Wont Start + Rac + New Battery

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

If I have the time & inclination I'll occasionally attach trickle charger, for a few hours.
ALWAYS disappears after that (warning symbol).
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

askjim

Post by askjim »

The rac said when any fault occurs with the Qashqai the start stop message will appear
whitekna

Post by whitekna »

Interesting reading, here's my story.
Back in December i started to get random stop/start system failure etc warnings. I put up with it for a few weeks but the car then went in for the rear wheel arch liner recall on 18/12/17, so i got them to look at it at the same time.
When i went to collect the car i was told that the battery was faulty and had been replaced under warranty. All was well until a couple of weeks ago when the system failure warnings started again. The warning started randomly, but got gradually more frequent until it was constant. Went to work the other day, came back to the car at the end of my shift and it wouldn't start. Called Nissan who sent out the RAC. Patrol man put a meter on the battery and said, "just as i thought, there's your problem, the battery is only showing 7 volts". He also said that he'd done loads of these and that Nissan had given the RAC a load of new batteries so that they could carry some around with them in their vans.
I asked the RAC man how the battery could have gone flat when it had only been replaced back in December. He explained that there is an earth strap underneath the battery tray (which he described as "Mickey Mouse") which can cause charging problems.
He removed the battery and put it on charge in his van. Then he removed the battery tray and tightened the bolt on the earth strap, replaced the battery and the car started. That was on Wednesday and it's been okay since.
So my advice would be, if you're getting the stop/start warning, your battery is more than likely on the way out. It would also pay to get the earth strap checked out. My car is a 65 reg, delivered in Feb 2016, so it seems like these problems are starting around the 2 year mark.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

I’m confused now. Is the RAC man saying the fault lies with the faulty earth strap or battery or is it both?
When my battery was replaced in December I was told it was due to a faulty cell, no mention of a faulty earth.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
whitekna

Post by whitekna »

Sorry Mark, didn't mean to confuse anyone.
The problem is the battery.
I had a new battery fitted in December, but it was due to the earth strap that I got the same problem again after just 1 month.
Mark46

Post by Mark46 »

That’s ok, I think I will check my QQ battery earth strap now I’ve had a new battery fitted. I know from past experience that dodgy earths can cause lots of problems.
QQ 2014 (64) 1.5dci n-tec+ (gun metallic)
DRL mod & mud flaps.
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Thought I would give a quick update on my situation. The car is actually at the garage now, waiting for them to ring, feel on tender hooks!

A day or so after my stop/start fault appeared the malfunction warning light appeared glowing orange. After a day it went out but the stop/start fault remains. Having read some tips on here, I did give the battery a good trickle charge, but that didn't work. I then took the car for an 11 mile blast in case the diesel particulate filter was dirty, but still the warning prevailed. On the way to the garage this morning by chance I tested my speed limiter and cruise control, and guess what, neither would work. I'm so pleased I checked them as was able to mention it to the service guy, who did have the audacity to ask if I knew how to operate them correctly, bloody cheek!

The car has been running fine, so lord knows what the problem is. I will update you later. Keeping everything crossed for a "done under warranty" response!

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Further update! Garage have just phoned to say it was the battery at fault, which they have replaced under warranty as there is a known fault with some of them. I haven't picked the car up yet, but they say everything is now working as it should.

At this moment in time my faith in my Nissan dealer has gone up!

I would suggest to anyone suffering bizarre electrical issues with their car, to ask Nissan for a new battery.

Cheers from a happy Doug!
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Me again! Well, I went to collect my car today, keys handed to me, all done and no bill to pay. Got into car started her up and hey presto exactly the same as when I took it in, stop/start system fault showing! I knew my dealer would not let me down with their incompetence! Back into the dealer I go, listening to all sorts of excuses, but after a 15 minute wait, the car was reset and ready to go. No errors showing at the moment, and I am going on a longish journey so should be a good test for the car. If anyone witnesses a broken down Red Qashqai at the side of the M23/M25, it could be me! Fingers crossed it isn't!

Thanks for listening

Doug
Bluey59

Post by Bluey59 »

Dreaded stop start system failure just appeared on my dash , have booked car into main dealer (Nissan Wirral) for next Tuesday.
Warranty expired 31st December 2017 😕 , assuming that the diagnostic confirms the problem being related to a duff battery (mines the afore mentioned FIAMM) does anybody reckon I can get a "goodwill" reduction as this certainly appears to be a recognised manufacturing defect.
2014 Blade silver 1.5 dci NTEC