Faulty windscreen

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
TerryH
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by TerryH »

My N Connecta is now three months old and the low, winter sun has revealed something I suspected some time ago - the windscreen is faulty, showing some irregular brown lines when the low sun shines on it. It's not a heated front screen. The dealer took a photo of the lines and has told me it needs a new screen, as there is something - muck, contamination? - between the two laminated parts of the screen. They are now awaiting Nissan's approval to replace the screen. I'm a bit miffed that a £25,000 car should have been allowed out of the factory with a defective screen. Quality control? You can only see the marks when the sun is shining on it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if I am just unlucky. I have never had a screen like this in my 55-odd years of motoring. I've searched the forum and can't find any similar post. How long do Nissan take to approve such a replacement? It's a shame because I love the car, and this won't put me off. Shouldn't have happened, though.
Qq N-Connecta. DIG-T 163 1.6 Petrol. Vivid blue. Sept. 2017. Lancs., UK

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Terry, Its going to be a bit hard for the inspectors to spot this defect if its only visible in direct sunlight. I would very much think that the cars are always undercover during the manufaturing process and "sunlight" would be in very short supply.

This fault is the first I have heard of, so chances are you are just unlucky.
TerryH wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm My N Connecta is now three months old and the low, winter sun has revealed something I suspected some time ago - the windscreen is faulty, showing some irregular brown lines when the low sun shines on it. It's not a heated front screen. The dealer took a photo of the lines and has told me it needs a new screen, as there is something - muck, contamination? - between the two laminated parts of the screen. They are now awaiting Nissan's approval to replace the screen. I'm a bit miffed that a £25,000 car should have been allowed out of the factory with a defective screen. Quality control? You can only see the marks when the sun is shining on it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if I am just unlucky. I have never had a screen like this in my 55-odd years of motoring. I've searched the forum and can't find any similar post. How long do Nissan take to approve such a replacement? It's a shame because I love the car, and this won't put me off. Shouldn't have happened, though.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The latest Nissan screens are the worst I've experienced when it comes to getting scratched. When I got mine I noticed a few hairline scratches along the wiper arc easily noticeable at night when they catch the light.

Managed to polish them out completely, but I have got more since. Annoyingly the latest batch seem to be random ones and appeared after it was in for a service, I think the "free wash" they did scratched it.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, looks like you have a weird one here. There appears to be multiple comments on the web on these sort of defects ranging from dirty windows to marks within the two glass layers. There are no specific comments pointing to what is the defect except lots of pointers to the Big Red thing called the “Sun”.
This is just one sort of comment and there are many different manufacturers mentioned, whether this is a Quality defect is difficult to say, sorry cannot pin the problem down - Dave ;)

185A9C1F-4BD5-4B8B-8125-88F4A7425021.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm not the only one, Dave. BMW, eh? In good company! No date yet for the replacement screen, but I shall ask the windscreen people what they have to say and report back. Nissan dealer won't be replacing the screen. It will be done by approved windscreen fitting firm. I really like the car despite this fault.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, this might be of interest to you regarding how “Windshields” are manufactured, naturally a US fact sheet - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Whoops, forgot the attachment - Dave :oops:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-1/Automob ... hield.html
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Thanks, Dave. And I thought it was just piece of glass :D Seriously, I reckon some impurity got between the layers during manufacture. Still awaiting the go-ahead from Nissan. Cheers