Steering bush warranty issue

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Spangoolies
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Spangoolies »

Hi all, hope someone can help. I purchased a cared4 2014 teckna 1.2 petrol with 35k last October from nissan dealership with a years warranty and mot insurance. The car has been a bit of a nightmare with things failing on nearly a weekly basis since purchasing. Both front heated seats failed but repaired only after some arguing with the warranty department. Then the front parking sensors went haywire but repaired under warranty. Now the rear passenger door is jammed shut as the lock has broken, the dash has started rattling and the steering is generally noisy and often makes a loud rubbery 'chirping' noise when turning at low speeds i.e. Parking etc. Went back in to the dealership last week for the last 3 problems and I have just been told that the lock is broken, the dash is definitely rattling and the lower steering bush on the steering column is failing, but only the door lock will be repaired under warranty. I can kind of understand the dash rattle not being covered even though it's definitely internal (behind the dash around the passenger airbag to stereo head unit area) and not due to wear and tear. But the steering bush is what is getting me, I personally wouldn't put it down to wear and tear as I would expect bushes to last around 80-100k and roughly 7years at least. Not on a car with under 40k and only just over 3years old. I've heard this is a common problem and I would assume a fault due to a bad quality component and should be replaced under warranty. Any thoughts or ammunition people have that I can go use when I go into the dealership tomorrow to argue my case? Any help is appreciated.
On a plus note I set a new mpg record on my dash with 57mpg on a country road doing the speed limit. Chuffed to bits with the engine so far, just wish the rest of the car performed as well.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Try pointing them in the direction of the comments on the Forum as there should be enough evidence on the posts for any Nissan Dealer or even NCS to understand this problem is known. Copy the comments to show them or even send the „Higher Ups“ email copies as well as NCS - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Spangoolies

Post by Spangoolies »

Thanks
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

For the steering bush, perhaps its the grommet that surrounds the shaft as it exits the bulkhead. Try spraying a bit of WD40 at it from the pedal box area while you turn the steering wheel.
I've had rattles in various cars and could have sworn that some were behind the dash before finding they were something in the front or back door pockets. Also had real rattles in the dash, most of which went away as fast as they appeared. Last one was on the currently owned Honda CRV where I suffered a rattle for about a year before I found it on a loose fitting access door with a twist lock, just above the clutch and brake pedal. It was bad enough that it occasionally really got on my nerves until I eventually buckled down to find it.

Since you are going to the dealer [most dealers are hopeless I find], you might ask them what bush they are talking about, because if it actually is a steering rack bush, then that should surely not be excluded under the warranty. If its the bush I'm thinking of, they probably just can't be bothered because warranty wouldn't pay out for a spray of WD and they would prefer to fleece you for a few hundred quid for doing near bugger-all.
Spangoolies

Post by Spangoolies »

I think they said it's a lower bush on the steering column so probably the grommet your describing. Either way I won't be paying them to fix it. I'd rather buy the part and do it myself if the goodwill repair doesn't get accepted or Wd 40 idea doesnt work. Thanks for your reply