Think.
driver92
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by driver92 »

I feel your pain. I purchased a second hand DConnecta on 30th March 2019 , ( new Sept 17 ) from the dealership. With only 21k miles on it I felt I had got a good deal. I had started a new job and traded my old tekna against it which i had driven for 8+ years with no issues. I have only been driving to and from work which is mainly motorway driving, and during the past 6 months I have also been training for 12 weeks of that time where I haven't been driving at all. On 30th August ( I have had the car less than 6 months and have done less than 6k miles) the car was revving and slipping gear. I managed to drive it to the nearest dealership where they have determined i needed a new flywheel and clutch at an expense of £900. To say I am not happy is an understatement. I have made a complaint to Nissan UK but have heard nothing yet..Any advice would be appreciated, I'm gutted and also wondering how long before it happens again..
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Nothing I can add I'm afraid - apart from the £1800 quoted in the first post (which I hadn't seen) sounding rather excessive.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)