2018 - QQ - Auto hold not always engaging when stopping.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
RickT
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by RickT »

2018 - QQ - Auto hold not always engaging when stopping.

Point 1)
Over the first 400 miles in the car, the auto hold function has not always been engaging when stopping, so far this has occurred 5 times, but i have not got to a point of been able to replication the issue on demand.

What i have found so far though is if you come to a stop and only lightly apply the brake, (say 10% weight on the pedal/ travel) auto hold will not engage which is understandable and more than working as designed.

The issue occurs on the flat and hills, you come to a stop, push the pedal say 50% and auto hold does not engaged nor does the green autohold icon illuminate. It does not matter how hard you press the pedal it will not engage... lifting the brake pedal results in a roll. if you then drive off upto say 20mph and come to another stop and repeat the process it will work fine.

If auto hold has not engaged and you turn the car off, the auto handbrake enables as it should.

Point 2 )
On the same note, i have also found that auto hold does not disable by lifting the clutch only, (like VAG cars) you have to lift the clutch and blip the accelerator slightly to disable auto hold. If you dont, the clutch will work against the brakes and the car will stall. While this is ok on the flat or going up a hill, its not ideal when you are queueing down a hill where normally you would just lift the clutch and use torque to just roll forward a few inches... i now have to blip to disable then hit the brakes...

Has anyone else found this on the latest facelift 2018 QQ ?

Thanks
2018 Nissan Qashqai - 1.2 n Connecta + Pano Roof

switchback

Post by switchback »

It sounds to be working the same as the previous model. It will only work on a gradient and not on the flat(as it says in the handbook)and even then it's a lottery as to whether it will work or not. Sometimes mine will activate on a slight slope but not on a steeper gradient. I don't bother now and just use the handbrake to do a hill start . I can't stand it when you are stuck in a traffic queue being blinded by brake lights because drivers are too lazy to use the handbrake and would rather wear our their clutch release bearing instead. With regard to needing a bit of throttle for it to release, that is also correct and the same as other manufacturers cars I've driven.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
lapalmeraie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by lapalmeraie »

On my QQ it activates on flat terrain when: releasing the breaks and the car rolls slightly backwards/forwards. When I break the auto holds lights up.
On slopes it works always as wanted.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Spuds

Post by Spuds »

My understanding is that Auto hold is a new feature and is different to hill start assist. This will activate on the flat after I believe 2 seconds of applying the brake pedal and stays on until the accelerator is pressed. That was my experience on the Qashqai test drive, I don't pick the new car up until the 1st of March.
2018 Nissan Qashqai Tekna 1.5 dCi [Glass roof pack] Magnetic red - Delivered on 1st March 2018
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

Oh, I meant Hill start assist indeed. It will pick up directly as explained and is released 2s after releasing the break pedal.
RickT

Post by RickT »

lapalmeraie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:14 am On my QQ it activates on flat terrain when: releasing the breaks and the car rolls slightly backwards/forwards. When I break the auto holds lights up.
On slopes it works always as wanted.
Yes, this is how mine works most of the time, though sometimes its not activating hence the car then rolling forward or backwards...

Tonight it didnt engage on a hill at a junction, i quick brake to gas was fine, but it should of engaged in my opinion..

Need to get trying it to be able to replicate it every time before booking it in
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

As Spuds noticed correctly I was talking about hill assist as I wasn’t aware of this new auto hold fonction. My bad.
This said, I saw a similar post on the dutch forum. They ended up by deactivating the auto hold.
RickT

Post by RickT »

There's 2 things on the car.. Easy hill assist and auto hold handbrake.

I need to figure out when auto hold should kick in, as this morning it kicked in at the end of the road which is flat, and then in traffic didn't.

I know you should not 100% trust these systems, but it should work 100% or not at all.

I also have a new skoda superb with auto hold.. It applys the handbrake when ever the brake pedal is pressed when stopped and stays in until you move again releasing automatically .

20180129_212453.jpg

20180129_212723.jpg

20180129_212859.jpg

RickT

Post by RickT »

Done same route as normal today.. And it's worked flawless ..

What i have discovered though is the grey auto hold icon is always on when it's enabled and turns green when the handbrake engages when you come to a stop... The times its not working the grey Icon on the cluster is not eliminated like the system is disabled but the actual switch is turned on.

What I need to check is whether the switch led turns off when the system disables in its own accord. (I dont Think it does but need to double check.

So its looking like a software glitch
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

My experience with the Automatic Brake Hold is as Spuds described earlier in this thread. It activates approximately one second after the QQ has come to a complete standstill on a near to level surface using the footbrake.

Although it’s a great feature to have, I nearly always use the electric Parking Brake (when stationary at traffic lights and such) out of habit.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)