PIAA Slim Horn upgrade, now no horn

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Jimbo2018
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Jimbo2018 »

Hi,

I have fitted a replacement horn as the standard horn is embarrassing, I've fitted the PIAA slim horn as per advice on here.

Used suitable wiring to make the connections which are all nice and tight, only thing I struggled with was what was positive on the horn as the instructions were non English.

Horn did work after testing a few times, now no horn at all.

I've put the original horn back on, still no horn.

I've checked all connections I made on the PIAA horn and they're still good.

Cant find any info in the manual about the horn fuse, called Nissan and they say there isn't a fuse, I will need to take the car in to be looked at.

Surely there has to be a fuse or relay?

Anyone experience a similar problem, ive not seen online anyone having an issue doing the PIAA horn upgrade.

And if anyone knows where there is an English copy of installation for the PIAA slim dual horns so I can reference what they say, could find online as suggested by others.

Thanks in advance.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I didn't fit that upgrade but used the car's 2 connectors to partly wire my upgraded horns;
I also needed to wire in a live direct from + terminal on battery (via fuse).
Additionally I found the Nissan horn bracket on original didn't have satisfactory earth,
so had to scrape off some paint.
Mine also required a relay, which yours may not have needed.

Nissan may threaten you that your Guarantee is invalid with this installation. :roll:
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Jimbo2018

Post by Jimbo2018 »

Gel wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:25 pm I didn't fit that upgrade but used the car's 2 connectors to partly wire my upgraded horns;
I also needed to wire in a live direct from + terminal on battery (via fuse).
Additionally I found the Nissan horn bracket on original didn't have satisfactory earth,
so had to scrape off some paint.
Mine also required a relay, which yours may not have needed.

Nissan may threaten you that your Guarantee is invalid with this installation. :roll:
Thanks for the reply, pretty certain the PIAA Slender horns don't need a separate relay, read that others have not used one.

I can't see how Nissan can threaten to invalidate warranty for a horn, they could invalidate just the horn yes but not everything else on the car.

I've since discovered the Nissan dealer guy I spoke to doesn't know what he's talking about, the qashqai has a horn fuse and relay under the bonnet.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Unfortunately Nissan Owner's Manual doesn't show a fuse diagram for either of the 2 fuse boxes; very helpful.

I have a photo of inside of passenger compartment that someone posted before, so know what each fuse does in that box;
helpfully Nissan have made somewhat awkward to access.

I took my "Ring" horns to the Nissan dealer after making an appointment; on arrival Service Mgr said they
weren't allowed to fit a non Nissan accessory (Nissan not doing better ones), as would invalidate Guarantee, and potentially cause issues
with car's BCM (it's central brain if you like) :(

You don't want to give them any excuse to dodge around them paying for any issues THAT SHOULD be covered.

May assist:
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Jimbo2018

Post by Jimbo2018 »

I’ve seen that video, it’s not that detailed however.

I’m sure from looking at google the horn fuse and relay is in the fuse box in the engine bay, under the intake.

Old horn is back on, I’ll drop down to Nissan at some point, I’m not taking the intake off.

R2 is horn relay and 34 is the horn fuse

https://vgy.me/uRCFrp.jpg
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

There's no specific fuse. The horn is controlled by the BCM.

Service manual shows the horn relay in one of the fusible link blocks at the side of the battery. It may be an integrated relay (non-removable) - I haven't looked myself. Not sure what that photo is from unless it's a J10 QQ.

horn  relay.jpg

This is why I always advocate the use of a relay when fitting this stuff!

Might be worth disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to see if everything resets and the horn works again, before going to the dealer.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic