Buying Used 1.2 Petrol or 1.6 Diesel Xtronic?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Pedro500
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Pedro500 »

Hi Folks,

Looking for a used SUV for the first and upgrading from an very old 2004 Honda Accord 2.0 Automatic, which I have owned for 12 years trouble free.
My annual millage is very low and have often short journeys living in London. I'm looking for Mk 2 Qashqai with Automatic, as I like the look of it but a bit worried about its reliability after researching recently and wanted to get some feedback from actual owners here and a recommendation as to which model is suitable for me.

If I opt for the 1.6 Diesel, would I damage the DPF filter with my frequent short journeys and even though it would have used in motorway miles, by previous owner/s. The Petrol version does appeal to me but worried about its low power.

If I buy an used Qashqai, say 2014/2015 model, would you say most of the faults would have been cleared up? and how do you find the CVT box as I never driven one before, just a normal automatic with my Accord and other cars in the past.

Thanks.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Entirely personal choice. Driving around a city environment you'll have no problem with the 1.2 petrol and with the 1.5 or 1.6 diesel you'll have no problems regarding the dpf over short trips.
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I have a 2 month old 1.2 Petrol CVT and find it very quick. The CVT also is smooth and I find it better than the Kia 1.6 six speed Auto that we had previously.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Donamos
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Donamos »

Dear friends

But with is the real consume for petrol 1.2 and diesel 1.6 ?
Donamos

Post by Donamos »

I mean fuel consume for each of them
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Petrol between 30-40mpg and diesel between 45-55mpg on average. Some will get less whilst others manage more. It depends on lots of variables.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Pedro500 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am Hi Folks,

Looking for a used SUV for the first and upgrading from an very old 2004 Honda Accord 2.0 Automatic, which I have owned for 12 years trouble free.
My annual millage is very low and have often short journeys living in London. I'm looking for Mk 2 Qashqai with Automatic, as I like the look of it but a bit worried about its reliability after researching recently and wanted to get some feedback from actual owners here and a recommendation as to which model is suitable for me.

If I opt for the 1.6 Diesel, would I damage the DPF filter with my frequent short journeys and even though it would have used in motorway miles, by previous owner/s. The Petrol version does appeal to me but worried about its low power.

If I buy an used Qashqai, say 2014/2015 model, would you say most of the faults would have been cleared up? and how do you find the CVT box as I never driven one before, just a normal automatic with my Accord and other cars in the past.

Thanks.
Personal opinion. In your situation I would avoid the diesel as it just isn’t suitable for your use, and avoid the CVT automatic in the Qashqai in any situation. I’m glad that I was dissuaded by an honest salesman from buying the CVT, which I originally aimed for. There are plenty of conventional and dual clutch automatic cars available that are likely to be more reliable and more easily sold on. The salesman also went through a checklist to make sure I was aware of modern diesel’s shortcomings in exactly your likely usage pattern. Since I have a small fleet of diesel cars, I was and am confident that the diesel is right for me, so I bought not what I initially wanted but the best compromise, which was a diesel manual.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Pedro,

Do you carry a lot of things in the car, need to have 4 - 5 passengers or would a 2 seat car do? We have a Smart Car with auto box, its one of the best city cars I have ever owned. Just a thought.
Pedro500 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am Hi Folks,

Thanks.
Donamos

Post by Donamos »

i have the same issue as my friend Pedro500 , but Mr.Quacker make me "down" with his opinion for CVT automatic models . My wife is not able to drive Manual versions :)

@ dear Mr.Quacker , please can you recommend us any Qashqai version with automatic gear year 2014-2015 1.6 dci that don't have the problem of CVT ?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

2014 to 2015 was when the auto problems where around, as well as poorly built 1.2 engines.